Pob Heavy Industries

Pob

You could turn the latest into a destroyer or even a cruiser by duplicating the front for use as a rear section with a long narrowish beam connecting them. You could use that beam to add more shields along with generators to power the additional load or maybe add small hangars for a few salvaging fighters. For a destroyer you could choose one or the other of those enhancements while for a cruiser you could do both. If I were to add hangars I'd design pods for them to attach to the beam I talked about, trying to keep the style you've already established.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do you mean stack a 2nd starstrider behind the first, so it's got the engine pods at both ends?

The whole concept for these was a sort of ball, or short cylinder, with spikes/wings coming off on the left, right and bottom. the top has two engine pods at 45 degrees as I didn't want a big spike upwards to get in the way of the camera.

Generally make the overall ship wide not long, trying to break the stereotypical long ship design.

PS if anyone has used the starstrider 200 let me know if you have any issues with the 0.5 double mounts.

I've had some issues trying to put 2 turrets on them, 2 size 0.5 turrets do fit but sometimes you have to put the right turret on first before the left and sometimes it's the other way around.

I sort of fixed it but adding a slab spacer between them but now if I do a "repair all" in the build mode it removes all the turrets on those mounts.

Just wondering if it's my game or if others have had the same issue?

pps all the 1 size single mounts work fine.

Do you mean stack a 2nd starstrider behind the first, so it's got the engine pods at both ends?

The whole concept for these was a sort of ball, or short cylinder, with spikes/wings coming off on the left, right and bottom. the top has two engine pods at 45 degrees as I didn't want a big spike upwards to get in the way of the camera.

Generally make the overall ship wide not long, trying to break the stereotypical long ship design.

Yes, one some distance behind the other. I understand your goals for your use but someone else using it could make a hell of a destroyer or cruiser that way.

So, with the Starstrider, is part of your design goal to optimize your pitch, yaw & roll?

in part yes and to work with the current mechanics, not build something pretty than controls like a cow on an ice rink.

Granted the 200 is a bit drift prone it needs some additional inertia dampers, I've had a few minor collisions but I've yet to total the ship, I'm still not 100% happy with the nose design.

Overall my main design concept on these was to try to get away from the "boat in space" that so many of us seem to build, ie long and thin with all the guns stuck on the top.

Next thing I want to try and work on is a more asymmetrical ship.

Next thing I want to try and work on is a more asymmetrical ship.

This. I'm loving the idea of asymmetry right now!

Btw awesome designs!

I hope this doesn't dissapoint

New StarStrider Carrier Experimental

still needs some tweaking and a lick of paint, Ive also found a new issue with my design work, breaking 6m Volume, I try to build big but I just end up with the same sized ship, so this time I've also just scaled it up

The nose is symmetrical but the rest isn't, the main hanger is a single block inside, with fighter access from 9 smaller ports on the right side.

The engines are detailed with glow and hologram block, (an ideal I totally didn't rip off from Aavak ;) seriously go

, the engines are 24min in, mine are far more simplistic but I like the effect)

The non-scaled version has lovely handling, I used a far larger inertia damper on it makes a big difference also I worried less about getting good yaw/pitch/roll and more about total thrusters, so while it doesn't turn as fast it does strafe very well.

Handling on the scaled up version is not as good, also I'm not happy with the other stats, is there any point in 3,000 volume of fighters? after the math, 12 fighters per wing x 10 wings max x 14 max fighter size = max possible fighter volume 1,680

Or nearly 4,000 crew?

So while it's bigger it's not really better I think I need to rebuild it.

Costs are roughly

original $1.3mil, 21k iron, 44k trinium, 80k Xanion

scaled up $10.3mil, 173k iron, 354k trinium, 644k Xanion

Oh well please find attached 3 images

the original carrier, rear shot to show off the engines

the scaled up carrier side view

and a side by side shot, they are actually touching in this one.

what do people think should I bother to upload the scaled up version?

carrierX.jpg.779f095dcdba3c2527c9a7e49fed2e9c.jpg

carrierX2.jpg.2082e9963712e0f1e532f66fdb5e7d29.jpg

carrierXvsX2.jpg.987891cd27fdd23be9f1b97f86d0c632.jpg

Ok today I've been working on a destroyer.

It's a bit boring in the looks department, however the performance is excellent.

While the yaw/pitch/roll numbers are nothing amazing , it handles very well, I've been less fussy over thruster position and more focused on lots of thrusters.

The end result is a heck of a lot less slidey.

destroyer.jpg.3adb328cddd5e5e87cb316751c961165.jpg

The Nebular class cruiser is now up, she may not be the most pretty of my ships, but she handles very nicely (or at least I think so)

Some cargo space, reasonable jump range, decent fighter capacity, lots of crew space and over a 100GW of excess power generation (before modules) for all those energy weapons and modules. ;)

note: unlike my other recent designs, the engine pods on this mainly are engine not thrusters, this ship is less tuned for turning and more for breaking, strafing and generally not skidding about as much.

The Nebular looks pretty neat, reminds me of the Earth Destroyers with the rotating middle section from Babylon 5...

