Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

Beta Branch Patchnotes 0.10.5.7633

koonschi

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's nice to be able to improve turning of the ship and it's braking and all, but I'm not sure the extra blocks was a good idea for Avorion.

there's already 2 types of thruster block and I feel that's more than sufficient.

The new blocks just achieve functions already doable by thrusters, so are surely just adding bloat. Did a little test and found for small and big ships, the gyro and inertial dampener just make thrusters (a neat mechanic of the game) entirely obsolete. There's no reason to mess with thrusters when you can easily and cheaply outperform them with the new blocks.

Would have preferred to see effort go into something like reducing jump calculation times over long distances, as they are absolutely horrendous endgame. (either by modules, a block, or just reduce all round)

Gonna say this here once.

There's plenty games that  get the engineering  and pvp part better than what avorion  could ever do and yet avorion is growing in spite of them because the unique, different gameplay environment you had. Chasing the pvp minority screeching for infinite op designs will lose what made you unique. When everyone can solo the endgame or any other part not inconvenienced by the limitations of planet-sized ships, cooperation will be dead.

It's nice to be able to improve turning of the ship and it's braking and all, but I'm not sure the extra blocks was a good idea for Avorion.

there's already 2 types of thruster block and I feel that's more than sufficient.

The new blocks just achieve functions already doable by thrusters, so are surely just adding bloat. Did a little test and found for small and big ships, the gyro and inertial dampener just make thrusters (a neat mechanic of the game) entirely obsolete. There's no reason to mess with thrusters when you can easily and cheaply outperform them with the new blocks.

Would have preferred to see effort go into something like reducing jump calculation times over long distances, as they are absolutely horrendous endgame. (either by modules, a block, or just reduce all round)

You havn't tried the new blocks then.... I can assure you they arn't for anything of "large" status, their usefulness drops of exponentially based on volume, by time you get to anything "large" you can expect a 5th of your volume dedicated to these blocks to even achieve a 0.01 gain in yaw/pitch, and the energy drain on the dampeners are prohibitive as this also seems to scale up cubed while the effect scales linearly.

The new blocks open up all sorts of possibilities with design of smaller ships.

Hah, thats absolutely false statement .)

Gyros on my ship do NOTHING, as my ship is already too big to have any effect.

And dampeners somewhat work, but their energy drain is absolutely huge, AND they can only stop you - but I like to use thrusters for turning AND strafing aswell.

[...]there's already 2 types of thruster block and I feel that's more than sufficient.

You may have missed these quotes from koonschi, so just in case:

[...]With the new blocks it shouldn't be too hard for you to get the old flight feeling back. But if you like the realistic, newtonian flight style then I've got some good news for you, too.[...]

[...]In order to make the newtonian physics fans not feel left out, I've also added another feature: You can now toggle flight assistance on and off! If you think that you've got the skill for flying without flight assist or maybe you just like the feel of it, then you can toggle the assistance off and save yourself a lot of energy.[...]

[...]If you have a ship that abused the thruster-stacking method for achieving loads of brake thrust, then you will have to adjust your build. But I've given you more than enough tools for that, use them![...]

The blocks added are not designed to replace thrusters and directional thrusters. They work fairly differently and allow two (and more, when you mix and match, along with play around with your flight assistance mode) styles of flying.

The majority of the jump calculation time appears to actually be calculations Avorion is making to populate the sector. I've "tested" (tried to hunt down the exodus beacons lateish game, only to get stopped by a space-rift blockade, which turned out to be a fort of impassibility) by jumping around thirty sectors into completely empty space (calculation times were only a bit slower than jumping to a nearby empty sector), green dots (depends on the contents of the sector, but usually they weren't high enough to take more than a minute which was my hyperdrive spool up time), yellow dots (usually quicker than green dots, although I didn't hit very many yellow dots), and onto already explored systems (almost always about as quick as nearby empty space or nearby already explored space).

Now, I've got a decent computer, so it may very well be an issue of the amount of raw processing power required. I'm certain that koonschi will try and optimize the game, but that shouldn't stop him from adding new and interesting blocks that allow people to play how they want to play.

I'm really enjoying the inertia damper. It works pretty well on small to medium sized ships. I haven't found any use for the gyros yet though. Perhaps they are best used on small ships but I'm not seeing much difference than just using thrusters. I guess it gives players another option on ships that may be limited on thruster placement though.

Great changes! I like the new Blocks. I also like the possibility to turn the ships systems on and off now (looking forward to shortcuts, maybe even configurable directly in the power tab )

My ship has very good acceleration, but that makes slow precise movements a little inconvenient. So I thougt about turning the engines off to move around stations with thrusters alone. Works fine for up, down, left, right and backwards, but I cannot move my ship forward with thrusters. I think that makes no sense, because thrusters engage to slow the ship down when flying backwards, so they should have the power to move the ship forwards too.

