Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

Beta Branch Patchnotes 0.10.5.7633

koonschi

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also made a massive ship today. It's pretty impossibru to make amazing design because of the massive amount of directional thrusters to get decent mobility. I need my mobility! I'll have to keep trying but it's extremely hard lol

33yta2w.jpg

It is not "impossibiru to make amazing design". It's just some people for some reason expect that is should be easy to make over-a-megaton ship rotate like a fighter. What are you trying to achieve is not "decent" maneuverability. It is "ridiculously high" maneuverability for ship of that size.

Big ships ARE supposed to be handled differently. It's not ruining your possibility to make ships of desired shape and looks, and recreate some SSD from SW or whatever. But when you do, remember that SSD do not rotate that fast at all. That would just ruin all the feeling of "big ship".

I would personally vote for making big ships rotate even harder. Maybe people would eventually realize what mouse aiming is for, and stop trying to handle every ship like a corvette.

However, if that would happen, loot collecting should be easier, imo. Heavy sluggish battleship flying around and trying to "catch" floating upgrades with its face is very stupid, immersion-breaking, and unnecessarily annoying.

No just stop.. last I checked this is a sandbox game and is about having fun. Not focused on realism! So if I want to build a megaton ship and make it a fighter I should be able to! Your idea of making it even harder is against the fun aspect rules. Making people MORE fusturated that their freedom and creativity is being even more destroyed for realism ruins the purpose of this game. This is not a sim for the 100th time..

No just stop.. last I checked this is a sandbox game and is about having fun. Not focused on realism! So if I want to build a megaton ship and make it a fighter I should be able to! Your idea of making it even harder is against the fun aspect rules. Making people MORE fusturated that their freedom and creativity is being even more destroyed for realism ruins the purpose of this game. This is not a sim for the 100th time..

I am NOT promoting realism for the sake of realism in this game. Yes, it is not a sim, and never will be. This is a sandbox game about having fun. Absolutely correct.

And "battleships" turning like fighters is not fun. It is immersion-breaking.

Main thing is: in this game, ship's stats do depend on design of your ship. You are trying to pick one stat (maneuverability) and say that is should be possible to have any desired maneuverability, no matter what ship you build.

"Sandbox" don't yet mean "i should be able to build anything and then assign to it any desired stats no matter what".

If we continue your idea, next logical thing to say would be:

"hey, i want to have a miniature ship, 10 meters long, and i want it to have 10 million shields! Why that is not possible? This is the game about having fun or what? That limits my creativity, i want to be able to create small but indestructible ship!"

That would be exactly as valid as your statements.

I am NOT promoting realism for the sake of realism in this game. Yes, it is not a sim, and never will be. This is a sandbox game about having fun. Absolutely correct.

And "battleships" turning like fighters is not fun. It is immersion-breaking.

Main thing is: in this game, ship's stats do depend on design of your ship. You are trying to pick one stat (maneuverability) and say that is should be possible to have any desired maneuverability, no matter what ship you build.

"Sandbox" don't yet mean "i should be able to build anything and then assign to it any desired stats no matter what".

If we continue your idea, next logical thing to say would be:

"hey, i want to have a miniature ship, 10 meters long, and i want it to have 10 million shields! Why that is not possible? This is the game about having fun or what? That limits my creativity, i want to be able to create small but indestructible ship!"

That would be exactly as valid as your statements.

The thing is they can have massive manoeuvrability but it look damn ugly what they seem to want is super creative blocks with super stats, ask the dev if he'll add creative blocks for single player :P

The thing is they can have massive manoeuvrability but it look damn ugly what they seem to want is super creative blocks with super stats, ask the dev if he'll add creative blocks for single player :P

The thing is, thrusters don't make your ship any more ugly, they can be placed inside the ship, just like any other block. It would be like

1. saying  "i want double the shields"

2. placing additional shields outside the ship instead of dedicating internal volume for this

3. whining on the forum how shields destroy creativity and make ugly ships.

As for the blocks with super stats - i hope that this would eventually be moddable, or have an alternative branch, so that people who want to have arbitrary stats, non-dependent on their ship size, would have the possibility to play their own game.

Okay hang on.. you saying huge ship turning like a fighter is not fun and immersion breaking... I'm sorry I do find it fun to make a huge ship that flies around like a fighter. Also there are people making ships that are going over 300k m/s and are laughing and having fun about it.

You can choose to make your battleship slow all you want for immersion. But I'll enjoy mine the way I like it. Anyways I don't need to worry. Dev isn't gonna destroy the ability to make mobility impossible on big ships. Wait until main game goes from 10.2 to what we have. Gonna be an outcry lol

Also there are people making ships that are going over 300k m/s and are laughing and having fun about it.

Funny thing is that was me.

I made that ship which moved at 300 000 m/s around the planet. But to make such a ship, you need to design around it and sacrifice something. That's the point.

You can choose to make your battleship slow all you want for immersion. But I'll enjoy mine the way I like it. Anyways I don't need to worry. Dev isn't gonna destroy the ability to make mobility impossible on big ships.

