Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

[MOD][mOS] move Asteroids

Laserzwei

This mod allows you to move asteroids between Sectors.

AqfjDZI.png

1) Be closer than 15km

2) Click the menu-option  "move Asteroid"

3) Select your target sector

4) Pay the fee of 500.000Cr and watch it getting transferred

Installation

Copy the content of "mos_X.X.X.zip" into your Avorion's matching folders (you might need to create the mods folder).

This mod has a Wiki. With more detailed install instructions and a How-To.

Asteroids that were claimed before the mod got installed do not offer the "move asteroid" option and therefore can't be jumped.

From Avorion 0.23 on, this mod will be continued in the workshop (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1691539727)

Since 0.23+ became the main gameversion, there is no download here.

Licensed under:

QPL-1.0

Version history

-- 0.20.1 [2019-01-22]

- Default max transfer range now 50 sectors

- Now uses "onSelectMapCoordinates" event, instead of busy waiting

- Now remembering your selected sector

-- 0.19.0 [2018-11-08]

- dropped complicated and dated way of deleting and recreating asteroids and the as tedious way of detecting sector changes. As a result the code is much smaller and uses less hooks (no modification of server.lua required anymore!)

- Instead uses Galaxy():transferEntity(type 1)

- The target sector can be individually selected and jumping out of a system does not inherently transfer asteroids with you.

- This lifts the previously implied jump-range limit. To prevent unlimited transfer range there is now a config option (MAXTRANSFERRANGE)

-- 0.20.0 [2018-12-04]

- Now uses "callable"

- Now with namespace™

--0.97b for 0.17.1

- EntityDescripters are only used as deep-copy, to prevent unwanted invalidation. Can now jump multiple asteroids at a time again

--0.96 for 0.17.0

- systemTimeMs() -> appTimeMs() // WTF Koonschi!

- removed obsolete (0.14) compatibility scripts

- New 0.17 Server.lua

- prints are now Logs

--0.95b for 0.15.x and 0.16.1-0.16.6

- properly added the config, thanks Dirtyredz

--0.95 for 0.15

[Changes]

- moved to /mods/

- added config

[Changes]

- removed unneccessary Event-unregister, which could cause crashes.

[Changes]

- Asteroids can now be transferred to the Alliance (this takes no faction permissions)

- For every other action with Alliance-Asteroids you need the following permissions:  "Manage Stations", "Found Stations", "Modify Crafts", "Spend Resources"

- If owned by the Alliance, the Alliance will pay the transportation fee

- You can take Alliance Asteroids back

[Changes]

- updated for v0.12.7 r 8782

- release

Filestructure

Overrides

data/scripts/entity/claim.lua

added

data/scripts/entity/moveAsteroid.lua

• 2 weeks later...

Given how far away the asteroids can spawn when you bring them to a new sector, could you increase the range you can select "Move asteroid" at? I'm currently assembling a hundred or two asteroids in a sector near the edge of the galaxy to eventually move them all further in towards the core, and I'm dreading having to approach every single one on every jump.

Also, potentially, can you make an option to keep an asteroid in hyperspace while you jump to different sectors, and then use a command or option to either spawn them in your current sector or spawn them in the next one you jump to?

Really enjoying the mod so far, as well as OOSP.

Given how far away the asteroids can spawn when you bring them to a new sector, could you increase the range you can select "Move asteroid" at? I'm currently assembling a hundred or two asteroids in a sector near the edge of the galaxy to eventually move them all further in towards the core, and I'm dreading having to approach every single one on every jump.

It was a gameplay decision from the very beginning to keep the menu-range at 10km. If you want to move this many asteroids through the Galaxy you bring patience and a really long Jump range.

Also, potentially, can you make an option to keep an asteroid in hyperspace while you jump to different sectors, and then use a command or option to either spawn them in your current sector or spawn them in the next one you jump to?

It breaks the 500,000Cr per Jump rule. So it won't happen.

Thank you very much.

I don't get the move option on asteroids I had claimed before installing the mod. Given how many asteroids are out there, it's not a huge deal, but I was wondering if that was a known limitation or not.

It is a known limitation. I hab wrapped my head around it and there are 2 solutions:

1) Check every Sector a player enters, if it has claimable Asteroids and add the moveAsteroids script on those that need it. This takes up server resources and is totally useless when [mOS] has been installed from the very start.

