[r7565] Client Crash: Crash to Desktop When Mousing Over Player Menu Tabs

Guswut

I just submitted this via the Avorion bugtracker (https://www.avorion.net/bugtracker/report.php), but as I don't see any way to actually track it I'm also starting a thread in case anyone else has a similar issue. Most of this post will be copied from that report.

To note, this was reported on the beta branch patchnotes for 7565 by Vicodine, but no one else appeared to ever mention it again in that thread nor have I seen a bug report thread by Vicodine or anyone else reporting this issue.

~~~ Issue:

When the bug occurs, the Avorion application freezes for roughly one second while my leftmost secondary monitor flashes a white screen around ten or so times. After that second the Avorion application closes, and around fifteen seconds later the Avorion Server application closes as well. There is no dialog box of any kind at any point during/after this crash.

I have been able to reproduce this except for a few instances where it did not occur (none of which I could reproduce after testing further):

The first instance (in hindsight) was when I first re-installed Avorion earlier today. I was able to check my inventory, and then went on to play for twenty or so minutes before exiting the game. When I re-entered the game, I played for a few minutes before going into the player menu to check my inventory as I just picked up a drop when I experienced the first crash.

The second time it did not happen was after my testing to try and replicate the issue through a variety of situations and I had moved onto submitting this bug report. I decided a screenshot would be useful to confirm the exact specifics of the icons, but after I took the screenshot (using an application called Greenshot, specifically used to select a region of the screen) I then moved my cursor over the buttons and the game did not crash. I then closed Avorion and attempted to re-produce that result, but I was not able to get it to do the same thing.

The third time was shortly after the second when I noticed, in the screenshot I took, the in-game tip popup was visible. Wondering if it was somehow related, I tried closing the popup first and then mousing over the buttons. It did not crash, but after I closed Avorion and re-opened it I was not able to reproduce this method of avoiding the crash.

The fourth time I was in the process of exiting Avorion after checking what other items are on the interface in the player menu (specifically the button and checkbox to the right of the screen) when I pressed ESC, but then I decided to see if it would crash out after having opened the menu screen. It did not, so I left the galaxy (without quitting) and reopened the same galaxy. After the galaxy loaded, I pressed the ESC key again and then moused over the player menu top left tabs, but the same issue occurred. After reloading Avorion the first time I was able to reproduce this (first time in a galaxy the game would not crash after pressing the ESC key), but after I reloaded Avorion a second time I was not able to reproduce this.

I tested with the default settings (everything in my appdata Avorion folder was removed prior to all testing just to be sure).

I tested it in full screen (same issue) and windowed (same issue).

I've also tested against the release branch (0.10.2 r7448) which did not have this issue.

~~~ Reproduce:

1) Load Avorion. [Tested with desktop shortcut as well as directly through Steam interface.]

2) Click "Singleplayer" button. [Tested and confirmed issue also occurs when hosting a multiplayer game, as well.]

3) Select an existing galaxy and then click "Load". [Tested that creating a brand new galaxy at both insane and normal difficulty have the same issue.]

4) When prompted, press the space key to exit the loading screen.

5) Press "i" to open the player menu. [Tested and confirmed that holding shift to unlock the cursor and clicking on the player menu icon also causes the same issue.]

6) Move your mouse over any of the four tabs at the top left of the screen (encircled with a red rectangle in this image, at the top left: http://imgur.com/a/3vjCW). [Tested by moving my mouse over all four buttons first (same result) as well as over Pay Crew button (did not cause the crash) and the Auto Pay Crews checkbox (did not crash either).]

~~~ Logs:

Client log: http://pastebin.com/xs3UaAv1

Server log: http://pastebin.com/w79pzjz3

~~~ System Specifications:

CPU: Intel i7-3770 @ 3.40GHz

RAM: 16GB

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB DDR5 (latest drivers)