Blown up from an Asteroid

Maxumous

sorry I think this is just your opinion of yourself and not considering others. No space game that run into asteroids blows your ship up instantly if you traveling to fast and haven't got time to slow down. unless you got a very huge ship which creates less damage. every game I played since 80s, hitting anything effects shields.

Um... no. I don't have an opinion of myself. I am what I am, that is all. My comments aren't based upon consideration of anything but reality.

My personal opinion, YMMV: I don't see shields being something that can withstand massive facet collisions between two (or more) objects of massive Masses. Deflecting smaller projectiles or energy beams, sure. Deflecting asteroids bigger than the ship..? No. Not until you have a shield count so massive and a ship larger than the average asteroid full of generators and storage. Then you become the asteroid...

It's not rocket science to me. Have you ever seen a car vs. a tree..?? Most times the tree wins. I like the comment above that the weight of the asteroid should factor in to damage etc. Because it would/should, same as the mass of your ship. Most cases the Asteroid is heavy. Like really really really really heavy. It's not moving anywhere because hooman captain forgets ships don't have brakes.

Piloting a ship is an art. It's a skill. I don't want to play a game that removes all of that. Is the 100% damage too much..? Maybe. For some people, absolutely. I play with collision damage @ 25%, going to bump it to 50% next new galaxy. I don't want to blow up either. Get damaged for being a bone head..? Sure. Lose a good chunk of material because I forgot to pay attention when I gave the crew their paychecks..? Absolutely. As there are already mechanics and settings you can use to make collisions act any way you want them too, I don't see how this is even an issue TBH.

As for games that don't blow you up, doesn't enter into my thought equation. That's them. Avorion isn't them. If we're going to make Avorion like them, why waste money here when I could just play them..? I'm sick of cookie cutter games because "everyone" wants that thing from this game and that thing from this other game till eventually we end up with just another game that plays the same as every other with different graphics.

Just an aside... I can see all of the asteroids at the monthly sector meeting now.

"OK ladies, gents and other(s)... We have a directive from the star here that says we can't wreck no more ships. It's hurting freight and tourism and it wants all of us to just cut it out. So... No more 'splosions, K..?"

No offense intended.

Cheers..!

Hmm I just started to play this game recently and I can't complain about this.

Slamming my ship with 2k+ m/s into an asteroid? I expect to blow up...in my case the surplus speed was enough to get my own small kessler syndrome going, bouncing around in the roid field, getting ground down to the core block --> lesson learned. :)

• 2 months later...

lol the collision in this game is absolute BS and game ruining with any thing over 0.2. In truth even at 0.15 it sucks!

When a ship has 3+ mill life and a 'bump' can insta jib it you know something is busted.

When I started out playing this game on servers with full collision. The game was completely unplayable.

I lost my shit 2 times within 1 hour, first time a was moving really slowly and the game acted like I had hit the asteroid at 100 mph.

The last time it happened I wasn't moving at all, I simply rotated round and hit a rock and got destroyed. Maybe its lag, but its completely unplayable on full.

To all the Get Gud nubs. I've been playing space sims for years, I know how to fly in space :P.

I do love the actual physics that go into this game, I can image the calculations are immense. But seriously the collision/lag needs a nerf.

I play on my own 10% collision server now until its safe to do otherwise :)

I lost my shit 2 times within 1 hour, first time a was moving really slowly and the game acted like I had hit the asteroid at 100 mph.

You don't specify how slow you were going, but 100 mph is approximately 45 m/s.  In Avorion terms, 100 mph is "moving really slowly".  The mining drone does 75 m/s (170 mph) without afterburner, 300 m/s (670 mph) with - and that still feels slow to me.