[MOD] Improved Trading Overview

geostar1024

I was most of the way through making this mod before I realized one already existed (https://www.avorion.net/forum/index.php/topic,2252.0.html) . . .

Anyway, the purpose of Improved Trading Overview is to make the Trading Overview a bit more useful and provide reasons to upgrade (and permanently install!) the trading system module beyond expanding the number of sectors kept in the trade route history.

As of v0.30, most of the UI functions have been entirely rewritten, and the bulk of the code has been moved to a new file ("improvedtradingoverview.lua"), with just a small bit of code needed in the base file to call the new one. This should make the mod much less sensitive to changes in the base file.

This is a client-side mod.

Features list:

• Station stock added to trade routes at module rarity Exotic and higher
  • Profit per trade route added to trade routes at module rarity Legendary and higher
  • Trade routes sorted by profit at module rarity Legendary and higher
  • Fixed operation of Common and Uncommon modules (now the descriptions are accurate)
  • Tooltip on good icon displays jump distance, as well as required volume at module rarity Exotic and higher
  • Filter system for zeroing in on just the desired trade routes (v0.22), requires permanent installation (v0.30)
  • Power consumption according to rarity, sector history size, and whether permanently installed (v0.30)

With this mod installed, the following list describes how the Trading Overview modules work now:

Trading Overview operations added by module rarity:

• Petty: adds "View trading offers of all stations of the sector"
  • Common: adds "Display prices of goods"
  • Uncommon: adds "Display price ratios of goods"
  • Rare: adds "Display inventories of stations", "Display trade routes in sector", and a filter* for jumps (since permanent installation can now add sector history)
  • Exceptional: adds "Display trade routes in last x sectors" and a filter* for unsafe goods
  • Exotic: adds a filter* for cargo space
  • Legendary: adds "Display estimated profit for each trade route" and a filter* for up-front cost (in credits)

* Filters are only available when the module is permanently installed.

Mod in action:

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2871.0;attach=1041;image

Installation:

The installation process has changed with the 0.3x branch.

[*]Place the file "improvedtradingoverview.lua" in "/data/scripts/lib"

[*]Paste the following code at the bottom of the script "/data/scripts/systems/tradingoverview.lua"

-- begin improved trading overview mod
function routesByProfit(a, b)
    -- calculate max profit
    local pa = (a.sellable.price - a.buyable.price)* math.min((a.sellable.maxStock-a.sellable.stock),a.buyable.stock)
    local pb = (b.sellable.price - b.buyable.price)* math.min((b.sellable.maxStock-b.sellable.stock),b.buyable.stock)
    return pa > pb
end
require ("improvedtradingoverview")
-- end improved trading overview mod

Known issues:

• mobile merchants are not yet included
  • filter settings reset after every jump

Version history:

v0.31 - updated icon names (thanks to Simahn)

v0.30 - rewrote (and fixed) all UI functions, moved most code to new file, added support for permanent installation and energy consumption

v0.22 - added first iteration of filters based on rarity and fixed the ability to go to arbitrary empty pages

v0.21 - actually added the jump distance and cargo volume to the icon tooltip, used the most recent non-beta patch as the base file, and indicated the changes in the file with begin/end comments

v0.2 - added jump distance and cargo volume to good icon tooltip

v0.1 - initial release

Comments, questions, and suggestions are welcome!

improvedtradingoverview-v0.31.zip

Sorry for not responding sooner! I'm still seeing the profit column in my test games and, with the legendary module, the profits show and are properly sorted; would you mind posting a screenshot to show what's not right?

One minor thing wrong is that icon tooltip that should show the volume required and the jump distance doesn't seem to be working anymore; I'll see if I can sort it out.

EDIT: for some reason the tooltip stuff didn't make it into the file that I uploaded before, so that explains some things; v0.21 is up now.

i am noticing that the stock counts are not getting updated, even on sector change. bought all 10,000 units, jumped to another sector, sold them, jumped back, trade ui still says there are 10k at that station there are now 0 at.

figured it would update next time i visited the sector at the very least... but nope.

looking at the source i think thats just how it is even before you got to it. but i wonder if we can fix it between the two of us.

• 1 month later...

Heya...

As I said before, I like this mod, adds very nice details to somebody bent on trading up to the eventual cash limit of 2.1B creds...

