Interview with koonschi (German) / Entwickler-Interview mit koonschi (Deutsch)

Dad

Sorry für das späte Posting, aber da hier hauptsächlich die englischsprachige Community unterwegs ist dachte ich, dass ich das Interview

wohl eher im deutschsprachigen Forum veröffentliche. Ein Zuschauer hat nun darum gebeten. Dem komme ich hiermit gerne nach:

Mein Interview mit Konstantin "koonschi" Kronfeldner, dem Entwickler von Avorion.

Wir sprechen über den Stand der Entwicklung, geplante Features und wie es zur "Geburt" von Avorion gekommen ist.

Viel Spaß damit :=)

LG,

Dad

good one, very informative!

@Dad War das erste Interview dieser Art? Wirklich gut durchgeführt dafür, strukturiert und klar verständlich... tolle Arbeit! Wär bei der letzten Anekdote zur Entstehung des Buildmode fast geplatzt vor Lachen, besagter Freund verdient nen Orden!  ;D

for our non-german speaking community users i summarized the Questions and answers for your reading pleasure:

1) Daily Routine since Early Access?

- 1/2 Community Work (Forums, E-Mails, Questions), 1/2 Coding/Working for the next Update

2) The Team? Any Help?

- gets Help by the Community in Forum Management, etc.

- Currently main Programming Helper busy studing

- ~1.000 Bugtickets per Day (including Doubleposts, Tickets wich are no Bugs, etc.)

--> ! Please check existing Bug-Reports first !

3) Development Fokus?

- Currently Multiplayer:

1) Serverbrowser with Password-Support, easier Server Administration (e.g. Indexes

instead of names)

2) more Stability, less corrupted Data

3) Servermods-Support via STEAM-Workshop (wishes for Support without WS for Admins,

but there seems to be Security Issues)

4) No Support for STEAM-Cloud because of Filesizes

4) LINUX or WIN?

- started to Code on WIN, changed to LINUX for personal Preferance

- will definetly keep supporting both Platforms

5) Final Release?

- ~Q3 2017

- Basework basically finished, Content following next

- Workshopsupport for Shipsharing comming

- Fun-Fact: Koonschi was totally suprised to hear much people play the game maybe 1-2

hours, but use the BuildMode for hundrets, like a Creative Tool!

6) Build Mode?

- ~90% finished

- Changes on how Repairs are done --> Single Block Repairing (was right in work when the

Interview happened)

- Buttons for Shipwide Material-Upgrade, Scaling and 90°-Turning

- blank out Blocks for easier accessable Interiors

7) How to give suggestions?

- Best on forums, he checks it regularly and reads almost everything, even if not always

commenting

- Suggestions are no Development-Facts!

8) Why mainly communicate in english even tho german Dev-Team and strong Community?

- small Dev Team needs to focus, international accessiblility is important

- is very proud on the AVORION-Community

9) Future Plans after AVORION? AVORION 2?

- too soon, just a little dreaming here and there maybe, strongly focusses on AVORION

- maybe some content released as DLC after Main-Release

10) Do you yourself still enjoy playing AVORION?

- yes, but its still work, so it comes to looking at wanted features and bugs and results into

tendency to go on coding

11) Your friends playing AVORION?

- not so much, as personal taste still matters

- mentiones how impressed he is from the Community-Builds!

12) Influences on the Development of AVORION?

- X-Series (Mainly X3)

- X-Wing Alliance

- Minecraft --> "A game like X with procedually generated ships would be great, wouldnt it?"

... and AVORION was born! --> resulted in Koonschi's first work, a Ship Generator,

from which the game evolved --> Showed an early version to a friend:

Koonschi: "Look, all procedually generated ships made of little boxes!"

Friend: "Why not let the Players make the ships out of these little boxes?"

Koonschi: "!"

13) Storymode planned?

- No, Fokus on Sanbox Aspect after MP, e.g. building Stations, OOS-Production, etc.

14) Features to hard to implement?

- avoid "Feature Creep"

- landable Planets would be an example which wont make it into the main game, but could

get an own DLC after Release

- No InGame-VoiceChat, good tools out there for that

15) Reactions to negative Reviews?

- often belied expectations or grief about Bugs

--> ! Please read the Early Access Disclaimer before buying !

16) Controller-Support?

- No, controls too complex already

17) Traderoutes for owned NPC Ships?

- Yes

18) Founding Factions?

- Yes, planned for next big MP-Update after Serverbrowser

- Alliances of multiple players with shared Ressource Pool and Productions, shared Control

of multiple players on a single ship (like one Pilot, one Gunner, one Squad-Commander)

19) Category for different ship classes?

- would prefer not to hardcode these, but to allow Alliances to define their own classes

20) Bigger Turrets?

