Steamgameserver_init call failed :)

Theblackpheonix

Any help fixing this would be appreciated I have tried the --use-steam-networking 1 and this is the result after having that in the bat file.

steam%20prob_zps3t4kfziv.png?t=1490080751

Also the skipping 1 frame spam is caused by players not being able to receive udp packets so can you set it up so that it messes with the player not the server it is causing lag server wide. I know this is something that is not a easy fix but it would be appreciated.

tcp_zps8w5ditkl.png

My Windows Dedicated Server show the exact same issue.

Ist ist really just steamcmd?

zeige-flagge-221642.html text

I do not use Steam CMD like described in the Wiki Tutorial “Setting up a server”
So there is no need for third party installers or other software.
I use the integrated files for server and start batch from the steam files and my galaxy is stored in %AppData%.
WinRAR Backups with “keep previous. file versions” run multiple times a day.
All server processes (AvorionServer.exe, conhost.exe) enjoy the realtime setting and my users are happy with server performance.
So do I.
But I got this “skipping 1 frame thing” when I’m playing too.

Forwarded Ports:
TCP 27000-27003
TCP 27000-27003
UDP 27020-27021
UDP 27020-27021

The messages in log…

• Error starting steam-based networking. Falling back to standard TCP/UDP protocols
  • Server communicator received message that remote host is not receiving UDP packets. Switching to TCP only.
  • The fallback TCP/UDP protocols are deprecated and potentially UNSAVE!
    If you´re running a dedicated Server, this is Highly discouraged!
    Use steam networking instead; Enable with --use-steam-networking 1

…seems familiar for windows dedicated servers using the steam files:

Additional Info:

Glancing through the Tutorial again I may check the server machine settings for outgoing traffic of AvorionServer this evening when I’m home.

My users are very happy with the actual Server and TCP connection.

I would have expected a message from the firewall for additional blocked ports of outgoing traffic…

zeige-flagge-39278.html Text

Ich benutze nicht Steam CMD, wie beschrieben im Wiki Tutorial “Setting up a server”

So brauche ich keine fremden Installer oder andere Software.

Ich verwende die mitgelieferten Server Dateien und die Start-Batch aus den Steam Dateien und meine Galaxie ist in %AppData% gespeichert.

WinRAR Backups mit „vorherige  Dateiversionen erhalten“ laufen mehrmals am Tag.

Alle Serverprozesse (AvorionServer.exe, conhost.exe) genießen die Echtzeit-Einstellung und meine Benutzer sind mit der Serverleistung zufrieden.

Ich auch.

Aber ich habe auch das “skipping 1 frame Ding”, wenn ich spiele.

Weitergeleitete Ports:

TCP 27000-27003
TCP 27000-27003
UDP 27020-27021
UDP 27020-27021

Die Fehlermeldungen im Log…

• Error starting steam-based networking. Falling back to standard TCP/UDP protocols
  • Server communicator received message that remote host is not receiving UDP packets. Switching to TCP only.
  • The fallback TCP/UDP protocols are deprecated and potentially UNSAVE!
    If you´re running a dedicated Server, this is Highly discouraged!
    Use steam networking instead; Enable with --use-steam-networking 1

…scheinen für Windows dedizierte Server mit den Steam-Dateien bekannt:

Zusätzliche Informationen:

Hab das Tutorial gerade nochmal überflogen; Ich werde mal die Servereinstellungen für den ausgehenden Datenverkehr von AvorionServer überprüfen, wenn ich heute Abend zu Hause bin.

Meine Benutzer sind eigentlichen mit dem Server- und der TCP-Verbindung sehr zufrieden.

Ich hätte eine Nachricht von der Firewall erwartet, dass zusätzliche Ports für ausgehenden Verkehr blockiert sind oder sowas...

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

I have found another probable cause for the issue.

Since I am hosting servers for multiple games this is an issue I sometimes encounter:

It is possible port 27000 is already in use.

Avorion needs port 27000, otherwise it wil not connect to the Steam network and you will be stuck to the UDP protocols (which, i think, also cause crashes due to corrupt packets that cause crazy 100% CPU usage).

How do you check this?

Open CMD on your machine (Windows), fill in the following command:

netstat -a -b

This will show a list of all ports that are used and the program that uses it (also listening ports since 27000 is a listening port).

you could output this to Excel or notpad for an easier search (right mouse on CMD, select all, right mouse again and past in Notpad or anywhere else).

Look for port 27000 and the application that uses it, if it's not Avorion, there is your issue.

In my case Garry's MOD was the issue, simply shut down the application that uses that port, make sure to restart Avorion and check if the other application is smart enough to use a different port, otherwise see if you can change the port manualy for that application.

Update from my previous post:

After changing GMOD to another port so 27000 was free to use by Avorion the issue hasn't shown itself anymore.

this also fixed another issue where the server side would (after 1 or 2 hours of running with players) spike it's CPU using 100% of the total CPU usage OR it would drop to a total 0% until users logged off, users logging off would cause the server to start using a lot of CPU untill it got a 100% and wouldn't go down so a hard reset of the server instance was needed.

After making sure the game uses the Steam network this issue has not happend anymore (and it's been running more then 20 hours now with a consistant stream of players from our community)

added a how to video, sorry for the lenght, but there is a summary after the 14 minute marker :).