I especially like that it gives you cargo data to have in order to fully mine that traderoute up.

And it also allows you to look at the sectors of both ends of the trade route.

Although, as was mentioned previously, the mod does not recheck the values every time the sector is opened or closed, leaving the routes up there, even though they've been already utilized to some, or full extent.

Further more, in playing with the mod on, I came to think about it, and I realized, that it could be improved even more, making it more useful, helpful and fun to use...

Let's divide it into some chunks...

1. Possible improvements on existing functionality

--- The mod already has the function to tell you, the amount of cargo required for 100% utilization of a certain trade route. I would suggest coloring the trade routes in such a way, that it'd show, with the X of cargo space available at the moment, that This particular trade route is claimable to the fullest extent.

If not, then it'd be useful for the mod to do a simple calculation, of the minimum amount of % in cargo modules one needs to put up.

--- Trading routes, that involve carrying dangerous cargo, such as Fluorine, warheads, war robots and so on, could be highlighted as well, and I feel they should, so that one would zoom about as quickly as possible, not to stop anywhere on the way. Very important info, this.

--- Also, somehow denoting the factories/trade spots in current sector might be helpful, as well as in-sector, local, trade-routes....

--- When one sees the map link to see the factory position, and one would then spot, that the place of business is not in the current sector, then maybe putting up a direct "Set jump coordinates" button could be an interesting option... and should the sector be out of reach, then.. see further points.

2. Cargo trading

--- I think that the ships' cargo should be taken as essentially sellable also.

An entirely new sub-window suggests itself, where the cargo of your ship can be ticked off as "to get rid off / to sell" for whatever reason, either for best profit, or ASAP.

--- Already held cargo could have the Dangerous/illegal element to it also, meaning that the ship's just a sitting target for a destroyer to fly about and ... kaboom. I would suggest, the trading overview could put up warnings, if dangerous cargo is spotted, either as trade item in a route, or as an cargo inventory.

Further cargo trading, see Fleet management.

3. Fleet management

--- Many players do employ fleets, which on occasion tend to pick up cargo and carry it about...

I'd suggest a possibility (under some circumstances, such as when multiple legendaries are put up..) of surveying player's in-sector or in scanner range (or something) other ships' cargo, so that it could be also put up in the cargo trading window.

--- Also, free space in other ships' cargo bay could be added to calculations regarding if some trade route is possible to fully deploy at the moment, or whether additional cargo % modules are needed.

--- Once again, the dangerous cargo warning bleeper would be nice, so that one knows, that some of his other ships carries a dangerous cargo, that needs to be got rid of, traded, or otherwise kept in mind.

4. Jackpots

Also a useful point would be, for the mod to spot a notable loose ends, Jackpots. Such a jackpot, in my eyes, is defined as a request for the maximum amount of some item (25k .. meaning the standing inventory is at 0), at about the maximum amount of price % over spot, which for the 25k inventory is around 40%, if I recall. And the other way also, if there's in some mine/factory/post an item, which is at over 90% inventory, and selling at an unusual discount.

These Jackpots are quite often passed by, unnoticed, because the other end remains untied. But if one is a trader by nature, as I am, one leaves to himself some sector notes, say "20k wires at below spot" or something, so that he remembers seeing them around, and by reminding one, that such a Jackpot demand is present, would remind him to visit the sectors he was before he put the trading module in, to collect such items and therefore, in essence, intentionally create a trade route, instead of them being observed only passively.

5. Connections

Let us say, that one sets up to "mine" a trade route, meaning, that one commits oneself to a journey from station/mine/ship-cargo-item A, situated in sector S(A), to a station/mine B at S(B).

Couldn't the mod atop the cargo requirements and jump distance, suggest to him Other connected choices? Such as

- To get the factory running, you also need: <items> (some thought could be spent on how to go about this point)

- To this factory, you can also bring following items, <items> from within the last X sectors

- If you're about to do this, then there are also other trades between S(A) and S(B), that you might be interested in: <routes, with profits, cargo, danger status and so on>

Essentially, calculating the most profitable use of the trade route above the present cargo space, but possibly even suggesting that if one put up an X(1,2,3)% cargo boost, this route could get even more profitable by Y(1,2,3) million credits.

