Variable Angle Blocks

DotSplat

Suggestion

allow aesthetic blocks, meaning for design, to have variable angles.  allow them to tick in 1 degree increments and allow them to overlap.  i like the locked rotation blocks but i cant angle them.  this would also allow for much easier ship design.

4 answers to this suggestion

I am very sure that this won't happen in the foreseeable future.

The thing is, that the engine is limited in its capabilities in this regard. If you look at your ship xmls you will see an attribute "look" and an attribute "up" for each block. They determine the rotation of the block.  Think of the values as sides of a cuboid which surround the block. Fixing two sides to certain positions precisely determines the rotation.

Changing this system would very likely require a very significant amount of work and time.

But in the end it's something only koonschi will know for certain.

Mmm ...

Another downside might be completing the look.

By that i mean, once you tilt somewhere, how will you ever line it up to close it off?

And ... Imagine the complexities if you tilt 10 degrees one way, and 10 degrees in another?

If you've ever built a staircase or installed a door - in real life - you will know exactly what i mean

I'd be happy just allowing eight degrees of rotation around each axis instead of only four.  Being able to mount blocks and subconstructs at 45 degree angles would make certain things a whole heck of a lot easier to build.  And it wouldn't make things too difficult to match up, either.