[REQ] Sector Callback Example

GhoStalker

Calling all experienced modders. I have been trying to figure out how to hook Sector onPlayerEntered. I am looking to have it executed on the server.

I have been playing with it, but I haven't had any luck. I am new to LUA and have some cool mod ideas. I am mainly confused on where should I be defining the hook. I tried to place it in server.lua and several other spots.

Not looking for a 100% example, but some tips on where I should be putting the code and maybe file structure.

Thanks in advanced for any input.

Not looking for a 100% example, but some tips on where I should be putting the code and maybe file structure.

Too bad: I recommend you to look into my mods for some examples  :P

Edit: For an example on how to use callbacks, I recommend looking at the server.lua and player/asteroidMover.lua in the moveAsteroids mod[mOS], since their code base is very small and might be providing what you need.

but now for some real talk:

You should only attach Callbacks to loaded objects. Of the 1,000,000 Sectors ingame only those where Players are in are loaded.

Try using: "onSectorEntered"-Callback from player or Entities.

I recommend using the player one. Because if you get an callback to an unloaded Entity the game freezes.

Player(playerIndex):registerCallback("onSectorEntered", "methodnameWithoutBrackets")

your receiver method gets 3 Parameters:

methodnameWithoutBrackets(playerIndex, x, y) 

playerIndex: selfexplaining

x: the x Coordinate of the sectory the Player(playerIndex) just entered

y: the y Coordinate of the sectory the Player(playerIndex) just entered

Don't forget to unregister your Hooks as soon as a Player logs off.

Player(playerIndex):unregisterCallback("onSectorEntered", "methodnameWithoutBrackets")

Using the

Server():registerCallback("onPlayerLogOff", "onPlayerLogOffMethod")

If you need to watch every Sector entered:

You should add your script to the player in the "onPlayerLogIn"-Method in server.lua.

Your file, since it runs on a player, should go into /scripts/player/. But that is not mandatory.

If this all didn't help you much. I suggest you tell us about your

cool mod ideas.

So we can help you with your specific problems.