6. Routing

Should it prove impossible or undesirable to jump from S(A) -> S(B) directly, the mod could allow one to plan a route. Let's say, that from the last X (depending on module) sectors, you'd commit to a certain trade route (S(A), S(1), ... S(B) ), either by clicking on one suggested, or by simply selecting sectors. Based on available cargo and supply/demand in sector, the mod could then provide the most profitable (the most cargo-space utilizing) shopping list to adhere to. Go to station S1: buy/sell <item>, S2: b/s <item>, ... jump to S(2) ... etc, all the way to S(B).

Keeping in mind the Danger/illegal factor of some possible trades.

7. Hitlist / Valuable Items detected

Given missions, accepted missions, or self appointed missions sometimes contain a list of items to be gotten. I feel that it shouldn't be all that hard to set up a hitlist of items that one needs/wants to get, or is at the lookout for, such as a list of items to be obtained to get one's weapon of choice.

And such as the Object detector does, the trade mod could give a warning, when sought-after items become purchasable. In combination with the cargo survey, it could easily hold the info about how much of each item one needs/wants, and not to stop looking until the sought limit within the cargo hold is reached.

Note: on adding wished-for items, the recent sectors history could also be surveyed...

8. Notes

Would it be hard to set up a function, that could export trading notes, such as <station> <item> <No. of units for sale/to buy> <unit price>... either to sector notes, or to a separate database/note-space?

They could easily be kept in a more manageable fashion, than the ones in the map, because they could be looked through en mass, not just on mouse_over, and they could be very easily searched, which is currently just about impossible for sector notes (or so I've been told).

<Upon second though, point no.9 could be a bit disruptive for multiplayer scenarios. If you want to hear it, message me....>

10. Traveling salesmen?

This may be unobtainable, but it'd be nice, if the inventory of traveling salesmen could also be surveyed, processed and involved in data available in previous points, such as hitlist, and so on..

I never recall seeing the items from these people in the trading overview.

There's a nagging suspicion in my mind, that I forgot some point, but it'll come to me in some time...

To sum it all up: Your mod is very fine in helping people to get themselves well off as far as money goes. I like it very much, as I said.

The additional points, that I tried to explain here, are aimed at helping people with other aspects of gameplay, not only with reaching the wealth limit..

I'm not a modder, so I have no idea how any of the points may be difficult to implement, but if at least some of them are in time put in, the mod will start being even more over-all useful to the players.

Thank you very much for making the mod, Geostar.

Any chance to allow to delete / hide / grey out some of the routes detected? Currently after performing the trade I keep coming back to the same trade after forgetting that I already did it >.<.

Ideally it would be awesome to update the detected trades upon each transaction, but that could be asking too much?

• 4 weeks later...

Any chance to allow to delete / hide / grey out some of the routes detected? Currently after performing the trade I keep coming back to the same trade after forgetting that I already did it >.<.

Ideally it would be awesome to update the detected trades upon each transaction, but that could be asking too much?

I myself don't generate any of the route data, so that's currently up to the route data generation code. Offhand, I'm not sure how exactly it's done, but I agree that it would be nice for the data to be updated after trading has occurred. I feel like it's possible that may happen if the module is removed and replaced, but have not tested it.

--- The mod already has the function to tell you, the amount of cargo required for 100% utilization of a certain trade route. I would suggest coloring the trade routes in such a way, that it'd show, with the X of cargo space available at the moment, that This particular trade route is claimable to the fullest extent.

If not, then it'd be useful for the mod to do a simple calculation, of the minimum amount of % in cargo modules one needs to put up.

So, in other words, to do an additional sorting of trade routes based on currently available cargo and/or display the percentage of installed cargo required to fully exploit a traderoute?

--- Trading routes, that involve carrying dangerous cargo, such as Fluorine, warheads, war robots and so on, could be highlighted as well, and I feel they should, so that one would zoom about as quickly as possible, not to stop anywhere on the way. Very important info, this.

Mmm, yes, it would be nice to have a similar kind of highlighting as you get in the cargo interface. And I suppose a show/hide checkbox for routes with dangerous cargo would be nice to go along with that.

--- Also, somehow denoting the factories/trade spots in current sector might be helpful, as well as in-sector, local, trade-routes....

