[req] mothballing

darkconsole

Suggestion

i would like to mothball a ship.

stop using (a piece of equipment or a building) but keep it in good condition so that it can readily be used again.

keep a skeleton crew on board, like 30% of the normal mechanics  ONLY required, thats the point the profession goes from red to orange in the performance column. no engineers, no military ranks.

it needs to stop decaying, say, at 30%. in fact, just in general, ships should probably never decay lower than the mechanic percentage...........

it needs to stay in a populated sector because the entire point is to look cool.

as it is right now, it looks like its going to blow itself up.

the fact it cannot be ran well without re-staffing and rearming it is punishment enough.

some of these ships need 700+ mechanics to keep them alive which is so many.

8 answers to this suggestion

iirc there is a function to restore player wreckages in the pipeline.

which would be applicable to this since anything that is 'mothballed' would need work to bring it back up to operational spec.

so long as ships dont actually explode when their hp hits zero from being left drifting.

Very great idea! I would like to use it to keep old ships like the first ship I've build which is still following my much larger capital ship and the rest of the fleet some where without the risk of theme being blown up by constant pirat Atascadero that are meant for ships 3 materials higher.

Mothballing them in a neutral sector would be great maybe at the dock of a owned station

Very great idea! I would like to use it to keep old ships like the first ship I've build which is still following my much larger capital ship and the rest of the fleet some where without the risk of theme being blown up by constant pirat Atascadero that are meant for ships 3 materials higher.

Mothballing them in a neutral sector would be great maybe at the dock of a owned station

As I posted in darkconsole's other thread as well, you don't have to keep your old ships around if you want to 'keep' them. You can just save them and rebuild them down the line if you want with Apply Plan of your saved ship.

Unless, as in darkconsole's case, there's a ton of cargo in your ship you want to keep.

a lot of people are just not getting it between the threads and discord.

we are spending more hours in the build mode than playing the game.

i want to see my creations parked around my home sector.

it's about having cool shit to see.

don't want to park it in the middle of nowhere. dont want to destroy and rebuild it.

plus when you have to retire a ship that served you well it deserves better than being destroyed.

plus in the event of galaxy war 1, want to be able to jump home, grab a ship, grab the skeleton crew and jump back into the frey. that's kinda the point of mothballing in real life, too.

don't want to park it in the middle of nowhere. dont want to destroy and rebuild it.

plus when you have to retire a ship that served you well it deserves better than being destroyed.

You could sell that ship to a scrapyard, that way you don't have to see it being destroyed.

Not to sound harsh

but yeah im going to be harsh... deal with it. 8)

I am really getting pissed off that people dont underfuckingstand what darkconsole is saying. Everysingle person that has made a suggestion is like using cognitive dissonance or something....

Are you just fucking stupid? Or has society degenerated so badly that barely a few sentences is TLDR??? 

And the idea is a brilliant suggestion... Mechanics should set the level of decay... so if you have 12% it cant decay past 12% of course it would require materials $$$$ and 100% mechanics to restore.

But yeah

*good grief* people... get a handle on it.

/pissedtrollrant