- Definetly, current turrets are remaining placeholders from an old system, expect something

more like Turrets scaled by damage done

21) more depth in Crew-Management?

- No, current system is basically as complex as he want it to be, no Skilltrees or

RPG-Style Elements

22) Creative Mode?

- Make the current "No Ressource-Mode" a real "Creative" Mode with endless Turrets,

Options for Crews, easy creation of Stations, etc.

hope its someway understandable...  ???

for our non-german speaking community users i summarized the Questions and answers for your reading pleasure:

20) Bigger Turrets?

- Definetly, current turrets are remaining placeholders from an old system, expect something

more like Turrets scaled by damage done

This!!^^^^

Huge solution that addresses a number of problems...

Tiny ships can no longer equip 1k DPS turrets (or more than one), and an actual reason to have a bigger ship. I would assume that it also translates to Passive turrets as well... this is an AWESOME solution!

12) Influences on the Development of AVORION?

- X-Series (Mainly X3)

- X-Wing Alliance

- Minecraft --> "A game like X with procedually generated ships would be great, wouldnt it?"

... and AVORION was born! --> resulted in Koonschi's first work, a Ship Generator,

from which the game evolved --> Showed an early version to a friend:

Koonschi: "Look, all procedually generated ships made of little boxes!"

Friend: "Why not let the Players make the ships out of these little boxes?"

Koonschi: "!"

Pfft.  He didn't mention Borderlands, but that loot system seems awfully familiar.

I appreciate most of what is being said here. I'm especially looking forward to the planned changes for Build Mode.

Also, for what it's worth:

- landable Planets would be an example which wont make it into the main game, but could get an own DLC after Release

I would purchase that. :D

- Fun-Fact: Koonschi was totally suprised to hear much people play the game maybe 1-2 hours, but use the BuildMode for hundrets, like a Creative Tool!

I've been spending most of my time in Build Mode. But I plan to shift my focus to playing more after I get some ships I'm satisfied with and release the designs I've been working on.

15) Reactions to negative Reviews?

- often belied expectations or grief about Bugs

--> ! Please read the Early Access Disclaimer before buying !

If the beta's nerf to thrusters remains unchanged, once that hits the main branch, I suspect koonschi will be surprised by the amount of negative feedback it generates. Already, I've seen some backlash. An example:

Vlog #14: I'm Done With Avorion & Small Youtubers Inside!

16) Controller-Support?

- No, controls too complex already

:( Sad to hear. Would he at least consider limited controller support as a DLC?

- Alliances of multiple players with shared Ressource Pool and Productions, shared Control

of multiple players on a single ship (like one Pilot, one Gunner, one Squad-Commander)

I could understand one player as the pilot and another as the gunner. But squad-commander? How would that be fun? Would it mean leading a boarding action to take over an enemy ship?

19) Category for different ship classes?

- would prefer not to hardcode these, but to allow Alliances to define their own classes

I can understand wanting to let players use their own classification system. However, it would be handy to hardcode an indication of how many module slots a ship has and the highest-tier material. Perhaps something like an automatic suffix to a ship name, like "[Tr-6]" for Trinium, 6-slots? Moreover, it would be nice if such a suffix was applied to NPC ships, as well. Then we could estimate - at a glance - how much of a threat an NPC ship poses to us.

I could understand one player as the pilot and another as the gunner. But squad-commander? How would that be fun? Would it mean leading a boarding action to take over an enemy ship?

Squad commander of your fighter wings, he would order fighters to attack target, maybe even manually control them etc...

If the beta's nerf to thrusters remains unchanged, once that hits the main branch, I suspect koonschi will be surprised by the amount of negative feedback it generates. Already, I've seen some backlash. An example:

Vlog #14: I'm Done With Avorion & Small Youtubers Inside!

To be honest, Kane acted little bit like precious little snowflake in my opinion... :D No offense, but you can´t opt-in for beta-branch (in EA game!) and then say you are done with it after one no-ntested, non-stable experimental feature which wasn´t even finished and was just gathering feedback.

I do understand that he was bit burnt out of the game though, but that thruster change trashing was really uncalled for.

good one, very informative!

@Dad War das erste Interview dieser Art? Wirklich gut durchgeführt dafür, strukturiert und klar verständlich... tolle Arbeit! Wär bei der letzten Anekdote zur Entstehung des Buildmode fast geplatzt vor Lachen, besagter Freund verdient nen Orden!  ;D

Hallo Fox. Ja, war das erste Interview dieser Art für mich. War im Nachgang selbst erstaunt wie gut das geklappt hat. Aber koonschi ist auch ein toller Interviewpartner. Da ist mir das sehr leicht gefallen...  ::)

Und vielen Dank für Deine Übersetzung!! Dafür war ich dann doch irgendwie ein bisschen zu faul **smile**

• 2 weeks later...