Well, technically that information is already displayed (in that the name of the source and destination structures are displayed). And I believe that in-sector trade routes are shown as well.

--- When one sees the map link to see the factory position, and one would then spot, that the place of business is not in the current sector, then maybe putting up a direct "Set jump coordinates" button could be an interesting option... and should the sector be out of reach, then.. see further points.

Interesting quality-of-life idea; not sure how to do that right at present (maybe it's just as simple as calling the jump prep function with the coordinates).

2. Cargo trading

--- I think that the ships' cargo should be taken as essentially sellable also.

An entirely new sub-window suggests itself, where the cargo of your ship can be ticked off as "to get rid off / to sell" for whatever reason, either for best profit, or ASAP.

--- Already held cargo could have the Dangerous/illegal element to it also, meaning that the ship's just a sitting target for a destroyer to fly about and ... kaboom. I would suggest, the trading overview could put up warnings, if dangerous cargo is spotted, either as trade item in a route, or as an cargo inventory.

So perhaps add an extra layer of sorting to trade routes, so that routes involving cargo you have on your ship would rise to the top regardless of all other factors? Seems pretty doable.

3. Fleet management

--- Many players do employ fleets, which on occasion tend to pick up cargo and carry it about...

I'd suggest a possibility (under some circumstances, such as when multiple legendaries are put up..) of surveying player's in-sector or in scanner range (or something) other ships' cargo, so that it could be also put up in the cargo trading window.

--- Also, free space in other ships' cargo bay could be added to calculations regarding if some trade route is possible to fully deploy at the moment, or whether additional cargo % modules are needed.

--- Once again, the dangerous cargo warning bleeper would be nice, so that one knows, that some of his other ships carries a dangerous cargo, that needs to be got rid of, traded, or otherwise kept in mind.

Interesting suggestion for the functionality of multiple legendaries. I'm not sure exactly how I'd go about implementing this right at present, but I do like these ideas. Personally, I've not played around with fleets in-game at all, so I'm not really familiar with how to use them effectively.

4. Jackpots

Also a useful point would be, for the mod to spot a notable loose ends, Jackpots. Such a jackpot, in my eyes, is defined as a request for the maximum amount of some item (25k .. meaning the standing inventory is at 0), at about the maximum amount of price % over spot, which for the 25k inventory is around 40%, if I recall. And the other way also, if there's in some mine/factory/post an item, which is at over 90% inventory, and selling at an unusual discount.

These Jackpots are quite often passed by, unnoticed, because the other end remains untied. But if one is a trader by nature, as I am, one leaves to himself some sector notes, say "20k wires at below spot" or something, so that he remembers seeing them around, and by reminding one, that such a Jackpot demand is present, would remind him to visit the sectors he was before he put the trading module in, to collect such items and therefore, in essence, intentionally create a trade route, instead of them being observed only passively.

Arguably this is the whole point of the module, to automatically put together trade routes based on the data it has. I understand your reasoning behind the jackpot idea, but without a place to sell the goods, I'm not sure that tagging sectors with that data makes much sense. As an example, I ran across a facility selling 100+ Mining Robots at 50% of their spot price, so I of course bought a bunch. And then spent the next few hours wandering from system to system futilely looking for a place to offload them (finally, I managed to sell off enough to cover about half the initial purchase, and just dumped the rest). My point is that while such occurrences can be interesting to make note of, I'm not sure they're actually useful from a trading perspective. Plus, if you ever find a sink for that trade good, the trading interface will create the trade route for it, so you don't have to worry about it yourself.

5. Connections

Let us say, that one sets up to "mine" a trade route, meaning, that one commits oneself to a journey from station/mine/ship-cargo-item A, situated in sector S(A), to a station/mine B at S(B).

Couldn't the mod atop the cargo requirements and jump distance, suggest to him Other connected choices? Such as

- To get the factory running, you also need: <items> (some thought could be spent on how to go about this point)

- To this factory, you can also bring following items, <items> from within the last X sectors

- If you're about to do this, then there are also other trades between S(A) and S(B), that you might be interested in: <routes, with profits, cargo, danger status and so on>

Essentially, calculating the most profitable use of the trade route above the present cargo space, but possibly even suggesting that if one put up an X(1,2,3)% cargo boost, this route could get even more profitable by Y(1,2,3) million credits.

