Farragut Class Battlecruiser [WIP]

Ell_fen

I decided to build a farragut class battlecruiser from Elite Dangerous after i saw that there were some nice plans for the ship kicking about.

I think i underestimated how much work this thing would be when i started but 11000ish blocks placed by hand (about 20000 overall in its current state) and im too deep to stop.

-stats as of a few days ago-

9710444BD1E3F8469F0D8E34251BCB6A0FD1F691

-Closer to its current progress-

8167044EB5CD2111B6AF5F8626B2B9AED4B24DD3

Still not done any of the detailing, the central structure at the back needs starting on, also the whole thing needs more paint and the insides havent been touched realy yet.

But give it another 20 hours or so and i may be done.

Give it time  :), ive got to change the outer armor when i add details so anything i mount now will probobly be removed later, i got the engines done last night so only the central structure to go before detailing

yer ive defiantly thought about it but the complex curves and support beams on the majestic would suck the life out of me as i dont think they would ever look quite right.  but hey once this is done maby il start doing an elite dangerous shipyard here so i guess the answer is maby.

yer ive defiantly thought about it but the complex curves and support beams on the majestic would suck the life out of me as i dont think they would ever look quite right.  but hey once this is done maby il start doing an elite dangerous shipyard here so i guess the answer is maby.

Well, from my own experience, I find that once I complete a ship, i find little nuances to improve it, but I wont go back to that same because of time.  In working in a class or style of ships, I find that the "next" version, bigger or smaller is easier to build and challenges are more easily overcome.

I hope that is your experience when you move onto your next ship or back to remake a familiar one.

Good luck ;)

Well, from my own experience, I find that once I complete a ship, i find little nuances to improve it, but I wont go back to that same because of time.  In working in a class or style of ships, I find that the "next" version, bigger or smaller is easier to build and challenges are more easily overcome.

I hope that is your experience when you move onto your next ship or back to remake a familiar one.

Good luck ;)

Thanks, il have to see what i can do when this is finished then.

now thats some pretty a...aft-section! Nicely done, looks pretty cool, but since i never played Elite:Dangerous i dont get it with those bumpers, on the first picture you posted they were almost invinsible, and my first thought was "why the hell he added them?", then i realized they were always there...

Surly would look damn sexy without them, but thats just my view on it, nevertheless great looking ship so far!

now thats some pretty a...aft-section! Nicely done, looks pretty cool, but since i never played Elite:Dangerous i dont get it with those bumpers, on the first picture you posted they were almost invinsible, and my first thought was "why the hell he added them?", then i realized they were always there...

Surly would look damn sexy without them, but thats just my view on it, nevertheless great looking ship so far!

Thanks for the complement on my ships b..back area.

I use the surrounding scaffolding just to make it able to move before it was more complete, and most importantly of all, i use the squares that make up the surrounding scaffolding as distance markers so that i can create this working off the plans available on the elite dangerous wiki, in the end i will remove them.

-you can see here a comparison of an early stage of construction and how the scaffolding was placed, also the main image i used as plans taken from the elite dangerous wiki-

2894E2B9FDFBE2140A2D0FEA75E4CB46C671A7F3

latest?cb=20130907142654

also no idea why the image for the plans was so small so here is a link so you can actually see the small squares i used for measuring distance

http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Farragut_Battle_Cruiser?file=Farragut_Fed._Battle_Cruiser_1.png

each square on the dorsal view is approximately the same as the squares of the scaffolding

EDIT: the image is showing as the correct size now but i will leave the link to the wiki page in anyways

Looks absolutely amazing! When I first picked up this game I had wanted to try and make this ship, but found that I lacked the creative skill.

Really looking forward to seeing it finished!

thanks for the complement, the current progress is that the ships structure and insides are pretty much done, im now working on the layered armor sections and colors of the outside.

951B704D8F8CE888468974175A8A57ECD03C3DE2

Looks absolutely amazing! When I first picked up this game I had wanted to try and make this ship, but found that I lacked the creative skill.

Really looking forward to seeing it finished!

thanks for the complement, the current progress is that the ships structure and insides are pretty much done, im now working on the layered armor sections and colors of the outside.

-snip-

Thanks for the update, looks even better with the progress so far!