Shields Up Scotty

DotSplat

Suggestion

how about updating shields to also absorb physical damage such as running into asteroids.  have the damage formula somewhat like the force formula of F=ma.  force damage = volume * speed * 1/100.  if force damage exceeds shield strength then apply remaining damage to hull.  the logic for damage to hull is already there just subtract from shield strength first then hull afterwards.

7 answers to this suggestion

I find it strange that shields stop lasers and cannon shots but not ramming damage... This would save everyone a lot of pain when docking and when a ship decides to ram you because if it's high level collision avoidance AI that would never ever allow accidental friendly ramming in combat. Sarcasm.

I find it strange that shields stop lasers and cannon shots but not ramming damage... This would save everyone a lot of pain when docking and when a ship decides to ram you because if it's high level collision avoidance AI that would never ever allow accidental friendly ramming in combat. Sarcasm.

It's a well known nautical rule that as a little ship, you better get out of the way of that oil tanker :D

On the shields part, not at all strange. Deflection light or projectiles is on a whole different level than deflecting either an enormous station mass or a whole ship.

I personally have just dialed back collision damage to 0.25 and that seems to work. You still get damage if you hit something, but at least you don't blow up straight away in most cases.

The "m" part in your equation... You're saying that your ship hurling (or crawling) into a cubic metric whale ton of mass should bounce off. At low speeds, Force wouldn't be high enough to buckle high strength shields, but anything over parking lot speeds likely would collapse, crush or otherwise collapse your barriers in a ship of moderate size. (of course depending on how much shield you're running)

Damage 0.25 is indeed your friend. It's enough to pay for your mistakes but lose the constant threat of starting over every time you get close to something.

On a tangent... I think the collisions in the game are a bit too bouncy. It's almost comical how fast things with large mass get sent flying. I'm wondering if there's an inertia component in how they start moving. If there is I'd like to up it so objects behave a little more like my large ship when starting that acceleration from being hit. May not be 100% real, but it would feel more so than the pinball feeling I get now when something gets whacked and spazzes instantaneously.

Cheers..!

how about updating shields to also absorb physical damage such as running into asteroids.  have the damage formula somewhat like the force formula of F=ma.  force damage = volume * speed * 1/100.  if force damage exceeds shield strength then apply remaining damage to hull.  the logic for damage to hull is already there just subtract from shield strength first then hull afterwards.

I wanted to discussion this on another topic I wrote and reasons why, :- http://www.avorion.net/forum/index.php/topic,3110.0.html

Neil 'Maxumous ' Short

Lol okay so this form like most of them are all the same with the collision problem I see  that almost every one is upset about one sole thing there ship was destroyed by an odd impact however most people are not taking in the idea or the real mechanics that the ship's are going faster than any land based earth vehicle "ie" a car... now my friend who I'm tryin  convince to play this game made a valid point let's look at history as reference

1. The Titanic was  a luxury ship with ice cap breaker capabilities but not for a jagged point and not for the point of impact.

2.Next is speed and this is easy even In a car 45mph is enough to damage self and other objects quite poorly and normally 55mph and above will cause death with the car ending up as a can.

3. Meters a sec is much faster than 1 mph in form it's more accurate to judge a distance and speed in meters anyways and as not accurate an example but going a simple 100m/s is like over 200mph and hitting a rock going would tin can your car if it hit a rock of equal volume with little damage to said rock

4.People over look this fact in the game alot volume don't equal mass or even cubic mass bigger don't mean solid and your ship is man made so in truth ships solid state is very weak compared to unrefined objects even like a tree compared to processed wood objects

5. And final add-on is if you want to complain about them oddities on collisions how about asking about a block that's built to be like an ice breaker haul = collision dampening haul blocks  now with that said keep in mind this block would be greatly heavier than most blocks and would not actually stop all damage and would not work if at a degree angle impact on your ships haul from my understand of the game play and mechanics since playing is there going with  good real feel not fantasy = shields stop attacks but great mass overrides shield mechanics = no shields work witch in truth is more realistic in some animes or sci-fi shows it takes a mass to bypass the shields to board the ship to turn off shields to finally do damage other than overwhelming ships power to shields with that in mind it overrides your feel that your op shields have a flaw with direct fire can't be damage....

......(Don't mind what I said after this I was just day dreaming)........

(*Alarms and critical damage warnings screaming*

:Captain:    "This is your captain speaking with a sound mind and a peaceful heart I'm ordering a full evacuation of the ship QFA One for ALL. Engine room put all power to the main engine and evacuate quickly. I will stay here till all personnel are off the ship."  *sits back down in chair and activates panel*. 

A young bridge recruit looks back as they run for the doors :Recruit: *yelling* "captain what are you doing"  *as he turns at the door and slams to emer door button. "Lets go!" *startled the captain looks up and sees the recruit* :Captain: *reaches into his breast pocket pulls out something clenched in his hand smiles faintly as he moves outta the chair and looks towards his palm  as he approaches the worried recruit reaching out towards him.*  *whispers quietly enough for the recruit to hear thrusting his fist into the recruits stomach.* *The recruit grabs the fist too late as he flings backwards.* Few crewmen over see the commotion faintly rush to secure the recruit that lies on the floor as the captain demands them the grab him and leave immediately. Captain turns and slams the door panel causing it to shut then breaks it afterwards rushing back to the helm and slams into the controls looks out towards the display view of an enormous ship. *Grins* as the panel chirps all fighters transports and  pods have been deployed *opening up audio channels on all comms* "We never give up we never surrender we break the unbreakable" :Recruit: * awakes abruptly surprised as the pod launches staggers to his feet as the crewmen help him to his feet still grasping his abdominal* a tweet on the incoming comms are heard as all men look towards the window peering out. "Unbreakable" :Captain: "We will beat the unbeatable no matter how small no matter how dim the hope is I will not yield!" *Slamming his fist into the ignition command as he takes his other hand reaches out face open extended all he way* "I won this round" *the recruit runs to the window and yells as he looks apon the ship's engines burst in a terrifying breath of life at 6000+m/s* *the pod flys away as it surveys the image  of a monstrous ship overshadowing a lesser sized ship speeding towards the giant as the haul explodes in areas while overwhelming gunfire sprays the location of the moving ship*  :recruit: *tears running down his face as he gazes a star like explosion where 2 ships stood while whispering* "the star of great hope burns as it is born"      .... 10 so years later the now aged recruit peers into a mirror as he sees the Captin staring back. * Alarms sound exclaiming enemy fire is confirmed and ship taking damage* *Captain firmly and calmly enters the bridge adjusting his hat as a tear falls but faintly unseen  with a raised stern voice*  "All hands prepare for combat all stations battle stations engine room give me full power" A young recruit of a lightly damage ship looks out over a battle field in the space beyond the glass. One ship appears behind the front lines racing towards the enemy ships :Captain: *removes an object from his pocket and raises it gently as he gazes on it softly he smiles* "All batteries fire" he looks at his second and gives him the object the crewmen ask what he gave him the captain said laughing as he grabs his stomach the captain's star and name of his once operated ship and told them he was a recruit back then

On the shields part, not at all strange. Deflection light or projectiles is on a whole different level than deflecting either an enormous station mass or a whole ship.

This is basically the exact reasoning I had in my head for why shields do nothing for collisions.

And on the subject of collisions:

As demonsangels69 said, 100m/s is more or less 223MPH, and 100m/s is SLOW in avorion terms.

So yeah, when you stop and think about the speeds ships are travelling at, you get a much better appreciation for why collisions do so much damage.