Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

Pob Heavy Industries

Pob

These are some of the ships I've made so far, I think the biggest issue I have with ships is coming up with names for them  :-[

Note: All ships loaded with minimum crews

update: here's a link to all the xml's

All ships have the version number at the end of the file name

MFF-101

The Multi-Function Frigate, designed as both a general combat ship and with space to add on cargo containers to turn it into a hauler, armour blocks only on the front facing blocks to reduce weight.

Naonite core systems with Titanium thrusters and hull skin, with 4 Naonite weapon points on the nose.

Cost $142,960

Iron 5

Titanium 7,356

Naonite 10,254

mff-101_i_zpsuwseeq9c.jpg

mff-101_f_zpslsqmhby7.jpg

mff-101_b_zpsbhv3oxs3.jpg

MFF-201

The 2nd generation Multi-Function Frigate, with increased manoeuvrability and shielding over the original model. 

Naonite core systems with Titanium engines, thrusters and hull skin, with Naonite weapon points on the nose.

Cost $211,975

Iron 4,800

Titanium 5,511

Naonite 16,309

MFF-201_f_zps6d2myhkx.jpg

MFF-201_b_zpsnhhljfko.jpg

MFF-201_i_zpst2nm5vm8.jpg

MFF-202

A combat variant of the 2nd generation Multi-Function Frigate, fully clad in armour, with additional hard points under the nose and the addition of a hyperspace core to increase functionality.

Although the added weight does reduce the manoeuvrability.

Still uses Naonite core systems and hard points on the nose, with Titanium engines, thrusters and Armoured skin

Cost $237,465

Iron 4,800

Titanium 5,969

Naonite 19,687

MFF-202_f_zpste0v6fvj.jpg

MFF-202_b_zpsqteo3fha.jpg

MFF-202_i_zpszpxftbps.jpg

Bee-102

I originally designed the Bee as a mining ship, with a small Trinium nose allowing 4-8 weapons to be mounted, although I've found it a decent combat ship in it's own right.

Trinium core systems, with a Naonite hull and a few Titanium details.

Cost$ 111,109

Iron 1,200

Titanium 494

Naonite 3,254

Trinium 7,275

bee-102_i_zpsvfhnokm5.jpg

bee-102_f_zpss2l11lps.jpg

bee-102_b_zpsxdncrpbu.jpg

Bee-201 - aka the MegaBee

After active testing of the Mule we discovered that while it looked nice, it is not that functional, the Bee however is very functional, so to make a better cargo freighter?

Make a bigger Bee, stick a cargo hold in the middle and we have the new MegaBee.

[spoiler=animated gif]megabee_zps3ugsmkxc.gif

With Xanion internals and Trinium outer hull the Bee-201 is not just a functional cargo hauler but also a fine general purpose ship, good for exploring, salvaging, mining and light combat duties.

Cost$ 630,472

Iron 7,200

Naonite 1,916

Trinium 34,643

Xanion 32,600

Bee-301 aka the GigaBee

details to be confirmed, however the xml of the experimental version is available for user testing.

Maul 

A combat Heavy Frigate, Xanion core systems and Trinium thrusters and armour

Cost $ 356,745

Iron 1,200

Naonite 1,260

Trinium 14,497

Xanion 11,840

maul_i_zpsr4nqe85r.jpg

maul_f_zpsibycq3oj.jpg

maul_b_zpszb41nkgw.jpg

Broadhead

Combat destroyer, a mix of Xanion and Trinium core systems covered by Xanion hull and Trinium armour details.

Cost $1,590,348

Iron 10,080

Titanium 2,174

Naonite 11,986

Trinium 35,067

Xanion 75,931

broadhead_i_zps8vzt36sz.jpg

broadhead_f_zpso2xdvmxr.jpg

broadhead_b_zpsuxtasztg.jpg

Gnat-102

Need something small? On a budget? Don't have all those fancy materials?  Don't worry we here at Pob Heavy Industries have you covered.

Introducing the all new Gnat, it comes with full integrity fields, 4 Titanium points for weapon mounting and pre-painted in colours any starting out captain has access to, all for less than 1,500 Iron and 2,000 Titanium.

