[MOD] Supermodules: Near limitless turret slots.

jupiter878

Premise:

In the vanilla game, the legendary turret upgrades and Xsotan artifacts are at the limit of the amount of power that a single upgrade can possess. I have been finding a way to expand beyond this since I have found this limit. A few days ago, I have succeeded in creating one myself, with the help of a fellow player, infal.

Instructions:

-use this link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/w1kif30xxcjgf34/data.zip?dl=0

-after downloading it, right click and choose extract to data.

-paste that folder inside this directory - Steam\SteamApps\common\Avorion - and merge with the previous data folder, etc.

-you will find that if you combine five of any of the Xsotan artifacts at a research station, they do not simply yield another Xsotan artifact, but instead an entirely new upgrade. This upgrade, like the other Xsotan artifacts, do not consume power, but gives five times more turret slots. My (written) excuse for this is that the legendary Xsotan tech allows conservation of all power from there on out.

-And by there on out, I mean there's three more levels of upgrades that I added, with each being

obtained by combining five of the previous tier upgrade, and having five times the power of the previous

tier upgrade as well, with no extra energy consumed. The numbers are included in the name, so it

shouldn't be too hard to add or figure out which is which.

-Five Xsotan artifacts combined yield one 2nd tier super upgrade.

-Five 2nd tier super upgrades combined yield one 3rd tier super upgrade.

-Five 3rd tier super upgrades combined yield one 4th tier super upgrade.

-Five 4th tier super upgrades combined yield one 5th tier super upgrade.

-It's still not infinite - and yes, I realize that there is never enough dakka - , but I think stopping at 3125 turret slots for one upgrade will be good enough for a very long time.

-Five.

-Five raised to the fifth power.

-Jupiter, the Fifth planet.

-I like matching numbers.

Suggestions/precautions:

-Do modify and/or reply if you see anything that can be improved, any bugs, or whatsoever. While I'm still a n00b at any kind of programming whatsoever, I'll still attempt to deal with issues and questions.

-These will not protect you from dumb A.I. ships ramming or fatal, unfortunate maneuvering accidents involving asteroids. I see no reason to suspect that the tragedy of losing a capital ship to some random collision would be any less painful if one of the modules that was lost in it once enabled you to have the firepower of an entire armada. Please do take caution when dealing with those things, in the way that you would treat a precious jewel.

-Stick to the recipe. Unlike the other puny upgrades, these only work when five of the ingredients are combined, and if you use four, the chance is 0% instead of 80%, and will only yield you that second Xsotan upgrade again. Be very careful not to accidentally degrade your multi-hundred turret enabling upgrade into one artifact.

-As the total number of slots increase, the turrets on ship menu will become harder and harder to see, as well as increasing lag at that screen. While the recent update has allowed us to see hundreds of turret slots and set them to groups with ease, it becomes almost unrecognizable when the numbers start to reach thousands, and lag will be significant. But even then, the lag is limited to when you have opened the ship menu, so as long as you don't try too hard to assign turret groups, you'll be fine even when you have more than ten thousand turrets.

-Do keep in mind that this mod edits the researchstation.lua file. Any other mods that also edit it will probably cause conflict with this one.

-Build your dreams.

-Blot out the sun, fight in the shade.

-Pierce and darken the skies of every world with your bullets. No drills included, sadly.

-Watch as your computer enemies groan and melt.

-Do enjoy.

Screenshots&Graphics

kO4llr6.jpg

MGXIV1q.jpg

UYoVuvy.jpg

KXwCwec.jpg

tQP5zXT.jpg

TXrdkOe.jpg

Ex3vTSv.jpg

Q4JFnp4.jpg

An imaginary cookie goes for anybody who guesses all the references I've made here

Neat idea.

But what do you think to expand the basic idea to enhance all other modules to Super status too.

You take 1 legendary stanard turret enhance + 4 Xsotan artifacts to your 2nd tier super upgrade.

Now you could replace the leg. turret enhancer with at example a cargo enhancer to get a 2. tier super cargo enhancer.

• 3 weeks later...

This mod was working for me a ways back, but in the last two weeks or so it has stopped functioning and indeed doesn't allow any research to be conducted at all. The upgrade modules themselves still work, but any attempt to do research on anything, artifact-related or vanilla, simply causes nothing to happen. I've tried visiting several different research stations and they all have this issue, and replacing the modified researchstation.lua with the vanilla version allows researches to be carried out again.

I kept watching this thread to see if someone else was having a similar problem as I had more serious issues even getting the game to load, so I hope it's not just me and something on my end.

This is the error log that gets generated by it.

2017-04-12 00-10-38| could not execute function 'research' in '"data/scripts/entity/merchants/researchstation.lua"':

2017-04-12 00-10-38| property not found or not readable: InventoryTurret.script

2017-04-12 00-10-38| stack traceback:

2017-04-12 00-10-38| [C]:-1: in function __index

2017-04-12 00-10-38| data/scripts/entity/merchants/researchstation.lua:517: in function transformToCustomSuperModule

2017-04-12 00-10-38| data/scripts/entity/merchants/researchstation.lua:481: in function ?

2017-04-12 00-10-38| Setting script "data/scripts/entity/merchants/researchstation.lua" to invalid.

2017-04-12 00-10-42| An error occurred during remote call to 'research' in script "data/scripts/entity/merchants/researchstation.lua". Function doesn't exist.

• 3 weeks later...

On a side note,

should the math hold up from the ground up (Petty), then essentially (For armed turrets at least) by the time you got to the alternative Legendary module, you'd already be at five to the power of six, meaning a maximum of over 15.5k turrets at one go, depending tho, on how would the higher-tier modules from the regular module tree would be calculated into the modded tree.

And by the time one's get to superupgrade tier 4, it'd be 5^10, netting a max of just under 10M turrets apiece.

• 4 months later...