6. Routing

Should it prove impossible or undesirable to jump from S(A) -> S(B) directly, the mod could allow one to plan a route. Let's say, that from the last X (depending on module) sectors, you'd commit to a certain trade route (S(A), S(1), ... S(B) ), either by clicking on one suggested, or by simply selecting sectors. Based on available cargo and supply/demand in sector, the mod could then provide the most profitable (the most cargo-space utilizing) shopping list to adhere to. Go to station S1: buy/sell <item>, S2: b/s <item>, ... jump to S(2) ... etc, all the way to S(B).

Keeping in mind the Danger/illegal factor of some possible trades.

Now this would be a very interesting feature (something I've thought about myself), but quite a job to work out the logic for, I think. Certainly it's on my own wishlist :-).

7. Hitlist / Valuable Items detected

Given missions, accepted missions, or self appointed missions sometimes contain a list of items to be gotten. I feel that it shouldn't be all that hard to set up a hitlist of items that one needs/wants to get, or is at the lookout for, such as a list of items to be obtained to get one's weapon of choice.

And such as the Object detector does, the trade mod could give a warning, when sought-after items become purchasable. In combination with the cargo survey, it could easily hold the info about how much of each item one needs/wants, and not to stop looking until the sought limit within the cargo hold is reached.

Note: on adding wished-for items, the recent sectors history could also be surveyed...

This sounds like it could be its own tab, a kind of shopping list as you say, that would, over time, compile the locations and prices for the various components on the list. This functionality could probably have levels tied to the module rarity as well.

8. Notes

Would it be hard to set up a function, that could export trading notes, such as <station> <item> <No. of units for sale/to buy> <unit price>... either to sector notes, or to a separate database/note-space?

They could easily be kept in a more manageable fashion, than the ones in the map, because they could be looked through en mass, not just on mouse_over, and they could be very easily searched, which is currently just about impossible for sector notes (or so I've been told).

I've certainly used the sector notes function to hold small bits of trading information. A proper notes/journal feature would be great, but I feel like it's outside the scope of this mod. Certainly I'd want to let this mod export relevant data to such a notes feature, of course.

10. Traveling salesmen?

This may be unobtainable, but it'd be nice, if the inventory of traveling salesmen could also be surveyed, processed and involved in data available in previous points, such as hitlist, and so on..

I never recall seeing the items from these people in the trading overview.

Now that you mention it, I'm not sure either. If they aren't included, including them would require figuring out and modifying the route data itself.

To sum it all up: Your mod is very fine in helping people to get themselves well off as far as money goes. I like it very much, as I said.

The additional points, that I tried to explain here, are aimed at helping people with other aspects of gameplay, not only with reaching the wealth limit..

I'm not a modder, so I have no idea how any of the points may be difficult to implement, but if at least some of them are in time put in, the mod will start being even more over-all useful to the players.

Thank you very much for making the mod, Geostar.

I greatly appreciate all of your feedback! And I'm glad that others are finding my changes as useful and fun as I do.

Yeyyy! Hello Geostar, welcome Bach!

I'm so glad that you came back after .. what was it.. 3 months?

I even tried find you through every player that I know of.. no banana.

... the reason being, that with the trading now Improved to oblivion, where the vast majority of players are

damn close to be surfin' the rim of bankruptcy, if they want to have a decent ship, and to have a reasonable

FP on it...

I feel, that your mod is one of the potentially most useful ones out there...

Even more to the point, from what I hear, since the update, the majority of stations one finds, are empty.

Which puts even more stress on the "endpoints" functionality, suggested in point 5. (or possibly the Hitlist)..

Plus, there are some new thoughts that sprung up since you were last around...

.. this was an excerpt from my original reply, that I started to compose several hours earlier, and the commentary grew and grew..

.. and grew...

after a while.. I stepped back and said to meself... am I bonkers? This is insanity.

Instead, I would suggest ... a chat on the discord. It would be waaay easier, I feel. More comprehensible 4 both sides and overall

more profitable for the end product, the mod.

I'm both at the main discord chatroom, or at Rusty's... I look forward to our chat.. your mod is for me, a singleplayer guy,

the most useful one. Thanks once more!

Jackson.

Yeyyy! Hello Geostar, welcome Bach!

