Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

Big vs Small ship balance

Weylin

^ this guy gets it.

a fleet cannot only field battleships. a player may strive to build and fly the largest thing, but as a faction it's a losing proposition, because battles are won by tonnage but wars are won by logistic.

the only minor thing I'd add to the analysis is that battleships are more area control and denial than battleship vs battleship slugging contest, but that's irrelevant in a game where you can jump across half galaxy with ease.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, thats right... Battleship usually serve as deterrent... easy to understand that, because if you are captain of any other class than BS, you simply cannot sail in the are where BS is parked - or anywhere near :D  That is also reason, why those big fleet and BS battles were so rare, there was only handful of them in all modern history

Yeah, thats right... Battleship usually serve as deterrent... easy to understand that, because if you are captain of any other class than BS, you simply cannot sail in the are where BS is parked - or anywhere near :D  That is also reason, why those big fleet and BS battles were so rare, there was only handful of them in all modern history
AKA Area-denial effect...

Commendable clarity and cogency, Tsunamik. I salute you. Everything is spot-on. :)

Man... it all reminds me of Descent: Freespace... good-old days...

Here's something people seem to have overlooked.  Little ships unlock system slots faster than big ships.  And more slots = more firepower.

Here's how many system slots ships get at what volumes.

2 - 51k m3

3 - 128k m3

4 - 320k m3

5 - 800k m3

6 - 2000k m3

7 – 5000k m3

8 - 12500k m3

9 - 19764k m3

10 - 31250k m3

11 - 43065k m3

12 - 59348k m3

13 - 78125k m3

14 - 107554k m3

15 - 148371k m3

For this example I'll compare three ship types, a 5000k m3 destroyer, a destroyer's worth of 800k m3 frigates, and a destroyer's worth of 128k m3 corvettes.

With one destroyer I get 7 slots.

5000k divided by 800k is 6.25 so I get 6 frigates.  6 frigates, 5 slots each, totals to 30 slots.

5000k divided by 128k is 39.0625 so I get 39 corvettes.  39 corvettes, 3 slots each is 117 slots.

Assuming all ships have to use at least 2 slots on something that isn't turrets I get this.

1 destroyer = 5 slots worth of turrets.

Fleet of frigates = 18 slots worth of turrets.

Fleet of corvettes = 39 slots worth of turrets.

Here's something people seem to have overlooked.  Little ships unlock system slots faster than big ships.  And more slots = more firepower.

2 - 51k m3

3 - 128k m3

4 - 320k m3

5 - 800k m3

6 - 2000k m3

7 – 5000k m3

8 - 12500k m3

9 - 19764k m3

10 - 31250k m3

11 - 43065k m3

12 - 59348k m3

13 - 78125k m3

14 - 107554k m3

15 - 148371k m3

For this example I'll compare three ship types, a 5000k m3 destroyer, a destroyer's worth of 800k m3 frigates, and a destroyer's worth of 128k m3 corvettes.

5000k divided by 800k is 6.25 so I get 6 frigates.  6 frigates, 5 slots each, totals to 30 slots.

5000k divided by 128k is 39.0625 so I get 39 corvettes.  39 corvettes, 3 slots each is 117 slots.

Assuming all ships have to use at least 2 slots on something that isn't turrets I get this.

The question is, how does that comparison fare when you add shield scaling into the mix.

Take away the Earth physics, and you get something quite different than most people would expect. The truth of the matter is that if you put enough maneuvering thrusters on a Ship the Size of the Sun and have the power supply and all the requirements to make it functional it can be made to maneuver like a ship the size of a human.

You do know that mass matters even in space when you accelerate, decelerate and manoeuvring right?  However the size have no effect what so ever.  So you analogue are flawed, adding more and more mass would come to a tipping point where the mass of the thruster it self would add more mass then it would manage to over come.  Specially if you are talking about sun size object that probably have their own gravity to overcome (Depending on it's mass).

