Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

[MOD](v0.6a) FindStation - search stations in all sectors *now with UI*

w00zla

Would this work installed only on my client?  The server owner is anti-modding.

since the galaxy/sector files are saved on the server, the server-side scripts need all to be installed, sry about that!

...added super fast sector checking routine, now searches finish in few seconds and only have little performance cost...

Could you elaborate on "only have little performance cost"? Will this mod definitely have at least a minor impact on performance? Is it easily noticeable? Or only barely noticeable?

Also: Would the performance hit be even more noticeable on a server that regularly has 10 to 24 players at any given time?

This was at least considered on the multiplayer server where I play. However, even after upgrading the server, there are lag issues. And the concern is that - because this is server-side - this mod might make existing lag/performance issues worse. (The thinking is that there is not enough "headroom", performance wise, for something like this.)

well, the mod/scripts takes performance only while searching, and the impact is not noticeable on my machine anymore due to the new checking routine. BUT if you've got a busy server thats already running out of spare performance, I would not recommend installing this mod without adjusting the performance settings (see "HOW TO: Performance tweaking" and "HOW TO: Advanced server configuration" sections in OP!). If you set concurrent searches and loaded sectors per frame to 1, I think this runs smoothly even on busy servers without affecting performance noticeably. But you would have to try, as there is defenitely some performance cost due to the scripts reading lots of sector files each search!

Hmmm... I have aproblem:

When i open chat and give the command "/findstationconfig galaxy Utopia" i become the errormessage: Unknown command findstationui.

Utopia is the name of my galaxy. Or must i type the command in a other console than chat?

Hmm, thats really strange, especially because the error seems to reference the "findstationui" command, while you were using the "findstationconfig" one?! Could you please send me your client- and server logs? They are stored in folder "%APPDATA%\Roaming\Avorion".

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good news everyone :D

updated the OP and released version 0.6-alpha of the mod!

Changes:

• introduced search modes and related config (by default, the mod now searches only in sectors discovered by the player :D see "HOW TO - Search modes" section in op)
  • mod now tries to auto-detect its configuration for a galaxy (this may fail so you would have to configure manually with /findstationconfig)
  • mod now hosted on GitHub, so unregistered users can download it too, and because of source control, and because why not ;)

Please give feedback if auto-detect of config does not work for you (on windows, PowerShell and WMI need to be available)!

• 2 weeks later...

Found a bug, when I've enabled the UI, then put in a trading system module. I can't open the trading system module UI. Disabling the UI also removes the trading system UI button. It can be fixed by disabling the UI, removing the trade-module, re-adding the trade module, and then re-enabling the UI (moving the button back to the far left of the list).

Hope that helps you squash the bug.

-KineticNerd

Found a bug, when I've enabled the UI, then put in a trading system module. I can't open the trading system module UI. Disabling the UI also removes the trading system UI button. It can be fixed by disabling the UI, removing the trade-module, re-adding the trade module, and then re-enabling the UI (moving the button back to the far left of the list).

Hope that helps you squash the bug.

-KineticNerd

thanks for your feedback, but unfortunatelly, i cannot reproduce your issue! since i got some questions:

what Avorion version are you using (mine is beta 0.11. r7857 atm)?

have you other mods installed?

can you reproduce the problem and send me maybe correspondig client-log file (its located in %APPDATA%\Roaming\Avorion\)?

and maybe its also relevant which rarity the trading upgrade is (mine was exotic)?

since the galaxy/sector files are saved on the server, the server-side scripts need all to be installed, sry about that!

My question is does everyone have to have it installed on there client if there not going to use it and I have it installed on the server?  I have a friend that can never install mods correctly with out a loader, so can he connect to my server where this mod is installed but he has none of it on his client?

My question is does everyone have to have it installed on there client if there not going to use it and I have it installed on the server?  I have a friend that can never install mods correctly with out a loader, so can he connect to my server where this mod is installed but he has none of it on his client?

a player is not required to have any scripts installed at all. and even without client-install, everybody can use the /findstation chat command! only the search UI and therefore /findstationui require client files to be installed!

a player is not required to have any scripts installed at all. and even without client-install, everybody can use the /findstation chat command! only the search UI and therefore /findstationui require client files to be installed!

Thants the answer I wanted to hear thank you very much.

• 3 weeks later...

Heeellloo W99zla, I like this mod, very useful when one is collecting stuff for having a custom weapon build!

Three small questions though,

1) At this moment, the mod does not take into account the factories/stations/mines masquerading themselves as Resistor Outpost or Smudgeller Hideout or something... Is a fix to this on the planning board?

2) Would it be possible to have the search a bit more in detail? For instance, if it's a Nobbly Metal Main, or Steal Factory, could it somehow indicate the specific version? As in NMM <Gold, Silver> or SF <Scrap/Ore> ...? That could be very useful when allocating supplies to factories..

and finally 3) When looking for say research stations or rare stations, such as a HPT factory or something, this point is not much relevant, but when looking for, as an example, Equipment Docs, it could be damn useful to have in the search somehow shown the stations in recently visited sectors, so that one would not run around in circles, revisiting the places he's already been in 2 jumps back.