2) Add a player command to add the script on stated Asteroids. A little more tedious for players, but the server doesn't get a constant load.

I haven't decided which solution I will take yet. 1) has the advantage that I could make the hook into claim.lua(Vannilla gamefile) obsolete. This opens the option to add this mod into an modloader.

Since it is an edge case scenario, it has a low priority atm.

It was a gameplay decision from the very beginning to keep the menu-range at 10km. If you want to move this many asteroids through the Galaxy you bring patience and a really long Jump range.

It breaks the 500,000Cr per Jump rule. So it won't happen.

Okay, if it's from a gameplay balance perspective, how about this? Add a "sector broadcast" option to move every asteroid in your sector, but charge like, 25% or 50% more in the movement cost on each asteroid. That way you're still paying a cost for convenience, not just getting something for nothing.

Thank you very much.

You're quite welcome.

Out of curiosity, would I be able to jump that many asteroids through a wormhole?

Okay, if it's from a gameplay balance perspective, how about this? Add a "sector broadcast" option to move every asteroid in your sector, but charge like, 25% or 50% more in the movement cost on each asteroid. That way you're still paying a cost for convenience, not just getting something for nothing.

The 2nd gameplay decision involved with moving lots of Asteroids: Multiplayer. Simply put I want to prevent a single player to grab all easily accessable Asteroids and leave nothing but a wasteland for others.

Out of curiosity, would I be able to jump that many asteroids through a wormhole?

I have never tested it, but it should work.

It is a known limitation. I hab wrapped my head around it and there are 2 solutions:

1) Check every Sector a player enters, if it has claimable Asteroids and add the moveAsteroids script on those that need it. This takes up server resources and is totally useless when [mOS] has been installed from the very start.

2) Add a player command to add the script on stated Asteroids. A little more tedious for players, but the server doesn't get a constant load.

I haven't decided which solution I will take yet. 1) has the advantage that I could make the hook into claim.lua(Vannilla gamefile) obsolete. This opens the option to add this mod into an modloader.

Since it is an edge case scenario, it has a low priority atm.

I had suspected something along those lines, and agree that it's not a priority to get sorted. Maybe in the meantime you could add that caveat to the mod description, just so that people adding the mod in the middle of a game know what to expect? In any case, this is an awesome mod!

I had suspected something along those lines, and agree that it's not a priority to get sorted. Maybe in the meantime you could add that caveat to the mod description, just so that people adding the mod in the middle of a game know what to expect? In any case, this is an awesome mod!

I did. Thank you for your comment  ;)

• 3 weeks later...

uhhhm

could one just run the asteroidSpawningLib.lua mannually to spawn a claimable asteroid ?

and before you ask i wanna experiment with mines stations and production chains

see what the game is able to do/handle and what is not there jet.

best wishes

yeet

could one just run the asteroidSpawningLib.lua mannually to spawn a claimable asteroid ?

You would either have to use the cheatmenu or a little bit of programming to add a command that handles this.

and before you ask i wanna experiment with mines stations and production chains

see what the game is able to do/handle and what is not there jet.

You graphics power is the limiting factor. And some missing links (Coal, Raw Oil, Diamonds) in the production chain. Look in my signature to find a mod that adds those.

hey there

thanks for the quick reply

You would either have to use the cheatmenu or a little bit of programming to add a command that handles this.

found another way  8)

You graphics power is the limiting factor. And some missing links (Coal, Raw Oil, Diamonds) in the production chain. Look in my signature to find a mod that adds those.

thanks for the advice but i already have your mod .... and a cuple of others

constantly sniffing through the forums pays off

when you like modding (tweak the game to your personal taste)  ;D

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, we would like to use your script but I think I am to stupid to install it correctly.

I've copyed the data folder and restartet the server.

Jumped about 200 sectors away from my position in to unknow territory.

Claimed a new asteroid but didn't get the "move asteroid" option :(

What am I doing wrong?

Edit: Do I have to install it on client and server? Since I've installed it on both, it works for me :)

Hey, we would like to use your script but I think I am to stupid to install it correctly.

I've copyed the data folder and restartet the server.

Jumped about 200 sectors away from my position in to unknow territory.

Claimed a new asteroid but didn't get the "move asteroid" option :(

What am I doing wrong?

Edit: Do I have to install it on client and server? Since I've installed it on both, it works for me :)

1) You need this mod to be installed on Server and Client.