Cost $15,228

Iron 1,456

Titanium 1,976

[spoiler=animated gif]Gnat_zpsdknity41.gif

Gnat-103

For those for who the Gnat is just a little too weak and have that little extra to spend we present the Gnat-103

Fully upgraded to Titanium, with armour plating on the nose and thruster pods to greatly increase the durability and combat potential.

We've tweaked the engine and thrusters to get more out of it and it's still in colours any starting captain can enjoy.

Cost $19,799

Iron 780

Titanium 3,534

[spoiler=images]

Gnat-103_f_zps22tuhnha.jpg

Gnat-103_b_zpsr7ydttzd.jpg

Gnat-103_s_zpsdyzjnq4p.jpg

StarStrider Series, The latest generation of combat enforcers from Pob Heavy Industries, designed around manoeuvrability with weapon hard points to give both 360 degree fire arc and maximise forward firepower.

StarStrider 100

A smaller craft built for patrol, short distance exploration or with the correct load out a competent miner/salvager.

Naonite internals with a Trinium skin and 6 designated size 1 hard points spaced for 360 fire patterns.

Cost $28,084

Iron 900

Titanium 324

Naonite  15,204

Trinium 8,890

[spoiler=images]

StarStrider100_f_zpsq71xqr0y.jpg

StarStrider100_b_zpsyuocq3gg.jpg

StarStrider100_s_zpsfciyy1fj.jpg

StarStrider 200

The bigger sister of the 100, built for patrol, defence, exploration and the addition of a small cargo hold for the transport of low volume high importance goods.

Naonite internals with a Trinium skin and 6 designated size 1 hard points spaced for 360 fire patterns, 3 designated size 1 hard points frontal fire cone and 6 double size 0.5 hard points in frontal fire cones.

Cost $1,620,338

Iron 9,600

Titanium 1,781

Naonite  137,560

Trinium 28,572

[spoiler=images]

StarStrider200_f_zpsd3qngqvo.jpg

StarStrider200_b_zpshh4pfghz.jpg

StarStrider200_s_zpsirlrrcfw.jpg

Here's some of the turret hard points with a mix of szie 0.5 and 0.3 turrets in them, sorry I've not got any size 1 turrets to show.

StarStrider200_g2_zps7ev2qfsb.jpg

Close up of a double 0.5 size mount, 0.5 size gun on the left and a 0.3 sized gun on the right

It's two separate 0.5x0.5x0.5 blocks on purpose, so you can easily snap a turret on if you've got "block middle" selected

StarStrider200_g1_zpsimocz4bu.jpg

NEW IN

Nebular

The latest in Cruiser from Pob Heavy Industries, she may not win any beauty contests but what she does do is combine high levels of controllability, survivability, fire power and a fighter compliment to be a really solid ship for any roll in any hostile environment.

Xanion internals with Trinium engines, thrusters and skin. Now comes with one free coffee--o-matic 3000tm, the coffee machine loved by fighter pilots everywhere, in the forward crew rest lounge. Pob Heavy Industries does not bare any responsibility for damages caused by excess use of the coffee--o-matic 3000 by fighter pilots

Cost $5,719,287

Iron 84,000

Titanium 4,050

Trinium 233,270

Xanion 284,800

[spoiler=images]

nebular_f_zpsu0m3n0xb.jpg

nebular_b_zpsaxucgurr.jpg

nebular_i_zps4tshiben.jpg

StarStrider 300

The StarStrider 300 is a light Carrier with design that diverts from the other ships of the StarStrider series.

It's asymmetrical design is still focused on manoeuvrability however it sacrifices some turning ability in favour of breaking and strafing.

Cost $1,274,477

Iron 21,600

Titanium 1,706

Trinium 42,684

Xanion 80,574

[spoiler=Animated gif, watch it spin]

StarStrider-300_zpsfhqbdtcz.gif

I still think it's a bit small, however I'm very happy with the design and how it came out that I'm putting it up.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

These are really nice looking ships.

However, the dropbox links to your .xml files do not work. I think that you copied the wrong URL or something.

Thanks and I've fixed the link now (I think) just one link to afolder with all the xml's in it.