I'm so glad that you came back after .. what was it.. 3 months?

I even tried find you through every player that I know of.. no banana.

Heh, I've never been on MP, so I'd have been very surprised if you'd been able to track me down. I wasn't gone, per se, just not paying attention because I had expected to be subscribed to this thread automatically . . . clearly that's not the way this particular forum is set up; otherwise, I would have seen your response much sooner.

Instead, I would suggest ... a chat on the discord. It would be waaay easier, I feel. More comprehensible 4 both sides and overall

more profitable for the end product, the mod.

I'm both at the main discord chatroom, or at Rusty's... I look forward to our chat.. your mod is for me, a singleplayer guy,

the most useful one. Thanks once more!

Sounds good.

Version 0.22 is up, with the main new feature being filters (found at the top of the Routes page) that allow selective hiding of routes based on various criteria. Note that the filters are checkboxes, and need to be clicked so that the checkbox is filled in for the filter to work. Also, for the Max Jumps, Max Cargo, and Max Credits filters (which allow a value to be entered), the associated checkbox must be toggled off and on for the filter to update.

One major known issue right now is that the filter state (including the values) reset after every jump; I know this makes the filter feature substantially less convenient than it otherwise would be, but know that I'm working on it.

• 2 months later...

This seems quite broken with the latest patch, is this still being worked on? I tried to merge the changes this mod makes with the current game, but I did not end up with a working result. I think I'd need to see the file as it was when the mod was created so I know exactly what it changed, as some parts seem to be added code and some parts are modified code.

• 4 months later...

Definitely, check the first post. Near the bottom, there's a thumbnail of a screenshot, and then two tiny and easy-to-miss download links as attachments to the first post. All mod posts on this forum are structured that way. ;)

I've got this mod installed and can confirm it works with the current patch.

• 1 month later...

It's a great mod but in 16.2 beta missing "You have" position in Sell tab.

I noticed this too so I manually added in the code for it into my version of this mod and it worked but instead of the original location of the "you" column, it is now positioned as the first column and very squished lol.

It works though, just looks a bit ungainly. I can upload the file when I get home from work if you/people want.

Edit: Attached below. It does work, but keep in mind that it doesn't look like it should, it's a bit turned around.

Side note: Just change the file extension to .lua since you can't upload lua files to the boards for some reason.

tradingoverview.txt

• 1 month later...

It's a great mod but in 16.2 beta missing "You have" position in Sell tab.

I noticed this too so I manually added in the code for it into my version of this mod and it worked but instead of the original location of the "you" column, it is now positioned as the first column and very squished lol.

It works though, just looks a bit ungainly. I can upload the file when I get home from work if you/people want.

Edit: Attached below. It does work, but keep in mind that it doesn't look like it should, it's a bit turned around.

Side note: Just change the file extension to .lua since you can't upload lua files to the boards for some reason.

Fixed the YOU section!  ;D Here you go

tradingoverview.txt

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Greetings everyone!

I've finally gotten around to doing a bit of updating on this mod (as I just got back into playing Avorion quite recently). The main new things are benefits for permanent installation (that's the way you get access to filters now), and power consumption based on the rarity and sector history (you do currently get a discount on power consumption when the module is permanently installed). Under the hood, the window construction function has been unified between the route, buy, and sell tabs, so that should take care of inconsistencies like the missing "you have" field.

I also moved all of the code out of the original file, except for the bare minimum that's needed to call the new file; the installation instructions have been updated accordingly. The new procedure is probably different than how most other mods get installed, but it should make the mod less likely to break when game files are updated (of course you'll need to reinstall the mod if the tradingoverview.lua file gets rewritten).

One more thing: the module is currently marked as unique to prevent multiple copies of the interface from being generated. I've spent a considerable amount of time trying to reliably detect when multiple copies of the module were installed but have not had any success so far. If anyone knows how to do this properly, please let me know and I'll incorporate it into a future version.

There are a couple of minor UI issues related to filtering that I have not figured out a good way to fix yet, but they're entirely cosmetic and shouldn't affect the core functionality of the mod. As always, let me know what issues/bugs you run into. I've left the download v0.22 up for the moment since some players seem to still be successfully using it; once it's confirmed that v0.3x is working, I'll take v0.22 down.

Happy trading!