We need a way to protect player ships offline

Identitools

Suggestion

While this seems not "fair", player protection is logical, you cannot have 1000 crewmen and your ship is still getting slowly killed by another player, not even replying to the attack. Also maybe a module who allow to be "shifted" to another dimension while offline, or even just some NO PVP zones.

8 answers to this suggestion

This is one of those hard to address topics.

If it's just you.  You can hide your ship in the Trinium belt pretty easily.  Most player hang out in the core from what I've heard.

However, if some faction war servers get going how does a faction protect it's stations when no one's online?

From the beta patch notes:

Upcoming Features for the next patch

• Creating groups of players so you can see where your friends are (This is not the Alliances update, groups are not alliances!)
  • RCON Interface for the server
  • Safe Sectors
  • Loading Screen Safety
  • Respawn Sector Change
  • Hotkeys for enabling/disabling energy systems

So we know that he is aware of the problem and has something in his mind to at least protect ships.

While this have a good chance to work, this still makes no sense, this is like 1000 crewmen are sleeping at the same time in the middle of nowhere...
Well, crewmen on modern naval ships can spend weeks on patrol missions doing absolutely nothing. Its not anything out of the ordinary. Now, getting back to our bananas, take the dimensions of your ship's Crew Quarters (one with 1000 crewmen) and multiply them by 10. This is the metric size of the ship's module specifically reserved for recreational purposes. I think these guys should have no problem waiting a day or two in these conditions.

It doesn't have good chances, it works 100%. Nobody will ever find a ship in the middle of nowhere. I just wonder if building a station in such a sector will make it detectable. Worth a test.

I really think they should be able to defend them self's!!!

If Generators had this feature

Unstable and stable modes:

When a reactor is placed it is automatically set to unstable which means it generates the normal amount of energy. However the player is able to turn reactors to stable mode which means that the generator will put out ten times as much energy. In this mode though the ship the reactor is attached on will not be allowed to travel faster than 100 m/s and cannot perform hyperspace jumps effectively making it into a station or a defensive weapon platform.

Switching a reactors mode takes time according to the mass of the reactor if you have a massive reactor it can take up to twenty minutes for it to fully switch, during which time it produces verey litle energy and is vulnerable to attack.

and weapons worked like this

5: Weapons

New blocks added one for each weapon type.

Plus a new weapon type called torpedo, which will move very slowly but pack a heavy punch. (Bombers anyone?)

These blocks would work off of this principle.

The width and height of the block will determine its energy efficiency and max aim angle.

IE: a block of 0.05 scale can only shoot a 25° arc in front of it. While a block of 0.1 might be able to shoot at a 75° arc.

However the larger the block the slower the aiming speed. So a block of 0.5 might be able to shoot at an almost 360° angle and have excellent energy efficiency but it will take forever for it to turn and track its target. For missiles on the other hand the larger the slower they move.

The length of the block will determine its range and accuracy. In case of missiles their lock on maneuverability. There is no drawbacks to this stat, however the larger the weapon the more gunners and mechanics it’s going to require.

Once placed in the build mode a new UI option becomes available. In this option you can adjust its fire rate and damage. The higher the DPS the more power draw.

Yes with this method one could theoretically make a weapon that uses all their energy in one shot but this would be quite foolhardy. The players will undoubtedly find a good balance between power usage and damage according to their own preferences.

These new weapon blocks would not all be available when the player first starts they would have to search throughout the world to buy their blueprints. One for each type of resource and each resource would have a different effect for each type of weapon.

Turrets:

All turrets would now be independent firing. The player can also scale them increase or decreasing there DPS and power draw. Turrets as a whole should also never cost more than one gunner especially as they get more advanced.

As they scale in size though just like the weapon blocks there turning speed and aiming speed significantly decreases thus making them effective against larger slower targets and quite ineffective against fast agile ones.

Stations and weapon platforms could obliterate attackers. Meaning you would have to have full one war to take them out.

I'm glad to hear that we're going to see safe zones soon.

Even then, though, I wonder if players should also be able to dock with stations such that they are invulnerable? But then, what happens if the station is attacked?

I had a conversation with my friend tonight about Avorion quirks. He was surprised to hear that the game did not have a safe zone and how bandit and alien attacks occur constantly - at like 10 minute intervals.

In addition to safe sectors, he also thought that - since stations are the lifeblood of the galaxy's economy - they should be considered neutral ground or off limits by way of faction treaty. (Though, I don't see why aliens would honor such a treaty.)