Thanks again for all the great work! Keep it up!

Well the update is nice but the fixes don't seem to be working for me. Weapon range is still broken on my weapons, i have railruns supposed to shoot at 6km that can't at more than 3, my salvaging and mining that are below 0.75 while they are supposed to be 1.2.

The disabling of servers scripts is still an issue too. I haven't test much the rest but i feel like the fixes are not working at all. Don't know for others.

I pmed you the issue a few days earlier so that  it's not displayed on the forum cause the bug is quite a big issue.

I tested it yesterday to see if things were differents and on the server of my friends i disabled the shop (nobody couldn't buy anything after that) and the trasnfer of goods.

Of course a server reboot bring all the scripts back again online but that could force a lot of reboots for the servers. Or there is something wrong with this specific server, but i doubt a little bit as it diplayed an error in my console.

I made a report on the forum and sent a PM but if you want me to post something that will make all the server crash cause of people with bad intention, i'm ok with that.

I still don´t understand what part of "contact me via mail" is that hard one... :D  You can click on the mail icon under his profile picture to send e-mail directly from forum.

Below is a code piece from passagemap.lua, line 157

local max = Balancing.BlockRingMax + 1

Shouldn't this value be between BlockRingMax and BlockRingMin? Like

local max = Balancing.BlockRingMin + 1

or

local max = Balancing.BlockRingMax - 1

Before, it was BlockRingMin, and some sectors may have been considered as outside the ring and allowing gate connection over the ring. But with this change in beta, wouldn't BlockRingMax+1 result in some sectors considered as inside the ring even though they are located outside visually, and result in a similar issue; allowing gates going over the ring?

There is no github repository for this, you will have to use the beta branch on steam.

Here are the steps again, in case you might have missed a step:

1. Go to your Library and right-click on Avorion

2. Select Properties from the list which shows up (last entry)

3. In the window which opened, select the tab with the name "Betas"

4. From the dropdown-menu below the line "Select the beta...", you have to choose the entry "beta - Newest changes, Beta"

Then you can close the window again and steam should start to download the beta update.

The majority of the jump calculation time appears to actually be calculations Avorion is making to populate the sector. I've "tested" (tried to hunt down the exodus beacons lateish game, only to get stopped by a space-rift blockade, which turned out to be a fort of impassibility) by jumping around thirty sectors into completely empty space (calculation times were only a bit slower than jumping to a nearby empty sector), green dots (depends on the contents of the sector, but usually they weren't high enough to take more than a minute which was my hyperdrive spool up time), yellow dots (usually quicker than green dots, although I didn't hit very many yellow dots), and onto already explored systems (almost always about as quick as nearby empty space or nearby already explored space).

Now, I've got a decent computer, so it may very well be an issue of the amount of raw processing power required. I'm certain that koonschi will try and optimize the game, but that shouldn't stop him from adding new and interesting blocks that allow people to play how they want to play.

I wish people would stop perpetuating this. It's quite obviously not true. There is no reason an unvisited sector 2 jump away, would be an order of magnitude quicker for the game to populate than one that's 20 jumps away. Whatever prep the game has to do, it will be all the same functions done on a different map location. hence it'll take no longer whatever the distance to populate unvisited sectors.

long calculation times on long jumps is just game padding.

Really great game, very crash resistant, had only one crash so far (and that despite numerous wrongly merged functions from mods) I'm amazed by how smooth destruction and salvage is handled

Also wanted to say that the new flight mechanics are great, I especially like the prograde/retrograde markers and how well retrograde breaking now works.

kudos

edit

could you please make variable configuration available for blocks and turrets

I know the struggle with not ruining the design by adding some more thrusters that's is a bit more agile. With a ~1.8Mt / 0.17 bill m³ ship it's pretty hard to have a reasonable flight feeling as when you add more and more thrusters to make it a bit more maneuverable you also gain massive thrust in these directions.

Currently with my design I ended up with a more or less good feeling as long as I don't want to strafe with the ship as the thrust in left/right direction is so massive that it just feels not "right" considering the "main engine" thrust in comparison.

C3528EB1D28420F47091B73AE58CBA6483BD1F73

The "this doesn't feel pretty well" situations usually come up when thrusting up to max speed is taking ~20s with the main engine [without boost - with boost it's ~5s] - 8s up/down and ~5s left/right (and as you can see in the screen the raw specs are not extraordinary except for the brake thrust ... which also does not feel well when stopping the ship only takes ~6s).

Don't get me wrong - the flight model feels much much more reasonable now and the new blocks are a very nice addition but it somehow still does not feel well for such "massive" ship constructions ...

Or am I somehow abusing the flight-model by strictly using directional thrusters only plus not using any armor at all (everything you can see in the picture is either system block, thruster or reflect/hologram/glow block)?