Docking, Contraband, Communications, etc.

MiniMe943

Suggestion

Avorion is an incredibly immersive game and it has potential out the a**.

So here's a handful of ideas/suggestions that I'd like to throw at anybody and everybody that reads this.

1. Docking

Now don't get me wrong, docking in Avorion works just fine, it's a system that functions and does what it needs to, but here's how I think it could be improved.

I think 'Elite: Dangerous' is probably the best example for what docking could/should be like. So taking Elite's docking model and applying it to Avorion, maybe docking would function like this?

1. Request Docking Clearance - Before you can latch onto a station, you must first ask for permission to dock, otherwise you won't have a specific docking bay to dock with. (Recieve a fine?)

i. Once you've gained clearance, you have X minutes to land. (Ability to cancel landing request?/A fine if you don't land in time?)

Leaving the Station...

2. Request Permission to Detach Station(?) (Fined if you don't?)

i. Small time limit to clear yourself of the docking port. (Fined if you don't?)

This is more or less how 'Elite: Dangerous' handles docking and the only reason I'm making comparisons with a different game is because I feel Elite's model adds more to the game in terms of realism without hindering gameplay or making things overly difficult/not fun.

On the topic of docking... Maybe when you do dock with the station, the two will connect in some way?

Also, at the time of writing this, I haven't moved on from the default drone craft so I'm writing this with that ship in mind, I don't know how this would apply to larger corvettes, frigates, capital ships etc.

2. Docking Relations

If you're being a massive DB in say, a sector or to a particular faction... They might not want to let you dock with them... They may refuse your docking requests with certain/all stations.

Well crap, what now? The options that come to my mind right away are:

A. Wait it out. Wait for relations to improve before trying to dock again.

B. Buy your way in. Effectively becoming neutral with the station/faction.

C. Complete tasks/actions that will increase relations.

P.S. I know the game already has a relations system in place, these were just my thoughts that came along with docking.

3. Contraband

Oh yes, that's right, what's a space game without some interstellar smuggling!?

Of course you've got your typical illegal cargoes: Narcotics, drugs, munitions... maybe if you're feeling risky, human cargo(or ailen). ;)

But hell! Maybe some systems prohibit the importing of certain plants/animals/food/drinks.

Just look at some of the restrictions the U.S. BPC has on things being brought into the U.S... Maybe there's a Prohibitive station/planet? No alcohol shipments there...

But it doesn't end there... What if when docking, you get chosen for a 'random' inspection...

What'll you do then?

Bribe the Inspections Officer?

Hope he doesn't find the stash?

Who knows...

4. Communications

This section is just to clarify that all the interactions (i.e.  Docking requests, relations, inspections) would take place via menus... Possibly in a 'Communication's Section'?

That's all I got for the moment... Just my thoughts on possible improvements to an already very promising game. I'd love to know what you think on the matter, and hey, if you read all of this post, kudos to you. Thanks for reading and leaving any feedback.

4 answers to this suggestion

1- the docking idea looks good. also, the dock places on the stations are just place holders, with nothing there, just the regular blocks, it would be nice if docking places would be some kind of specific structure too.

2- about relations, I think there should be a way to increase relations, even when you are arch enemies. costly ways, so you would still have to think twice when doing down in relations with someone, but, nevertheless, possible to improve them.

3- that is already in the list for things to add ;)

• Boxelware Team

Docking:

While this adds realism and atmosphere to the game, it also adds complexity. I like the idea but I'll have to think about this.

The docks' visuals are planned to be improved ;)

Relations:

Improving relations once they're really bad is not possible yet, but that's going to be added as well.

Stations already refuse docking requests if they don't like you enough.

Contraband:

Oh yes, that's right, what's a space game without some interstellar smuggling!?

Absolutely, you can expect something here as well in the future.

Communications:

I'm planning to rework the communications with other ships and stations to give more options and communication with nearly everything that can answer.