One huge flaw I see is the placement of manoeuvring thrusters, not only can you make an unbalanced ship (not that important) but you can hide them behind armour.  If the thrusters where to be placed only on the outside of the ship they would be prime target and this would be much more hurting for larger ships.

Take away the Earth physics, and you get something quite different than most people would expect. The truth of the matter is that if you put enough maneuvering thrusters on a Ship the Size of the Sun and have the power supply and all the requirements to make it functional it can be made to maneuver like a ship the size of a human.

You do know that mass matters even in space when you accelerate, decelerate and manoeuvring right?  However the size have no effect what so ever.  So you analogue are flawed, adding more and more mass would come to a tipping point where the mass of the thruster it self would add more mass then it would manage to over come.  Specially if you are talking about sun size object that probably have their own gravity to overcome (Depending on it's mass).

One huge flaw I see is the placement of manoeuvring thrusters, not only can you make an unbalanced ship (not that important) but you can hide them behind armour.  If the thrusters where to be placed only on the outside of the ship they would be prime target and this would be much more hurting for larger ships.

Yes of course mass matters, and of course you could very easily reach a tipping point, I thought i addressed this but you must have missed it.  Without an opposing force to resist the addition of new thrusters and assuming that each new thruster had greater thrust than the mass of itself, the net gain would be additional thrust. Now would that be enough to propel something or even make a significant difference to something with a Sun sized mass. Not likely unless it was an equally oversized thruster. The point that your missing however is that players are playing with their build and tweaking the balance until they get their ships balance just right to make them as they want them. Real life engineers do this anyway, a point that some previous posters also tried to get across and were quickly dismissed by those who can't seem to think outside of the box.

As for an object being hindered by it's own gravitational well, Have you ever been held in place by your own gravity? All mass including your own body has gravity, and so does earth. The earth's gravity is far stronger than ours so why is it then that we can move, or let's reverse the scenario since it would fit the sun sized ship better. We have a sun sized ship with a gravity well and some other objects that have been attracted by that well, the ship then decides to move,  will the ship be held in place by the objects in it's own gravity?  I hope by now your seeing how silly this idea is.

I Agree with you on the Thrusters needing to be exposed on the outside of the ship, at least in terms of realism to a certain extent, since in reality hot burning thrusters would cause damage to any surrounding armor pieces that were close enough to come into contact with the jets stream.

This is of course assuming that the propulsion systems were anything like a jet engines. However The particle effects in the game suggest something similar to Ion Engines which NASA currently has working Satellites using already and has plans for more, >  http://www.space.com/22916-nasa-ion-thruster-world-record-test.html <<  This type of engine exerts Charged particles or Ions for propulsion so while it should not damage any hulls I could see this killing a person shielding and possibly even integrity fields as well, If they chose to allow the Exhaust from it to be covered by armor.

As for an object being hindered by it's own gravitational well, Have you ever been held in place by your own gravity? All mass including your own body has gravity, and so does earth. The earth's gravity is far stronger than ours so why is it then that we can move, or let's reverse the scenario since it would fit the sun sized ship better. We have a sun sized ship with a gravity well and some other objects that have been attracted by that well, the ship then decides to move,  will the ship be held in place by the objects in it's own gravity?  I hope by now your seeing how silly this idea is.

Yes we can easily move a small mass alongside the earth because we are not changing the state of the gravity it self. As soon we are trying to lift something out of earth gravity, even quite small mass we must waist quite large amount of energy to do so. To move an object that generates gravity, not only to overcome it's own state but also  what it affects ion it's surrounding, like planets.  We are after all talking about some ships large as small moons made with materials much more dense then a moon so therefore mood mas and gravity.

Also important to remoter that gravity increases with speed so some of this creations passing by earth in high speed would make huge tide waves on earth :D.  Luckily enough that don't happen in real life.

