Turret Creation per cost rather than RNGesus

AvorionCraft

Suggestion

Turrets cost a great deal to produce.

Logistically, the player has to collect the parts, to which there are numerous, numerous parts.

Steel tubes
Ammo S,M,L
Copper
Energy Cells
Servos
Rockets
High Pressure Tubes
Fuel
Targeting Cards
Steel
Wires
Laser Compressors
Laser Modulators
Laser Heads
Crystals
High Capacity Lenses
Conductors
Warheads
Explosive Charges
Aluminum
Gold
Force Generators
Industrial Tesla Coils
Military Tesla Coils
Power Units
Energy Tubes
Energy Containers
Plasma Cells
Lead
Nanobots
Gauss Rail
Electromagnetic Charges
Electromagnets
Probably missed  few

The investment required to produce turrets to start with is immense.
But then the player gets to deal with Jesus. RN Jesus.

What about another tac'd on option for turret factories?

One that is more expensive, more part intensive (more expensive still), but allows for purely player created turrets?
Build in size requirements that tie into what mods, number of mods, etc that the weapon has, and weight each mod differently related to size. All mods are based off of base size, not post mod size. All increments are base shown, but would be adjustable in 1,5,10,25 (etc)% chunks (with either an option or hotkey like single click 1, ctrlclick 5, ctrl shift click 10, right click 25, ctrl right click 50, ctrl shift right click 100)
For instance, range.
Range +25%, size +15%
Range +50%, size +50%
Range +100%, size +75%
Range +150%, size +100%

If your base turret is slot size 1, and its a chaingun with base range of 4 km, with range +150%, it is defaulted to slot size 2 with a range of 10km.

Take the same gun

Damage +25%, size +25%
Damage +50%, size +50%
Damage +100%, size +100%
Damage +150%, size +200%

If the base turret is size 1 (same chaingun) but you elected to go for a +150% damage, that means your default size is 3, which means it won't work....because chainguns are capped at slot 3 size. So you have a hard limit. Drop the damage down to 100%-size 100%, so you have now a slot 3 chaingun with 150% range and 100% damage. I'm guessing that there's already some of this built into the game, but its all RNG. The best ranged chaingun I recall having was 9.7km with stupid 5800 dps on 3 slots. 

But wait! there's more!

What if you want plasma, antimatter, electric, ionized, etc as options? Those could be based off of either cost, or % of slot size, bearing in mind that the hard caps are the limit of the gun slot size itself. 
If they're on cost, double the cost of the turret.
If they have a set % of slot space tied to them, then its a simple trade off. Cut 25% range and 25% damage, add 95% ionized. Booya!

Naturally, there would be those that would find that sweet spot, or some that would absolute cheese it, but lets be honest---people do already. But that's their "reward" for RNG'ing across so many sectors with their turret factories and just getting lucky.

If I could figure out a way to get a Mortar to
a) fire 2-4 rounds/sec
b) not overheat 
c) 15km range (shrunk down from the 30-50 that is possible)
d) seeking warhead
e) lower damage as a tradeoff

I'd do it. Basically turns a mortar into an oversized slower firing chaingun. ThumpThumpThumpThump/sec For some, highest damage isn't the all encompassing endgame. Its effectiveness and coverage. 

There are modders that are out there doing something similar, but there's no true tie-in with the economy. Its insta-create-a-gun mode.

The most expensive turret I have built was 530million/each for a low rate high damage 72km range seeker T52 6Slot. I saw that once, pre-turret balance, but wow+ it was nuts. 97kdps on one turret.

Ability for the game to play to people's preferences would increase playability and decrease turret frustration too.

I'm more partial to bolters. Some are more partial to seekers. Others to mortars. But the ability build a low-range faster firing mortar, or a high range, slower firing chaingun, or a 5km range stupid-rapid-fire bolter, or a more intense laser, or even converting a gun you have the blueprint for from regular to a coaxial, or coaxial to regular, all would be truly awesome to have as options.

Edited by AvorionCraft

0 answers to this suggestion

There have been no answers to this suggestion yet