My fav together with the MFF-101 so far, and a nice example what a decent paintjob can do to a ship on the 2 screenys of it!  ;D

The Nebular looks pretty neat, reminds me of the Earth Destroyers with the rotating middle section from Babylon 5...

My fav together with the MFF-101 so far, and a nice example what a decent paintjob can do to a ship on the 2 screenys of it!  ;D

Thanks, the colour has helped bring it out however I still think it's lacking something.

interestingly I started from the front on the nebular, normally I do the front last, and I had the Taiidan destroyer from homeworld in my head, that 3 point wedge arangement.

Personally I still think the Broadhead is my best looking ship, it's just (as Ohm pointed out to me) that the internals are a right mess.

The asymmetrical carrier the StarStrider 300 is now up, I'm really happy with it apart from wanting it bigger and I'm not happy with the scaled up version.

sorry about the slightly shonky animated gif, I really need to use a capture program not just spam the f12 key and then stitch it together.  ::)

Personally i love the Starstrider 200. Would love to see it in a much bigger scale, like 9-15 slots version. The midsection stretched out to give room for fighters. I use the Carrier command mod, so i use a LOT of salvage fighters on my ship.

Thanks, it's still my current ship I'm flying in single player, it really is a good solid player ship, still a bit slidey though.

However the high rotational speed allows you to manually correct and if you get into a drift I find manually bringing yourself to a stop is the best way to correct it.

I've got a rather unique design kicking around in my head for the StarStrider 400, going for around 9-11 slots, you'll have to wait on that, give the Nebular a go in the meantime it's design isn't great but the handling is.

The StarStrider 200 is absolutely awesome!  I love it, everything about it.  I even like the turret hardpoints.  I absolutely hate putting the turrets directly on the hull, doing so makes the ship look cheap, in my opinion.  So you get +1 for turret hardpoints on that one.  The maneuverability looks legit as well.  Thing is, I can't tell if that was pre or post patch.  Grr, I hate how they merged the posts, makes it nearly impossible to tell when each ship was posted.  I don't even pay any attention at all to ships that were created before the patch and were never updated to reflect the changes in the patch.  My main focus when choosing to like a ship or not is functionality, first, THEN looks after.

Thing is, I can't tell if that was pre or post patch.  Grr, I hate how they merged the posts, makes it nearly impossible to tell when each ship was posted.  I don't even pay any attention at all to ships that were created before the patch and were never updated to reflect the changes in the patch.  My main focus when choosing to like a ship or not is functionality, first, THEN looks after.

unless there's been another patch then it's current beta branch build 0.11.7854

If you look at the my dropbox you'll see I added the build version to the end of each file name, so people can see which version it was designed in.

The changes and tweaks to the game is one of the things you have to consider with early access game, it's also a major issue with mods.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the first concept for the StarStrider 400 has not worked out :( and real life has got in the way of my ship construction efforts.

I've been flying my Nebular class cruiser in single player and personally I'm loving the handling so far.

If anyone is flying it around then I'd really love to get some feedback on it.

I've been flying my Nebular class cruiser in single player and personally I'm loving the handling so far.

If anyone is flying it around then I'd really love to get some feedback on it.

Following on from the comments in the useless builder thread.

I salvaged the crap out of a shipyard to get all the ore required for the Nebular and built it last night. I have to say it's incredible for such a large ship. This thing turns on a half-crown, accelerates astonishingly and slows down pretty damn well too. Pitch, Roll and Yaw are all decent too.

The handling is truly first class, although I have had to install the extended range trading mod, as I'm having real trouble not pushing the stations away from me :D

Had to modify it slightly though, it needed a small avorion hyperspace core adding, plus some avorion rich stone plates on the outside so I could mount up my crafted turrets. The thing is a total beast.

Would rate this ship as 6.5 / 5

Thanks Haystacks, glad to hear you like it :)

No avorion as I don't tend to build inner core ships, I'm still trying to find the last bits for the smuggler quest, once I finally get in there I'll probably make one.

My tip for docking any large ship, esp a long thin ship like this one, is sideways.

don't try to go in nose first, you can ether approach then rotate and strafe in or come in at 90 degrees from the port don't aim at the station but to skim it and remember to slow down. ;)

Thanks Haystacks, glad to hear you like it :)

No avorion as I don't tend to build inner core ships, I'm still trying to find the last bits for the smuggler quest, once I finally get in there I'll probably make one.

My tip for docking any large ship, esp a long thin ship like this one, is sideways.

don't try to go in nose first, you can ether approach then rotate and strafe in or come in at 90 degrees from the port don't aim at the station but to skim it and remember to slow down. ;)

The only reason I had avorion to use was because I found a wormhole across the barrier. After doing some reading around about the questline, I decided I was missing out on a lot, so I've deleted that galaxy and started over, even if I find a wormhole in this time, I'm not going to use it, I'd rather do it the way the developer intended.

So far, I've managed to work my way up to a MFF-202 (Another superb little ship) and am trying to track down trinium for the Megabee. I can then trade the crap out of things and make some decent money.