Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

New Build Tools

oreganor

Suggestion

Building mode productivity could be improved with the addition of a few tools and tweaking current ones. All the small steps are coordinated to provide a final result, but each suggestion can operate also by itself:

Selection Color should be different than current block under the cursor

ATM "white outline" is used as either to mark a block as part of the current selection or to highlight the block "under the cursor". Would be much better to have a distinct outline color for each to clarify when a selection is been disabled by selecting a single block WITHOUT the multiple block selection tool active.

Select ALL blocks of this type

With this tool selected, each click on a block would select ALL blocks of the same type and material on the current ship. Further clicks should behave based on if the clicked block already belongs to the current selection: if it does then this type of block is removed from the current selection, if it does not, all blocks of the same type & material will be added.

Modifier Key to apply a tool effect to the currently selected blocks instead of the one under the cursor

A good candidate could be CTRL but the key in particular is not as important as its functionality. While this key is pressed, any tool that changes/edit a block under the cursor, will apply its effect into all blocks currently selected. Obvious current candidates are "paint tool" and "replace block".

Create Group & Group list

2 Controls, in fact. A button to "store" the currently selected blocks as a "group". And a corresponding window with a list of all "groups" currently created for this ship. Each "delete block" operation should ALSO check EACH group definition to remove the block from it also, meanwhile, a delete operation on the group list will just remove the group definition, not any real blocks (Delete group should be a button on the Group list... Delete key should keep been reserved as currently, to delete the currently selected blocks). Clicks on the Group list will replace the currently selected blocks by the ones selected on the stored group. This is basically a Layer System on a block building game like Avorion.

Group List: Hide/Unhide group "checkbox"

Next to each group in the Group List there should be a checkbox to control if the group is displayed on the game or become hidden and unselectable by further editions until made visible again.

Toggle Last Group visibility key

A shortcut key should exist to toggle the visibility of the last group used by the player, instead of him having to go the list each time to toggle it. Alternatively a second checkbox could be added to each group in the group list to mark which ones will be toggled by each shortcut key press.

6 answers to this suggestion

Resurrecting - (to save me posting duplicate)

I would like to re-suggest being able to toggle the visibility of selected blocks and block-types. And the turn off the snapping of selected blocks

I often build the shell of the ship before adding the innards, especially for more complicated ships. And it gets messy when I have to manoeuvre the camera inside the ship

I would like to re-suggest being able to toggle the visibility of selected blocks and block-types. And the turn off the snapping of selected blocks

The turning-off-snapping would be great to overlap blocks better~ :)

A button to change root blocks or at least view of what block is the root one. It's very frustrating to be working on a ship with over 20k blocks and  attempting to delete a large selection only to be stopped by "you cannot delete the root block of your ship".

Ah ???

I guess it's a good idea, as a lot of people would not turn off the "Safe Mode", but the safe mode seems only useful when there is actually a danger of deleting the ship by selecting the root block. Unless the safe mode disabling and root block deletion causes bugs at high block counts ? It can be disabled at anytime to remove the "you cannot delete the root block of your ship" error.

A suggestion I was gonna make a week ago then immediately forgot what I was going to do.

"Hide specific blocks" list. Instead of showing ONE type or ONE material, have a check box next to each one to show multiple block types. For example, editing the innards of a ship and fiddling with armor, generators and energy containers, seeing one at a time and not being able to tell why the block I want to place won't work because there are three different kinds of blocks in the way is bothersome.