Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

Best weapon type?

Erik9631

If I want to achieve a a lot of omicrons (at least 50K or higher) what is the best weapon?

I have been using lasers so far, but crafting can get the lasers only up to 450 damage per second.

I have been experimenting with the lighting gun and damage per shot can get up to 5000.

Are there any other alternatives? What is the best weapon?

Individual weapons vary highly by their stats, so there's no a certainty is that question. Tesla Turrets has the highest potential DPS metric, but they also has very short range on average. On the other side of the spectrum, Lightning Guns has the greatest raw Omicron output, but they're extremely inaccurate, while Railguns has lower damage output and power-hungry, but they pretty accurate, instant-hit and penetrate trough blocks they destroy, with exception for armor, so their effective damage output is actually the best.

Railguns don't use energy, as far as I've seen; they overheat, and the ones with high firing rate overheat very quickly indeed (5.83 seconds of holding down LMB, in the case of my turrets).

Railguns do a ton of alpha-strike damage (though certainly not the highest DPS in the game, due to overheating), are very accurate, are perhaps the longest-range weapon type (though some other types with above-average range can reach further than railguns with below-average range), and railguns don't use energy which is good if your ship design is tight on that.

Railguns are ideal for hit-and-run tactics. You can keep your distance from the enemy, they deal all their damage quickly until they overheat (alpha strike), and then you can boost away while they cool down, reposition your ship, and let your shields regen. I'm a big fan of railguns.

If I want to achieve a a lot of omicrons (at least 50K or higher) what is the best weapon?

Railguns and Rockets are your best chance to archieve high omicron.

I have been using lasers so far, but crafting can get the lasers only up to 450 damage per second.

If you really want to have calculated DPS: http://www.avorion.net/forum/index.php/topic,1635.0.html

To become the strongest in your universe, you have to be patient.

Fly around and search for every turret factory you can find (and even discover new factions and grind them up).

Write down the the coordinates of the factories, and notice the DPS/Bonuses/Range and things, everything thats valueable.

Like this:

_256e7089e1fd8584cc7ff3f7961d0c52-png.jpg

Then you'll find the strongest weapon ever. In my case its a xanion laser with 13500 dps (this is only showing lasers/Rail because mate asked for these).

Another note about railguns: Because they are limited by overheating, you can take your time to aim carefully without "losing" any overall DPS, as long as they have heat while doing so. You'll have to wait anyway when they fully overheat.

That's weird... not only because Railguns should not overheat (unless we're talking about some shitty engineering and worst conductors in the Galaxy), nor because they should be energy hungry (Railguns and Gauss Cannons work on pure capacity of electric energy discharged instantaneously), but because I remember running our of energy while using them. Probably missed some another weapon. Even if not energy hungry on shot, they should drain energy during reloading...

Ugh... there's so much balancing required...

That's weird... not only because Railguns should not overheat (unless we're talking about some shitty engineering and worst conductors in the Galaxy), nor because they should be energy hungry (Railguns and Gauss Cannons work on pure capacity of electric energy discharged instantaneously), but because I remember running our of energy while using them. Probably missed some another weapon. Even if not energy hungry on shot, they should drain energy during reloading...

Ugh... there's so much balancing required...

If they drained energy in addition to overheating, I might not use them.

In any case, you're wrong about overheating. Railguns (or at least current railgun technology) heat up substantially due to the tremendous electrical, repulsive, and kinetic forces involved. Those forces do have an effect on portions of a railgun system other than just the projectile, especially the rails themselves. Passing electric current through almost any material will cause it to heat up, for example, which is how we got lightbulbs.

In any case, you're wrong about overheating. Railguns (or at least current railgun technology) heat up substantially due to the tremendous electrical, repulsive, and kinetic forces involved. Those forces do have an effect on portions of a railgun system other than just the projectile, especially the rails themselves. Passing electric current through almost any material will cause it to heat up, for example, which is how we got lightbulbs.
Yes, but lightbulbs originally were designed to use Tungsten - the metal with highest melting point of all elements and pretty substantial electric resistance. Heating is produced as a waste-product of that electrical resistance. Use of Superconductors almost completely negate waste heat generation, and these are not hard to produce when interstellar travel and automated industry is mundane. In fact, it think that basic Conductors are redundant commodity - superconductors and semiconductors together cover up the majority of electric applications.

Also, it might be suggested, that the power usage build up in some weapons is caused by steadily increasing spending on active heatsink systems. Space-age railguns would barely suffer any overheating problems, especially if compared to Chainguns, Bolters, Cannons, Lasers and Missiles, all of which produce enormous amount of waste heat intrinsically. If these weapons can have design variants, that can produce continuous firing, then Railguns can do that far, far better. Problems that Railguns can have are energy consumption per shot, passive energy drain, reloading time and single-shot recoil force. Overheating is definitely not the one Railguns should be limited by, unless its a specific Burst-Fire design.

If there's a weapon, that should have prescribed Overhating issues, its Plasma.

I have been experimenting with the lighting gun and damage per shot can get up to 5000.

Are there any other alternatives? What is the best weapon?

I've seen lasers do as much as 5k per second so don't give up yet. Other than that cannons and railguns have the highest omicron when you find broken ones but they also overheat faster than a kitty in heat thrown in a volcano.

The highest omicron weapon I've manage to find are my 27K railguns... But I still roll with my 3500 lasers because they are more reliable and constant.

Cannons crafted at turret factories with big damage boosts were a good way to go but I had issues with some of the initial volleys not registering as damage when they hit, probably because the damage is super high and the game has trouble calculating it. After getting sick of that, I ended up finding another turret factory that offers a big damage boost for rocket turrets and I made a bunch with seeker missiles. The AI don't move very fast and they don't try to out-maneuver any incoming rockets so every single one will definitely hit. The overheat threshold for high fire rate rocket turrets is a big plus too. You can send massive volleys at ships before overheating. I really did feel like they were more effective than cannons but in a PVP situation rockets aren't the way to go. Railguns and lasers are more ideal for that.