Something Crazy going on in my game right now... I claimed a sector for myself a few days back, thanks to a mod i was able to build an equipment dock which i put hanger bays on and bought fighters for it so it could defend itself and the sector... Welll today while im playing i get a message informing me it has been destroyed ! now im watching the fighters i bought that still show up as being owned by me go on a rampage within my own system, and they still show up green to me :( which makes them really hard to target, whats more they are damn near impossible to hit which sounds about right so, i'd say the ship size(s) thing is pretty well balanced already... im going to lose all my stations, battleships, mines, etc... to my own berzerker drones. Anyone have something similar happen?

It literally has 1 hp, but i can't even nick it with a stray bullet....

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=870133041

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=870133058

One thing I've learned in playing the game is that size is great, but it isn't the only factor in combat.  Largely, the most defining factor of a weapon comes down to its damage, and effective range.  Accuracy also plays a part, but we'll get to that in a minute.  The farther away you can hit a target without him hitting you, the better.  Combine this with speed and ability to stay out of range of his weapons, and you'll slowly pick away at him until you overcome him, or he gets tired of trying and leaves.

Right now, large ships can almost zip around as effectively as smaller ships, thanks to the way size scaling works.  But they are still limited by other factors, like not being able to sit within or fly through an asteroid field to break a pursuit, or whatever else.  As was mentioned earlier, large ships, slot for slot, have less firepower than a group of smaller vessels totaling their combined hull, material, and shield value.  As powerful as that battleship might be, and imposing, his weapons can only fire on so many targets at once, and with so much accuracy, and when you can out-range his weapons, or outfly their tracking capabilities, you can concentrate fire and break him down piece by piece.

Size is a favorable stat in the game right now, true, but there are ways to combat large ships as well.  Even one outfitted with railguns can only be firing at so many enemies at a time, and when seeker missiles can be boosted to track in at high speed and long range, there isn't a lot that big ship will be able to do to stop you, since, at the end of the day, he's a much bigger target, and you, probably, have superior numbers. 

In the end, one type of ship isn't necessarily better than another depending on circumstances.  1v1, expect a small ship to probably lose to a battleship, unless he can avoid being shot and stay in blind spots.  But in ideal circumstances, a small ship should never be forced to 1v1 a battleship either, and, ideally, should bring a group of friends.

Admittedly, I have yet to play this game PvP, but based on what I know of the system so far, and a little bit of logic, I can see these points being things to keep in mind when considering how bigger ships scale into combating other ships.

Yeah, eve sacrified lot of sensible things for game balance... understandable for game, but it then gives these stupid ideas to many players.

Stupid ideas? Yet real-world navy ships have roles; real-world air force aircraft have roles; ships in Homeworld and Homeworld 2 had roles; ships in FreeSpace 2, widely considered to be the best combat space sim ever released commercially, had roles; I could easily go on.

You're all entitled to your opinions, but it's objective fact that bigger = better is one-dimensional. If that were true, the US Navy would only have aircraft carriers and nothing else. Instead, they continue to also field several classes of submarines, frigates, corvettes, cruisers, two types of amphibious assault vessels, support vessels, and various cargo, supply, and miscellaneous vessels. In the past, there were many other active-duty roles that have since been retired, most notably battleships.

I guess this is one way to look at it...

You have an entire faction to defend, 12 sectors in total, each one with valuable assets and nearly defenseless stations.

Two neighboring factions and scattered renegade forces are set on taking or destroying what is yours, and supply lines are being disrupted at several locations at once.

What fleet composition will you go with? Your resources are limited.

4 Battleships that are a solid check mate at every encounter? or...

1 Battleship for heading off major advances, 6 station defence destroyers, 12 frigates for patrolling the trade routes, and 24 corvettes for miscellaneous missions?

Yeah, eve sacrified lot of sensible things for game balance... understandable for game, but it then gives these stupid ideas to many players.

Stupid ideas? Yet real-world navy ships have roles; real-world air force aircraft have roles; ships in Homeworld and Homeworld 2 had roles; ships in FreeSpace 2, widely considered to be the best combat space sim ever released commercially, had roles; I could easily go on.

