Block Idea: Tractor Beam/Force Field

GrimJahk

Suggestion

5 answers to this suggestion

Functional block (volume dependent) that "assists" with Docking and collecting loot, and helps reduce collision damage with other ship/asteroids.

Anyone like it?

Yeah.  I'll also put forward the idea of a system card that works with this block to boost item pick up range and/or collision damage reduction.

Functional block (volume dependent) that "assists" with Docking and collecting loot, and helps reduce collision damage with other ship/asteroids.

Anyone like it?

Yeah.  I'll also put forward the idea of a system card that works with this block to boost item pick up range and/or collision damage reduction.

I was thinking it could be a function of Material/Volume... Unless you think this system is OP enough to warrant a choice of restricting other systems? (not many free module slots on my ships)

I was thinking it could be a function of Material/Volume... Unless you think this system is OP enough to warrant a choice of restricting other systems? (not many free module slots on my ships)

No. Look at it this way.  We have both hyperspace blocks and hyperspace boost systems.  If I block build a tractor beam system I maybe doing it more for the collision reduction.  Something that happens all the time.  Versus.  Using the system approach which I may be doing for more of the item collecting part.  Pop in the system after battle.  Collect the stuff.  Then remove the system.

I mostly agree.

- Improve Item collection range by multiplying dimensions. Passive energy upkeep.

- Reduce the collision damage based on total mass of suggested blocks compared to the total mass of the ship. Massive energy drain on collision relative to expected raw damage. Can be used to make ramming ships. Heavier materials of Tractor Field blocks can be used on a ship otherwise built with lighter materials to improve efficiency.

- Toggle by hot-key into Exterior Field mode, where both Internal effects are neutralized.

- Instead slows down any ships within a short radius, including the ship using it, based on comparison between masses - a friendly Mobile Trader will be slowed quickly (docking assist), a hostile ship of about the same mass will share the slow-down with the ship producing it (boarding prerequisite), and activating it near a station will only slowdown the source ship (docking assist, thruster-independent breaking).

- Shorter distances between objects produce higher slow-down effect, and stronger slow-down effect drains more power.

This way, lighter ships are better at protecting themselves from collisions, but heavy armored ships are better at boarding and trading.

Modifier module would also be good, as SageThe13th suggest. Base values should be reasonably balanced to encourage use, and the System itself can only give 2 bonuses out of 3 effects, so you can choose ones with preferred bonuses.