Here's a new experimental design the Broadhead

still undergoing tweaking and testing, a destroyer, internals are a mix of Trinium and Xanion, hull a mix of Naonite and Trinium armour

broadhead_x_zpsgy4mctz5.jpg

currant stats

cost $ 3,195,622

Iron 20,160

Titanium 4,432

Naonite 11,986

Trinium 54,370

Xanion 162,704

edit: ignore these numbers, final version is now in the first post

Ok I've been designing in creative mode, then building my ships in single player for testing, tweaking and evaluation.

A ship has to be functional.

So no Broadhead final design yet because I've hit a slight snag, they are called "the Oogled" a large, hostile and aggressive faction sitting right on the Trinium/Xanion boundary.

They are constantly sending head hunters after me and attacking all nearby friendly factions, this has lead to it being difficult to get my hands on 162k Xanion I need :/ 

But I do have a new experimental design to share, the Mule a cargo freighter

mule_x_zpsttzbxer3.jpg

Current stats

Cost $ 347,159

Iron 1,200

Titanium 43,617

Trinium 21,815

I've re-used the engine pods from the MFF-101 although scaled up, I originally used docking blocks on the sides  of the cargo pods, it looked good like giant doors into each pod, but they added too much weight which meant I had to scale up the engine pods more and just added too much trinium.

I might cut it down to 4 pods, it'll reduce the cargo capacity but increase the breaking reducing station collision 

Mule experimental and Broadhead final added to the drop box.

details and images to come

I lengthened the Broadhead, tweaked the internals, swapped the Naonite top beam with Xanion for weapon mounting and did a basic clean up

Hey Pod.

"The Broadhead" looks pretty cool.

Thanks, I'm really pleased with how it came out, I did want to scale it up a bit, however due to the position of the origin block I just cannot get it to copy and paste scale.

I've also got the correct values now, I had mirror mode on last time  ::)

I did want to scale it up a bit, however due to the position of the origin block I just cannot get it to copy and paste scale.

Try holding left alt and selecting a different anchor block for the scale. Then try moving around to try and target different sides of the starting block. I can always get it to work this way.

I did want to scale it up a bit, however due to the position of the origin block I just cannot get it to copy and paste scale.

Try holding left alt and selecting a different anchor block for the scale. Then try moving around to try and target different sides of the starting block. I can always get it to work this way.

I'll give that a go, Thanks.

The main issue I've got is that the first block is the key hull block for the ship, you delete that and the whole ship goes, unfortunately this is also seems to be counted as the primary block when you try to paste it back in and I put it in the middle of my ship.

I'm still trying to get used to the quirks of the build system, the UI needs work.

I've had good luck scaling any ship with the following process:

1. Get in the build menu of the ship you're trying to scale

2. Select all the blocks on the ship

3. Ctrl-c (also works if you start at this point with a template)

4. Exit the ship and found a new ship

5. Ctrl-v

6. Use left alt to select an appropriate anchor block

7. Scale as desired and click to build (you may need to try targeting different sides/areas on the starter block

8. Check newly built scale

9. Ctrl-z if required and repeat scale adjustment to fine tune

10. When happy with the scale, turn off safe mode and delete the starter block

11. Voila!

Once I started using that process, I've been very successful

Hi Pob

Regarding the first block ...

I would suggest "transforming the first block to a type that suits your design.

Some one may better explain this than I, but ... When you transform and merge your original block, it can throw off to your midlines for x, y and z.

But doing the transform and merge, it may open up your scale-ability more, but maybe save the xml before trying.

I am pretty sure you cannot undo.  Good luck

Cheers

I've had good luck scaling any ship with the following process:

1. Get in the build menu of the ship you're trying to scale

2. Select all the blocks on the ship

3. Ctrl-c (also works if you start at this point with a template)

4. Exit the ship and found a new ship

5. Ctrl-v

6. Use left alt to select an appropriate anchor block

7. Scale as desired and click to build (you may need to try targeting different sides/areas on the starter block

8. Check newly built scale

9. Ctrl-z if required and repeat scale adjustment to fine tune

10. When happy with the scale, turn off safe mode and delete the starter block

11. Voila!

Once I started using that process, I've been very successful

Yes it's step 6 I didn't know about, which meant no matter what I did with scale it would not let me paste the new blue print as it was trying to paste an internal face onto the starter cube so it will not let you paste as it's overlapping.