You're all entitled to your opinions, but it's objective fact that bigger = better is one-dimensional. If that were true, the US Navy would only have aircraft carriers and nothing else. Instead, they continue to also field several classes of submarines, frigates, corvettes, cruisers, two types of amphibious assault vessels, support vessels, and various cargo, supply, and miscellaneous vessels. In the past, there were many other active-duty roles that have since been retired, most notably battleships.

Sure, you need roles - thats more than half of my post, so what are you trying to say? Oo  Also two vastly different mediums (water and air) in which modern military craft propels are so different, that it broke almost all rules (as aircraft are so much faster that carriers pushed all bigger ship designs to history books).. but there is nothing like water and air in space - there is space. Thats it. Same rules for everybody.

And amhibious assault, support, cargo vessels etc are really not part of this discussion are they? We were discussing straight combat units - and in this case bigger ship at the same task, will almost always destroy smaller ship at same technological level.  Thats what started this discussion, so please stay on topic.

And yes, thinking that small bombers will destroy big battleships because "they are small+fast and big guns on battleship can´t track them fast enough" is stupid idea in real world, which is in those games only for gameplay purposes, as adding small weapons to big ship in tandem with main weapons is "warship construction 101" - just try to imagine tanks without machine guns, or ww2 yamato with its 9 main guns and no secondaries (when in reality it had like DOZENS of them+aa guns)...

And yes, thinking that small bombers will destroy big battleships because "they are small+fast and big guns on battleship can´t track them fast enough" is stupid idea in real world, which is in those games only for gameplay purposes, as adding small weapons to big ship in tandem with main weapons is "warship construction 101" - just try to imagine tanks without machine guns, or ww2 yamato with its 9 main guns and no secondaries (when in reality it had like DOZENS of them+aa guns)...

The Yamato was sunk by bombs from small aircraft and torpedoes (that can be launched by small ships). All it's anti aircraft and point defence weapons were overwhelmed by the numbers of targets. Independently targeting many guns most efficiently is not easy. However, as you said, there is no phase shift in space like air and water.

A way to add the phase shift back is to add stealth, so that smaller ships can load up huge bomb/torpedo type things, stealth into range , fire and run away. The (obviously fictional) stealth mechanic would be such that the power required increases exponentially based on ship volume.

Then you could have stealth breaking sensors that require exponential power for range so they are best used on multiple small craft to cover larger areas.

If bigger is always better, then without severe resource restrictions, it makes combat dull, time consuming or to be avoided, as the limitation on the biggest ships (availability) doesn't exist with virtually infinite resources.

I am not really talking about this game in particular...

I agree that some gamification ideas are needed to create some unique challenges or designs - and stealth mechanisms are planned according to dev (I am sooo gonna build d´Deridex... :D)

About Yamato - well thats what I am talking about basically, it was overwhelmed by something much faster, thats why bigger=better mechanism didn´t work. If it could outrun those planes, they would stand no fcking chance in the world in the long run - and thats what would happen in space most likely.

And getting overwhelmed by numbers also isn´t part of our original discussion. It was talk about 1v1 fights and  design of ships in game - somebody was complaining that smaller ship can´t compete vs bigger ships - and we stated that this actually makes sense and there is no reason to change it.

Bigger ship vs lot of smaller one is different aspect altogether, and not something I was talking about.

We have been talking about one giant ship versus a fleet though.  And while the fleet will be losing ships and thus firepower over time I think I've proven that the fleet would start the fight with a lot more fire power on their side.

Another thing I'd like to point out is that everybody's go to for making small ships better is to make them faster.  But, would this work?  Think about this.  No matter how fast you make a ship can it dodge an electron bombardment or light?  Because in this game we can totally shoot lightning and beams of deadly light at each other.

