Late game on insane dif is far to easy. (may contain spoilers)

Avitus12
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Well its currently hard to balance anything, with such wild RNG deviations we have in game now...

Balancing crew cost and such won´t work, because when you find one or two good trade routes, money will not present any problem for you in game (and it can be done so early, that you don´t have to care for them whole game).

Balancing DPS by turret slots also won´t work, because its not possible to balance anything in game, when one lvl30 trinium turret gives you 300dps on 5km range, and another lvl30 trinium turret gives you 1000dps on 5km range. There is no way to balance this, unless rng spreads are cut down HARD. I mean, those deviations should be more like 30% max for same tech, not 300%...

Same for trade routes, one gives you 200k per trip, another in neighbourhood sector gives you 10mil per trip... what the f***

Agreed, in the games current form any balance to do with costs wont work to well but it may become viable at some point.

I think a slider up to 9001% would be fine.

A more complex faction ship designer is also needed, or maybe something that sources ranked ships from a heavily moderated and voted upon forum thread to seed faction designs would be nice as well.

From copypasta, to procedural librarys, it would be a good way to get the factions to look more deliberate and uninque.

Does increasing the difficulty in the server.ini do anything?  Right now insane is difficulty 4, does setting it to 5 or higher make enemies stronger?

I have not tested his, but I'm guessing no... probably a very fast way to corrupt something though...

• 2 weeks later...

As Koonschi pointed out, upping Dps is not really the best solution. It still requires you to roleplay or you'll just build bigger ships and negate it. (Maybe an unlimited setting in the server configuration file would make both parties happy?)

An alternative that I'd like to see, would be intuitive combat late game. For example: Your chugging along in a sector and surprise! It's attacked. 5-6 Cruisers jump in and have average end game weapons. Well of course, you throw them against the nearest asteroid and continue about your day. However....

This sector is now "marked" (behind the scenes not visible to player) so to speak and elevated to level 2. The next time enemies show up, they bring twice as many ships, and one of the ships is fully outfitted to drain your shields. (Their starting to think). So of course, any seasoned ship would just target the support, and then be fine, but the next set of ships that jump in to the now marked level "3" system....

This time there coming prepared. A Flagship that the code copied from YOUR ship stats (ie. you have 10k blocks, their flagship is 10k blocks), 10-15 cruisers for damage, a myriad of support ships for draining shields, netting your engines, draining power, maybe kamikaze type drones that smash into your ship ignoring shields and explode taking out pieces of key equipment. And if you do happen to jump away, this fleet was ready - they have smaller netting fleets on the other side of most jump paths and the main fleet will follow you until your in safe territory.... The possibilities are endless on what Koonschi could dream up.

I think a difficulty system like this would make the game more realistic and less tiring same wave over and over just higher dps.

Even when upping HP and DPS of enemy ships, there will always be one problem remaining: You build your own ship. You define how beefy your ship is. This means you also define how long you can take enemy fire, and that means that there is no possible buff to enemy DPS or HP that will make you happy long-term.

If I up the DPS by 500%, you can just build a ship that has 5 times more HP and we're in the same situation again.

If I up the HP of enemies by 400% combat will take a lot longer and will be extremely boring if you don't have enough firepower, but enough HP.

I'd rather add other, more meaningful changes to the game combat. I've got some changes to shields in mind, as well as changes to weapons that can penetrate shields or disable ships (including yours) or parts of them. These are just thoughts, not promises.

;D thank you koonschi, this is something good to here.

It's very hard to balance something like this when there's so many factors that players can influence and min/max.

From my personal experience players min/max'ing is a major factor in breaking a games balance/difficulty, a min/max'ed player always finds it too easy but if you base difficulty on that then all you do is encourage everyone to min/max as the only way to play.

Another thing I'd like to point out is that the late game/galactic core seems rather half done atm.

ps spellcheck want to rename you Moonshine ;)

• 1 month later...

its not really easy to balance difficulties without only hp/dps changes which like already said could be boring.

i would like to see that on insane the enemy have maximum range for their weapons. this is a bit more painful if they attack you 3-8 km earlier. their movement should be more agile. if there are faster ships with higher range and dps and tough ones with biggest range ever with even more dps it could be hard to manage.

as koonschi said with some more technical adjustments on weapons like conditions which can hurt you heavy should be also an interesting part. like emp weapons with area effect. to disable technical blocks inside your ship for some time. like thrusters, generators, engine etc...maybe even weapons. this will make it more important to place them on more spots on your ship and not only on a few blocks. i hope such and some more things will be added to make it a bit futile to survive.

oh most important thing they should use boosters...

• 3 months later...

An issue with ships at high tier is the ships because of their relative size, they all become brawlers, it may be an idea to increase the base range of weapons based on tier, so iron hits around 2k away but when you get to Avorion it's closer to 20k.

I would also prefer it if the tiers were more separated, so you need to play through all the tiers fully, currently, even on insane I was skipping tiers (content), in other words you need to have the best ship of the of the previous tier to progress, I don't want to skip tiers it just so easy to do it now.

• 3 weeks later...

Playing on the recent beta version I feel that insane really is insane. My 3 million shield ship gets some serious beating by even Ogonite level pirates, and Avorion level enemies are on my hull within seconds. The difficulty is definitely where it should be right now, at least on the higher levels.

I also still skip everything till Xanion level, because for once there is no need to walk through the tiers, and then every tier below Avorion feels like a complete waste of time. I wish there was more incentive to actually play the tiers instead of skipping right to the highest level.

An issue with ships at high tier is the ships because of their relative size, they all become brawlers, it may be an idea to increase the base range of weapons based on tier, so iron hits around 2k away but when you get to Avorion it's closer to 20k.

I second this notion, having weapons with 2km range on your 3km long ship both feels and looks ridiculous. At the very minimum a system upgrade that increases range and or projectile velocity.