EDIT: ahh I get the left alt thing now, very nice, shame we cannot give a fixed vaklue to the scaleing

Sneak peak at my new carrier build

carrier_x_zpswairlfvo.jpg

I say build rather than design as it's not really original (bonus points if anyone can guess what this ship is or where it's from ;) )

At the same time I'm not faithfully following the original more heavily-heavily-influenced, I'd really need wedge shaped hangers to be faithful.

The main body is finished, just a heck of a lot of detail on the top to work out, the original is also very asymmetrical especially on all the fiddly details, I may well make it more blocky for both speed and my sanity. ;)

Those ships look amazing and I'm generally impressed by the functional stats.

My one caveat would have to be the Broadhead so far. I think its stats are a little subpar. It definitely looks better than my Rhino, but I can't figure out why it gets outclassed on nearly every aspect. The Rhino is bigger, yes, but it doesn't use Xanion. It also lugs around a huge cargo bay, has better yaw/pitch/roll, more shields, more brake thrust, has higher hyperspace reach and practically the same cooldown (!?) more power and battery and uses less crew!?

Not trying to brag here, I just don't get how it could literally only beat the Rhino in forwards acceleration. Admittedly , it's pretty much half the price across the board and has a much "smoother" material requirement than the Rhino and it looks pretty darn sexy.

Was the rhino made in the live 10.2.7448?

All my ships are made in the beta 10.5.7633, there's more changes to the flight mechanics.

I'll open the rhino up and have a look see if I can figure out why.

edit just saw your are too, time to strip them down and dig into the guts

I'm gonna do the same with the Broadhead, see if I can pull a bit more performance out of it by switching something up under the hood because that thing is too gorgeous to pass up on.

EDIT: Okay, the biggest thing is the computer core. The Rhino is all "real" volume. The Broadhead isn't. You can gain some rad/s and thrust/speed by making the thrusters and crew quarters out of Trinium instead, though.

Playing with it a bit more reveals that you overdid the computer core a lot. If you only make the piece closest to the CoM out of Xanion, you still get 7 slots AND you can remove all the other computer cores. I'm gonna mess around with it a bit and post a shot of the refit.

EDIT 2: Here's a screenshot of the new stats with minor adjustments. The shields are nearly doubled and you have almost 0.1 rad/s more yaw and pitch and a bit more than that in roll (may not seem like much, but that's almost 25% faster turns). Thrust is marginally improved. Stats are with exactly 100% engineers efficiency. The price is lower overall, but it uses more Trinium and less Xanion.

luo9Beo.png

It could be improved more, but it would probably come at the cost of looks.

Ok I think I see what's going on, it's multiple factors in construction method

I've just stripped off all the hull and armour blocks, where blocks are holding sections together I've put in some cheap iron scaffold or converted the block, as the mass and material cost is almost nothing here are the results.

to start with non-stripped, used the /crew fill command to give them both a basic minimum crew (crew skill effects the numbers, esp shield/engine/generator output

ship rhino Broadhead
cost 2,485,351 1,580,348
iron 43,673 10,080
titanium 0 2,174
Naonite 0 5,885
Trinium 246,088 35,067
Xanion 0 75,931
Total 289,761 129,137
volume 6.66mil 5.52
mass 0.13m 0.13m

So on the base stats the broadhead is roughly 60% of the credit cost, 40% of the total material cost, 80% of the volume and the same mass

Apart from slightly higher thrust, larger crew quarters and lower energy requirement the Rhino is better in every other stat.

I think I can see what's going on here, the first clue to the poor performance of the Broadhead is a smaller volume for the same mass, however it's also using a lot less material, so what I've used is a heavier and a lot cheaper (this is mainly why the hp is so much lower)

So let's strip off all the armour and hull and see what we get.

Rhino stripped

rhino_s_zps05hcwdk1.jpg

Broadhead stripped

broadhead_s_zpskzdlq29t.jpg

ship rhino Broadhead
cost 2,467,863 1,549,797
iron 43,546 10,080
titanium 0 2,150
Naonite 0 1
Trinium 235,931 31,600
Xanion 0 75,589
Total 279,477 119,420
volume 5.33mil 3.85
mass 86.84k 74.8k

The Rhino lost 45k mass, 1.33m volume, 10,284 material (95% trinium)

The Broadhead lost 55k mass, 1.67m volume, 9,717 material (60% Naonite  30% Trinium)

And here we have the next clue as to the poor performance of the broadhead, while they've lost roughly the same material, the Broadhead has lost more mass and volume.

the Rhino is made up of about 30% Armour by mass, the broadhead is about 40% hull/armour mix (26% hull 14% armour)

Now we can see the internals lets look at those.

