I got into the centre region without unlocking it.

Pob

I've already sent in a bug report, here's what I think has happened.

A normally spawning rift intersected the circle rift protecting in centre area and at the intersection a normal jump gate was spawned crossing the normal rift at the intersecting point which meant it also crossed the circle rift.

Pretty random and will be hard to have the same situation to reproduce it.

A change to the rift generation so that no rift crosses the ring rift should stop this from occurring.

Well, my latest seed made on latest beta, I have NO alien circle of Asteroids to put my Artifacts in.  Doesn't exist. And I went around the entire core rift wall checking.

No mad scientists at all either and multiple hidden mass sectors with nothing and I mean Tab only brings up me nothing. What feels like about half the ones I checked

Also About 10 different fractions have warp gates bypassing the rift.

I might play again after a new patch comes out.

I can confirm that in beta are still gates leading to the core. I had some SP games and different servers. Maybe i have luck but i always find a gate leading to the center very easy. Easy way to find them is too look out for green blips on both side of the core rift that are close to each other. Mostly you find a gate through the rift this way very fast. But this has nothing to do with the normal rifts i think. Its just how the factions are generated. Probably it need a code to prevent generating gates through the rift.