The thing is: yes, obviously, i can just choose to limit my maneuverability if i want.

Or, if i think the shields are overpowered, i can just don't use shields.

If i think railguns making all other weapons obsolete, i can ignore railguns.

But:

What's the point of not having huge maneuverability if you can? IF you can pick any stats, there is no challenge in creating a good ship.

This game is not Spore, where what you build have no effects on stats of the ship.

Process of creating a ship involves both creating good looks and achieving desired stats, and this things are interwoven to some point (but not to the point where your ship can't look in a certain way, otherwise it would limit the people's imagination).

If you don't need to sacrifice anything (size, for example) to achieve desired result, then this result costs absolutely nothing. There is no point in saying "this is a maneuverable ship" if any ship can be as maneuverable as you want.

There is no point in saying "this ship is very durable" if any ship can be as durable as you want (without sacrificing anything).

Reason i'm against allowing achieving high rad/s without sacrifices is not realism, and not the will to reduce fun. It is because i want the maneuverability to actually mean something, to be a desired advantage, not a thing default to any ship.

The fun of creating a good ship is to balance between different advantages (slot number, durability, maneuverability, etc) to achieve what you want. If you don't need to think about it, then the concept of "ship stats" makes no sense at all: make all ships have same base stats, which can be modified by modules, and customizable appearance.

But that would be another game.

I am curious, are people able to make amazing looking ships, very large 10+ upgrades with also 0.4+ yaw/pitch and 1.00+ roll without ruining the design? I am havin a heck of a time trying to not sacrificing design over function.

I made a Battlestar about 1/2 scale. If I added less shields (4.7 mil currently) then I could have added more thrusters, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out for my first try. If I do it again, I will try and add a bit more brake thrust, but the bigger the ships the more deceptive the speed at which you move and brake becomes. It might look like it takes forever to stop, but when you look at how fast the speed goes down when you click your own ship then you see it's not really that bad.

Stats.jpg

Shot8.jpg

More here: http://www.avorion.net/forum/index.php/topic,2374.0.html

Sweet.. Finally put in lots of effort and was able to make a sweet ship with sweet stats lol. I finally learned to hide everything!

Xsotan go be running when they see my alien ship

dw8ew1.jpg

2z4zqcm.jpg

one day when I have a new built computer and can play this game on actual good settings cause right now im on lowest everything lmao.. ship will stand out even more.

Omg this ship flies like a dream! This is my kind of mobility!

Koonschi was at GDC in the US last week and that probably means that there was not a lot of work done in that time. But looking at the last weeks I would guess that tomorrow might a good candidate for a new build. But I have no insights in the development.

Koonschi was at GDC in the US last week and that probably means that there was not a lot of work done in that time. But looking at the last weeks I would guess that tomorrow might a good candidate for a new build. But I have no insights in the development.

Also he's moving into his new office, so hopefully that goes smoothly (power, network access, furniture, locating restrooms)

Also he's moving into his new office, so hopefully that goes smoothly (power, network access, furniture, locating restrooms)

Alright. So next month it is.  ::)

Also he's moving into his new office, so hopefully that goes smoothly (power, network access, furniture, bars, locating restrooms, bed)

*Fixed* Lol

this was on reddit from kooschi btw

koonschiAvorion Developer 2 points 52 minutes ago

We've been to GDC last week, which is a once-a-year opportunity (at least now that GDC Europe is gone) for meeting other professionals from the games industry that I just couldn't let slip. After coming back we've been busy moving into the new office (will post some pics soon :) ).

But now everything is in place and we're aiming for a patch this week, but no promises.

These are both reasons why updates have been scarce so far, since we're working on some bigger features that we have to test extensively: Player groups, so you can see each other in sectors and on the map (This is NOT the alliance update). This and more fixes and QoL improvements.

Hope that clears some things up!

I've recognized from reddit.com just now that Koonschi said he needs more than 3 hours to write an update note or anything like that.

I think he can use his native language to public the weekly quick news to save up time and just let the community do the translate.

I think players will surely appreciated this work and many people will take parts in it.

Google translate should do the work too.

Anyway, neither English or German is my native (English is so-so enough to understand) I am still waiting for next update to see what I can do to the localization files.

Keep up the good work and thank you.

lol is this place Koonschi might take a look at?

I agree, even a German message which we could translate ourselves is better than nothing.

Small messages here and there won't reach your large public, look at the steam forums for example ;)

Too many concerned players there, while everyone here knows Koonsch is busy working hard.

Players who bought the game through Steam and didn't bother to look further than the length of their noses think this game is already dead because the developer started off good with weekly messages but now hasn't published anything in weeks..

That is not how you want your players to think about an EA game and it's developer!

Personal energy should not be an excuse, this game earns enough to at least outsource the promotional part of this game.

If things keep going the way they are going, this game might not even make it to it's potential as players are already deserting the game because they think it failed.