2) You need to "contact" the Asteroid after every Jump

This probably isn't helpful... but I've moved asteroids two ways.

1) Build a ridiculously massive ship.  Like 'Try to scale up further and the UI gives a "THAT ISN'T GOING TO WORK" error'. (Yes, it really does that!).  Now, take that ridiculously massive ship and push the asteroid.  Or station. Or gate.  Pretty much whatever you want, really. 

2) Build a mine on the station and be an admin, then use /teleport. :)

Honestly, I don't see why stations and ships should be functionally different - you should be able to put a ridiculously massive and expensive bunch of thrusters on and turn, a big engine on and move forward, or a honkin' big hyperdrive unit and jump sectors.  It's just more mass, you know?

In game terms, the functional difference between stations and ships is that stations produce goods rather than haul them, but that boundary can be fuzzy if you think about it.

This probably isn't helpful... but I've moved asteroids two ways.

1) Build a ridiculously massive ship.  Like 'Try to scale up further and the UI gives a "THAT ISN'T GOING TO WORK" error'. (Yes, it really does that!).  Now, take that ridiculously massive ship and push the asteroid.  Or station. Or gate.  Pretty much whatever you want, really. 

2) Build a mine on the station and be an admin, then use /teleport. :)

Honestly, I don't see why stations and ships should be functionally different - you should be able to put a ridiculously massive and expensive bunch of thrusters on and turn, a big engine on and move forward, or a honkin' big hyperdrive unit and jump sectors.  It's just more mass, you know?

In game terms, the functional difference between stations and ships is that stations produce goods rather than haul them, but that boundary can be fuzzy if you think about it.

What is your point here?

What is your point here?

What's yours?

There's a bunch of stuff in my post if you're paying attention: a rambling story about how to move big asteroids within a sector with an unmodded game, how to move big asteroids between sectors with an unmodded game (but with admin access), and an opinion that stations shouldn't be denied use of movement blocks.

These things may not be relevant to the development of this particular mod, but they are points related to and raised by it.

how to move big asteroids within a sector with an unmodded game

This mod doesn't provide a way of moving asteroids within a sector. This is due to the fact that, and you already mentioned it, you can move them with force turrets.

how to move big asteroids between sectors with an unmodded game (but with admin access)

1)When this mod was released, the /teleport command wasn't even included in vanilla.

2)Not every player has access to /teleport- I'm pointing at most dedicated servers.

3)First making a Mine and then having to type the coordinates for the /teleport command seems very inconvenient.

and an opinion that stations shouldn't be denied use of movement blocks

Nothing modders can do atm. Ask Koonshi about that.

These things may not be relevant to the development of this particular mod...

Then why did you post them here?

What is your point here?

What's yours?

Somehow all the things you pointed out missed the point of mod's thread or -even worse- don't belong in the modding section of the forum at all.

• 3 months later...

updated to 0.92

[Changes]

- Asteroids can now be transferred to the Alliance (this takes no faction permissions)

- For every other action with Alliance-Asteroids you need the following permissions:  "Manage Stations", "Found Stations", "Modify Crafts", "Spend Resources"

- If owned by the Alliance, the Alliance will pay the transportation fee

- You can take Alliance Asteroids back

For whatever reason, I have this mod installed, and it works fine- claim an asteroid, fly close to it, spend the half a mil to move it....

Then I jump the ~8 sectors to my base, and the asteroid isn't there. I move back into the system I claimed the asteroid in, and it's still there, unperturbed, and I'm half a mil poorer than before.

I tried this THREE times so far. It's not working. Could I get some help, please?

For whatever reason, I have this mod installed, and it works fine- claim an asteroid, fly close to it, spend the half a mil to move it....

Then I jump the ~8 sectors to my base, and the asteroid isn't there. I move back into the system I claimed the asteroid in, and it's still there, unperturbed, and I'm half a mil poorer than before.

I tried this THREE times so far. It's not working. Could I get some help, please?

Like Daemon said it needs to be both on the server and client.

The moved asteroid won't show up like a normal claimed asteroid, it spawns randomly in the sector so you have to search for it.

What you can do is press F9, scroll out and drag a box on your screen and then it will highlight it.

If you are sure you followed predecessors and the bug still exists, send me your client and server log files.

• 2 weeks later...