[r7633] Stall related to worker thread

Devious

After updating the server there was a stall on the server related to the worker threads.

I still don't understand much about them but our performance seem to have improved after increasing the standard amount.

How are these threads being utilised by the processor of the server?

When I look at the thread usage of my CPU it still seems to mainly use the same two threads it always does.

Here you will find the server log: https://we.tl/JsngOabY33

• Boxelware Team

One of the worker threads crashed. Use as many worker threads as you have cores available. The workers are the ones updating sectors on the server. When you have 10 active sectors and 5 worker threads, they will, on average, each update 2 sectors, cutting work down to 20%, compared to a single thread. Using more threads than you have cores available achieves nothing, since they won't be able to run in parallel.

When there's not enough work for all 5 threads then only a lower amount will actually run and use CPU power, it always depends on the workload.

I saw that you've got mods installed. This could be a potential source of the problem. If possible, try to reproduce the crash reliably, this makes fixing it a lot easier. Or run the server on linux, Avorion can print much better errors on linux.

Thanks we will give it a try.

I have now set the worker threads to 8 and the generator threads to 4.

The processor only has 4 cores (8 threads) while the log mentions that there are 8 cores so that is a little confusing.

Is it safe to increase the generator threads as well or is it best to keep those low?

That's why I asked if they run in parralel and if they are both set to the same maximum amount since Windows also utilizes the first processor core for background processes which might interfere.