Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

Simple Turret Improvements.

Amazigh

Suggestion

Had some ideas for how some of the issues with turrets could be solved, with solutions that feel like they'd be relatively simple to implement, and wouldn't require a ground-up remake of the turret system.

I'll address the three points I thought of:

1: Colouring

Make it so the light grey portions on turrets change colour with paint.

Sorts out issues people have with turrets not looking like they fit on their ships.

Might require changes to how textures on turrets are handled, but no major changes.

2: Duplication

Give turret factories a "blueprint" option, where you insert an existing turret and the factory will then allow you to build more of that turret, given an appropriate quantity of components and a credit fee.

Expansion of idea:

Factories can only build turrets of their material or below, maybe the same restriction on tech level as well? (maybe exotics and/or legendaries would not be able to be duplicated to make them feel more special?)

Credit fee should be notably greater than building the equivalent turret normally in a factory, making duplication a "luxury" feature.

Component costs might be difficult to figure out, but could just go with them being at (or over) the maximum required for that turrets rarity level, this further adds to the "luxury" feel. (factories aren't tooled to make these one-off turrets, so material waste is to be expected?)

This feels reasonably balanced to me, would just have to get the costs right to make using turret factories normally appealing.

3: Scale

At turret factories you can scale your turrets up or down, for a fee.

Damage and crew requirements would scale with turret size.

Possibly add more levels to turret size beyond the 0.3/0.5/1 that we currently have, higher sizes could just be scaled up versions of the 1 scale turrets to save devs from having to model more turret variants. (Suggesting additional turret sizes, as a common complaint I see is "turrets are too small" and this would allow you to have turrets that look right for some of the larger ships people make.)

The efficiency of scaling up turrets as far as crew cost/damage ratios is something to consider when you start going bigger than current maximum turret size, As such: Maybe make it so that a 0.3 scale turret only takes up 0.3 turret slots and so on for other sizes. Would likely require a change of how many turret slots you get per upgrade/etc. but could be interesting.

So, thoughts? feedback?

5 answers to this suggestion

Sorts out issues people have with turrets not looking like they fit on their ships.

Might require changes to how textures on turrets are handled, but no major changes.

This would be a nice quick fix.  Eventually, we need a way to "reskin" turrets changing both their design and color.  Especially when we get the ability to scale them up.

2: Duplication

Give turret factories a "blueprint" option, where you insert an existing turret and the factory will then allow you to build more of that turret, given an appropriate quantity of components and a credit fee.

Expansion of idea:

Factories can only build turrets of their material or below, maybe the same restriction on tech level as well? (maybe exotics and/or legendaries would not be able to be duplicated to make them feel more special?)

Credit fee should be notably greater than building the equivalent turret normally in a factory, making duplication a "luxury" feature.

Component costs might be difficult to figure out, but could just go with them being at (or over) the maximum required for that turrets rarity level, this further adds to the "luxury" feel. (factories aren't tooled to make these one-off turrets, so material waste is to be expected?)

This feels reasonably balanced to me, would just have to get the costs right to make using turret factories normally appealing.

It's been suggested before and I fully agree.

3: Scale

At turret factories you can scale your turrets up or down, for a fee.

Damage and crew requirements would scale with turret size.

Possibly add more levels to turret size beyond the 0.3/0.5/1 that we currently have, higher sizes could just be scaled up versions of the 1 scale turrets to save devs from having to model more turret variants. (Suggesting additional turret sizes, as a common complaint I see is "turrets are too small" and this would allow you to have turrets that look right for some of the larger ships people make.)

The efficiency of scaling up turrets as far as crew cost/damage ratios is something to consider when you start going bigger than current maximum turret size, As such: Maybe make it so that a 0.3 scale turret only takes up 0.3 turret slots and so on for other sizes. Would likely require a change of how many turret slots you get per upgrade/etc. but could be interesting.

Koonschi is working on some way to scale turrets.  The plan seems to be for scaled up turrets to have increased range, but otherwise remain the same.  This seems easier to balance to me.

Koonschi is working on some way to scale turrets.  The plan seems to be for scaled up turrets to have increased range, but otherwise remain the same.  This seems easier to balance to me.

Hadn't thought of it changing range, and that seems a whole load easier to balance.

Maybe if there's some minor downside to larger turrets, slower traverse? more crew? then that'd actually be really nice.

But longer ranges does bring up another issue i've found, it can be hard to target enemies unless you're right on top of them, especially with the skinny "stickships" that you sometimes get. Possibly a "zoom window" Ala mechwarrior could help with that?

Hadn't thought of it changing range, and that seems a whole load easier to balance.

Maybe if there's some minor downside to larger turrets, slower traverse? more crew? then that'd actually be really nice.

But longer ranges does bring up another issue i've found, it can be hard to target enemies unless you're right on top of them, especially with the skinny "stickships" that you sometimes get. Possibly a "zoom window" Ala mechwarrior could help with that?

More crew requirement might be a good way to deter people from just making the biggest guns possible all the time.  Which, could be a problem even all you out of it is more range.

As far as hitting ships at maximum range goes I have learned a trick.  Don't lock on to the target.  You have much better sense than the AI does when it comes to long range fighting.  You're better off dumb firing you cannons and rails until you pull into about 4 km of the target.

• Boxelware Team

The devs want to rework the whole turret system, maybe already with the alliances update. Turrets then will have customizable looks.

The scaling of turrets and building by blueprint are already planned :)