I agree that some gamification ideas are needed to create some unique challenges or designs - and stealth mechanisms are planned according to dev (I am sooo gonna build d´Deridex... :D)

oh, hopefully nothing like full-cloak-"all invinsible", i'd prefer to see some kind of Jamming Equipment or such...

Maybe which makes you not to pop up on other player's HUDs until in  Range X (could give smaller, more nimble Ships a way to Hit & Run, but me not very expierienced in PvP, just a thought...) and makes enemy NPC's ignore you until in Range X OR firing a weapon (..."at them" to exclude mining/salvage?).

This could be a chance to give modules like Sensor Booster (just as an example, i barely see it on screenshots) a little love, like if it would give you +90% Radar Range you can detect a "Radar Jamming" Enemy at Range X+90%...

oh, hopefully nothing like full-cloak-"all invinsible", i'd prefer to see some kind of Jamming Equipment or such...

Maybe which makes you not to pop up on other player's HUDs until in  Range X (could give smaller, more nimble Ships a way to Hit & Run, but me not very expierienced in PvP, just a thought...) and makes enemy NPC's ignore you until in Range X OR firing a weapon (..."at them" to exclude mining/salvage?).

This could be a chance to give modules like Sensor Booster (just as an example, i barely see it on screenshots) a little love, like if it would give you +90% Radar Range you can detect a "Radar Jamming" Enemy at Range X+90%...

Please stay on topic.  We aren't here to talk about cloaking mechanics.

oh, wasnt intent to start discussing about Cloaking in particular, but of approaches Small Ships could use against Big Ships, like mentioned Role Warfare or Swarm Tactics... like you said speed alone wont help small ones to survive, i thought Targeting could help here? Sry for derailing tho  :-X, back2topic

oh, wasnt intent to start discussing about Cloaking in particular, but of approaches Small Ships could use against Big Ships, like mentioned Role Warfare or Swarm Tactics... like you said speed alone wont help small ones to survive, i thought Targeting could help here? Sry for derailing tho  :-X, back2topic

Actually, you bring up a good point here.  Making it so that it's easier to cloak smaller ships makes a certain amount of sense and can give player controlled small ships an edge they need.

Small ships have the ability to hyperspace very quickly and easily, think tactically and you realize this becomes an Incredible advantage in combat... seriously everything has to be spelled out for people these days.... Warp out after unleashing your bombardment, heal up, warp back in and line up for another pass. Do it in waves with all your buddies to keep up the heat and that big ship literally doesn't stand a chance. The only think it might be able to do is warp itself away, since players don't get hyperspace jammers other than the quest related one... at least at this point in the game...

Yeah, only thing he can do (as 1 player vs many uuuuh, that must be horrible) is to probably kill few people in that  attack run of yours and then warp away so you can´t find him afterwards... and heal himself, replenish shield etc... 

Sooo you probably lost few small player ships, while your bigger opponents have to replenish a shield. what a loss. Seriously mate...

2 - 51k m3

3 - 128k m3

4 - 320k m3

5 - 800k m3

6 - 2000k m3

7 – 5000k m3

8 - 12500k m3

9 - 19764k m3

10 - 31250k m3

11 - 43065k m3

12 - 59348k m3

13 - 78125k m3

14 - 107554k m3

15 - 148371k m3

The question is, how does that comparison fare when you add shield scaling into the mix.

I'm going to model a simple battle scenario.

I'll have my example destroyer fight my example frigate fleet.  To keep things simple all the ships have for defense is Hp and each turret has 1 DPS.  First we need to know the exact turret count of each ship.  Assuming all ships' TCSes are legendary +6 armed slots we get a destroyer with 32 DPS, 2 base + 30 (5 slots times 6 turrets) and each frigate has 20 DPS, 2 base + 18 (3 slots times 6 turrets).

Hp and shields scale linearly with volume so if the frigates are just smaller copies of the destroyer they all have 1/6th the Hp.  To keep things simple let's say the destroyer has 600 Hp.

