Fix your netcode.

AvorionCraft

Suggestion

My client was still playin catchup ten minutes after the server had been shut down by the admin. I was dealing with 180,000 ping.
This is atrocious.

Why does my client have to run through every packet recieved? Why is it not simply talking to the server and saying "hey, whats your time stamp?" and the server saying "Eyyyyy, here's my time stamp" and then my client saying "eyyyyy that's like 8 minutes ahead of me, maybe I'll just dump 8 minutes worth of packets and get with the program. Eyyyyyy."

Add more Pacino.

6 answers to this suggestion

The server in question he is on is a linux box with 32 cores and 128 gb ram with a gig network connection. This issue at hand is how the server/client handles lost to late packets. There needs to be some for of update for our latency challenged friends. Even if is skews the math in favor of our non latency challenged friends

Edited by andromeda_05

Not entirely sure if it's a Steam Deck bug or maybe an odd connection issue when I play on Steam Deck, but even in Single Player, which is single-player server (still online, which why????), you can still lag heavily on a single-player playthrough. All last night, I was mining, and a TON of times the little bar that depletes when mining was lagged by at least a second or more. Also, when going through warpgates, sometimes it would take more than 10+ seconds to even go through; also to this: as well as manually using your warp-drive to travel. Sometimes it could take more than 10+ seconds (even seen more than a minute) just to be able to finally "jump".

I get that this game was most likely built as multi-player and such, but still, many players such as myself play singleplayer. And to LAG on singleplayer? WTF. Come on.

I understand singleplayer starts a single-player server start. But seriously, there shouldn't "need" to be any connection whatsoever to the Steam or your servers if playing singleplayer.