Avorion is a majestic accomplishment

Blaine

I've been playing spaceship games of all different kinds since I received Wing Commander as a Christmas gift in 1990. I had just turned 8 at the time. I especially love explore/trade/upgrade/fight spaceship games, which I discovered with Wing Commander: Privateer. I went on to play many others, including Frontier: Elite II, Escape Velocity: Nova (highly recommended), EGOSOFT's X series, EVE Online, Starsector, and most recently, Avorion. I'm sure many of you have played some or all of these.

Avorion is very similar to the X series (and clearly draws inspiration from it) but with better camera implementation, better controls, better (although quite different in style) ship physics, a superior UI, much better hardware performance, and most strikingly a powerful custom ship builder, with a little dash of EVE Online spices thrown in.

Avorion is quite probably the best and most enjoyable explore/upgrade/trade/fight spaceship game I've ever played. Most of the janky features of the X series are implemented much more smoothly in Avorion, and Avorion is still fairly early in public beta. The game's a bit rough around the edges currently, but extremely playable and full of sandbox stuff to do.

Therefore I'd like to thank the development team for this amazing game. I'm not exactly an ebullient person, but I really felt I had to say something here. I've been playing for 90 hours so far, and it's still fun and exciting.

[...]a superior UI[...]

Hmmm, UI could use some work, but I'll stick that on top of the "rough around the edges" comment you made. Happy to see fellow "older" gamers around. Also very happy to see such a game. I agree with you on so many levels. This game has some of the best features of other awesome games in the space genre and it's still an early access game.

Two thumbs up from me as well.

I have to agree.  Avorion feels like a game I've been waiting for for a long time, and I've played most of the games the OP mentioned, though I'd have to say Freelancer has the strongest vibe for me, with X3 influences coming in second.

I'm coming up on 120 hours played now, and as fun as the game is in its current state, what really blows my mind is when I imagine what it'll look like next year, or 2 years from now.  Fully functioning AI economy?  Player empires and systems changing hands in faction warfare?  Multi-station factory complexes?  And it feels like that's just barely scratching the surface.  After seeing the kinds of things modders can add to games in the FTB-sphere, entire new systems of gameplay and tech trees and layers upon layers of more STUFF to do... the potential for modding in this environment that Avorion provides is mind-bogglingly cool. 

I can't wait to see where this is all going, because this is gonna be good.

it's amazing but quite unpolished. starmade is far ahead technically and in terms of features but it's missing a major theme to drive the player... empyrion gets the story part well but has littlecomtemt and zero replayability..

there are literally dozens at this point  that did it  but  many of the clones are built without a person that understand the "game" part of "gameplay" it seems - which is what made minecraft a smash hit.

it's amazing but quite unpolished. starmade is far ahead technically and in terms of features but it's missing a major theme to drive the player... empyrion gets the story part well but has littlecomtemt and zero replayability..

there are literally dozens at this point  that did it  but  many of the clones are built without a person that understand the "game" part of "gameplay" it seems - which is what made minecraft a smash hit.

Thats my main problem with most of the building games... Space enginners, starmade, interstellar rift are all great for building stuff - but after that, there is nothing to do with your ships and creations (atleast nothing really meaningful). You can build more and faster, but that cannot drive me for very long :/  They simply feel like overblown editors + test scenarios than proper games.

Thats one thing, that really makes Avorion special, as it is basically real feature full space sim, comparable with X3 (after all those features start working properly though! :D)