But even without these small points, this mod is brilliant, thanks once more for investing your time to see it done. Thank you!

Heeellloo W99zla, I like this mod, very useful when one is collecting stuff for having a custom weapon build!

Three small questions though,

1) At this moment, the mod does not take into account the factories/stations/mines masquerading themselves as Resistor Outpost or Smudgeller Hideout or something... Is a fix to this on the planning board?

2) Would it be possible to have the search a bit more in detail? For instance, if it's a Nobbly Metal Main, or Steal Factory, could it somehow indicate the specific version? As in NMM <Gold, Silver> or SF <Scrap/Ore> ...? That could be very useful when allocating supplies to factories..

and finally 3) When looking for say research stations or rare stations, such as a HPT factory or something, this point is not much relevant, but when looking for, as an example, Equipment Docs, it could be damn useful to have in the search somehow shown the stations in recently visited sectors, so that one would not run around in circles, revisiting the places he's already been in 2 jumps back.

But even without these small points, this mod is brilliant, thanks once more for investing your time to see it done. Thank you!

Hello Mr. Twirpy ;)

happy to hear that you and others like my mod!

Concerning your questions/ideas:

1) the mod is only able to read the sector XML files at the moment, and this information is not available from them. therefore this cannot be integrated in the mod, since parsing the sector binary files is hard to do and would cost tooo much additional performance!

2) same thing again, the displayed info is all the valuable info available from the sector XML files, more data would require parsing the sector binary files

3) this is actually not a bad idea and i might integrate that into the next version(s)!

Will there be localization support? Many players on my server play with non-english localization, but this mod for now works properly only if player write keywords on English even using UI

unfortunatelly, a localized search is not possible at the moment (this is because the search itself is executed on the server, and you cannot localize text server-side)!

EDIT:

i had another thought on it, and localization can be implemented theoretically, but it would require LOADS of bandwidth (since >every< sectors complete station data has to be sent to the searching client). Will cost traffic on one side, but might actually even reduce performance cost on the server-side :) I will try to integrate this as a new optional setting, stay tuned for an update...

ich habe ein problem, habe spielstände auf d:spielstände, aber findstation sucht die sectoren auf c://benutzer appdata/administrator........

SCRIPT findstation [v0.6a] p#229 => START SEARCH -> searchterm: modulator | framesectorloads: 10 | maxresults: 30 | searchmode: player | galaxypath: C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming/Avorion/galaxies/avorion_galaxy2/

2017-05-07 13-14-18| SCRIPT findstation [v0.6a] => ERROR on parsing player known locations -> C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming/Avorion/galaxies/avorion_galaxy2/players/player_229.dat: No such file or directory

Spielstand:

2017-05-07 13-14-27| sector (33:-110) saved to "D:\Spielstände\Avorion\galaxies\avorion_galaxy2\sectors\33_-110"

ich habe ein problem, habe spielstände auf d:spielstände, aber findstation sucht die sectoren auf c://benutzer appdata/administrator........

SCRIPT findstation [v0.6a] p#229 => START SEARCH -> searchterm: modulator | framesectorloads: 10 | maxresults: 30 | searchmode: player | galaxypath: C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming/Avorion/galaxies/avorion_galaxy2/

2017-05-07 13-14-18| SCRIPT findstation [v0.6a] => ERROR on parsing player known locations -> C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming/Avorion/galaxies/avorion_galaxy2/players/player_229.dat: No such file or directory

Spielstand:

2017-05-07 13-14-27| sector (33:-110) saved to "D:\Spielstände\Avorion\galaxies\avorion_galaxy2\sectors\33_-110"

Please use "/findstationconfig galaxypath D:\Spielstände\Avorion\galaxies\avorion_galaxy2" chat command to set the correct path to your save-files!

• 4 weeks later...

This is a fantastic mod that I put on my dedicated server. Huge time saver for me.

One issue however, when my client players attempt to run either /findstation or /findstationui enable it states they don't have permission.

Otherwise it runs fine for me as a client, as I am admin. Is there a quick easy way to enable this permission for them? I have tried having them put all script files from your install package on their local PCs as well to no effect.

Thank you!

• 1 month later...

i think you need extensive testing with the latest updates, only used the new ingame highlighting lately, so i freshly installed it over the newest build (0.12.7 r8782, stable branch) and ran into some issues:

- config for galaxypath was no problem (not sure if still needed, tried anyways)

- "/findstationui enable" resulted in expected "Search UI enabled", but no button on HUD appeared (even after reboot), "/findstationui" resulted in the same line, but no HUD

- "/findstation <searchterm>" resulted in a search, but always gives 0 stations found (tried german and english searchterms, working with german localization, checked back with InGame Function)

Hopefully its not too broken  ;)

EDIT: Pretty similar problem with your fleetcontrol, textbox said all fine after initialitation, but no Button neither HUD were to get... seems like you know alrdy from its topic, thought i mention anyways...