[Any Version, AFAIK] Ships self-destructing when removing blocks in build mode

Ohm is Futile

Basically what the titles says. Happens to me fairly often when I want to create a new design around an existing ship to avoid losing my crew (which then dies, because the ship is considered destroyed).

You go about your business, making dysfunctional cool-looking stuff or making very functional crappy-looking things and you decide you don't want this big chunk anymore, so you use the box selection tool and delete a bunch of blocks and *POOF* your ship has been destroyed, you have been kicked out of build mode and you respawn, losing all your stuff. Removing stuff a few blocks at a time doesn't seem to help. I've tried taking apart the bits I don't want anymore in smaller chunks and it gets very unpredictable as to whats an acceptable removal or what results in your ship being destroyed.

Note: I never removed all the blocks. It also happens even if there is technically more mass/volume left than I am removing at one time.

I'm not sure what causes it, perhaps the game considers the ship has lost more than its total pool of HP, but then when is the pool of HP calculated? When you enter build mode? When you add blocks? Once every X ticks?

It's weird and very frustrating when it happens.

I've got just 2 questions:

Did you disable the safe-mode? This protects you from changes that would destroy the entire ship.

Did you delete the start-block (the block you got when you started the ship)? That one may not be deleted, safe mode should protect you from that, too.

I usually start a game in creative-mode, make a new layout there, then switch to the normal game and just load the new layout (your whole ship is changed within a second, you don't loose anything).

I'll admit, I usually turn safe mode off because it stops me from deleting certain blocks and I often leave it off after that. I guess I should test safe mode more, although I've found it fairly annoying so far because it also prevents deleting certain blocks although they wouldn't result in the ship's destruction.

I also use creative mode extensively, but crew is still a problem in creative mode as you simply cannot tell how a ship will perform mobility-wise without crewing at least the engineering department.

The greatest issue outside of creative has been to simply upgrade a ship to another material through copying and pasting the design and selecting a different template material simply because you need to remove the old useless copy. It's kind of annoying to switch game mode just for that, although given how frustrating this issue can be, it's certainly better than losing campaign progress.

You can also easily upgrade your ship by editing the .xml file of the buildplan.

Just look for the MaterialType=0 where 0 is Iron and 6 is Avorion and replace the needed material.

If you use a different tech level than your armor for example Naonite and Titanium, it's very easy to upgrade both 1 level so your armor becomes Trinium and the tech Xanion by keeping the material types seperate.