DD = 30 DPS

FR = 120 DPS (6 times 20)

Turn 0

DD: 600 – FR1: 100, FR2: 100, FR3: 100, FR4: 100, FR5: 100, FR6: 100

Turn 1

DD: 480 – FR1: 70, FR2: 100, FR3: 100, FR4: 100, FR5: 100, FR6: 100

Turn 2

DD: 360 – FR1: 40, FR2: 100, FR3: 100, FR4: 100, FR5: 100, FR6: 100

Turn 3

DD: 240 – FR1: 10, FR2: 100, FR3: 100, FR4: 100, FR5: 100, FR6: 100

Turn 4

DD: 120 – FR1: X, FR2: 100, FR3: 100, FR4: 100, FR5: 100, FR6: 100

DD = 30 DPS

FR = 100 DPS (5 times 20)

Turn 5

DD: 20 – FR1: X, FR2: 70, FR3: 100, FR4: 100, FR5: 100, FR6: 100

Turn 6

DD: X – FR1: X, FR2: 40, FR3: 100, FR4: 100, FR5: 100, FR6: 100

Frigates win with the loss of one frigate.

Now this is unrealistic since it's quite likely the frigates are going to have worse equipment.  So let's say that the destroyer's turrets each do 1.5 DPS and the frigates only have +4 armed turrets.  The frigates now each have 14 DPS, 2 base + 12 (3 slots times 4 turrets).

DD = 45 DPS

FR = 84 DPS (6 times 14)

Turn 0

Turn 1

DD: 516 – FR1: 55, FR2: 100, FR3: 100, FR4: 100, FR5: 100, FR6: 100

Turn 2

DD: 432 – FR1: 10, FR2: 100, FR3: 100, FR4: 100, FR5: 100, FR6: 100

Turn 3

DD: 348 – FR1: X, FR2: 100, FR3: 100, FR4: 100, FR5: 100, FR6: 100

DD = 45 DPS

FR = 70 DPS (5 times 14)

Turn 4

DD: 362 – FR1: X, FR2: 55, FR3: 100, FR4: 100, FR5: 100, FR6: 100

Turn 5

DD: 292 – FR1: X, FR2: 10, FR3: 100, FR4: 100, FR5: 100, FR6: 100

Turn 6

DD: 222 – Fr1: X, FR2: X, FR3: 100, FR4: 100, FR5: 100, FR6: 100

DD = 45 DPS

FR = 56 DPS (4 times 14)

Turn 7

DD: 166 – FR1: X, FR2: X, FR3: 55, FR4: 100, FR5: 100, FR6: 100

Turn 8

DD: 110 – FR1: X, FR2: X, FR3: X, FR4: 100, FR5: 100, FR6: 100

DD = 45 DPS

FR =  42 DPS (3 times 14)

Turn 9

DD: 68 – FR1: X, FR2: X, FR3: X, FR4: 55, FR5: 100, FR6: 100

Turn 10

DD: 26 – FR1: X, FR2: X, FR3: X, FR4: 10, FR5: 100, FR6: 100

Turn 11

DD: X – Fr1: X, FR2: X, FR3: X, FR4: X, FR5: 100, FR6: 100

Frigates win with the loss of four frigates.

Now you may have noticed the destroyer so far has wasted some DPS killing frigates with 10 Hp with it's full firepower.  Let give the destroyer and even 50 DPS so it can two shot firgates.

DD = 45 DPS

FR = 84 DPS (6 times 14)

Turn 0

Turn 1

DD: 516 – FR1: 50, FR2: 100, FR3: 100, FR4: 100, FR5: 100, FR6: 100

Turn 2

DD: 432 – FR1: X, FR2: 100, FR3: 100, FR4: 100, FR5: 100, FR6: 100

DD = 45 DPS

FR = 70 DPS (5 times 14)

Turn 3

DD: 362 – FR1: X, FR2: 50, FR3: 100, FR4: 100, FR5: 100, FR6: 100