The Rhino manoeuvrability comes mainly from 3 large 9.6x4.8x4.8 blocks of directional thrusters at the back and a large 9.6x14.4x2.1 slab of iron inertial damper

All the other internal parts are made up of large blocks or slabs

The Broadhead manoeuvrability comes mainly from standard thrusters in a 4 of large-ish 4x4x8 blocks,6 2x4x2 block and a lot of smaller sticks and blocks to get the curves into the outer hull this is backed up by a 4x4x4 cube inertial damper.

There are some directional thrusters but most are front/back facing for breaking

All the are Xanium not Trinium unlike the Rhino.

Overall the Broadhead has a much smaller internal structure, I built the core out of 4x4x4 cubes starting by putting them into a stick then sticking more to the sides at each end, the cubes at the front end I had to cut up into smaller bits to get the shape.

Overall you've got a far better design in functionality and simplicity, my original design did try to keep material cost down, I wanted less than 100k total material.

The use of 3 large directional thruster blocks is very nice, one I will have to remember and implement.

looks like you beat me to it, took me a while to write that post, serves me right for getting fancy with tables.

computer core was something I didn't look at, yes that probably needs to be changed, thanks

Unfortunately while it looks pretty all the curving, smoothing and details make it hard to get into it.

That's also why I used Naonite hull block, I like the looks. ;)

I made some quick changes to it, if you look at my previous post's second edit. I can put the XML in here, too. Actually I'll do that right here, no reason not to.

Broadhead, Ohm refit XML

EDIT 2: Here's a screenshot of the new stats with minor adjustments. The shields are nearly doubled and you have almost 0.1 rad/s more yaw and pitch and a bit more than that in roll (may not seem like much, but that's almost 25% faster turns). Thrust is marginally improved. Stats are with exactly 100% engineers efficiency. The price is lower overall, but it uses more Trinium and less Xanion.

luo9Beo.png

It could be improved more, but it would probably come at the cost of looks.

EDIT:

Overall you've got a far better design in functionality and simplicity, my original design did try to keep material cost down, I wanted less than 100k total material.

The use of 3 large directional thruster blocks is very nice, one I will have to remember and implement.

Yeah, but my ships are among the least impressive in terms of looks compared to the average stuff posted on these forums. It does reflect my design philosophy, although it shouldn't be too hard to implement much better aesthetics, but it would require me to spend a lot more time designing.

Anyways, there's merit in cheaper designs like the Broadhead. Building my Rhino in my normal campaign was annoying due to the high upfront cost in Trinium and it totally wastes the resources you gather earlier. I feel progressing into a Broadhead would be a lot smoother.... and it looks so freaking good to boot!

I found it fun to look at it and improve on it, though. I should make a point of doing that with designs I like. Maybe people could prettify my designs, too.  :P

Going off on a tangent here, but I basically sketch the basic shape of my designs and then build the core of the functional blocks near my guesstimate position of where the CoM would be from my sketch. Everything but thrusters. I keep a decent amount of space free for thrusters to be put in last. I also make sure that the space I keep is going to be as far away from the CoM as possible to maximize maneuverability. Then I slap on some armor and/or hull, glow blocks and add some details. Coat the thing in some paint job and call it a day.

EDIT 2:

Unfortunately while it looks pretty all the curving, smoothing and details make it hard to get into it.
What? I found it more orderly than a lot of my designs, save maybe the Rhino which was built from huge blocks. All I had to do was remove the back plate to make most of the changes.

I did have to "ghost" through the hull by zooming in and use the selector tool to tell what I was looking at to replace the materials though.

But if you think the Broadhead is a mess to look at under the hood, you better not strip the Nomad or the Taurus. Those are a mess of trying to get precise numbers, filling in gaps in the sketched hull and optimizing the final product.