Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

"We detected a crash during game startup"

Postie

Have been playing since 2017. For the past couple of months I now get this error when trying to start the game;

"We detected a crash during game startup

Pleas make sure that you are using the latest drivers for your graphics card. This problem can also be caused by mods. In an attempt to fix this problem, the graphics settings have been reduced to an absolute minimum and your mods have been disabled"

I've already made sure my graphics drivers are up to date, and have fully uninstalled and reinstalled Avorion and deleted everything from the AppData Roaming folder, yet the issue persists.

Any other troubleshooting I can do to resolve this?

clientlog 2022-11-26 14-42-29.txt

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not on Windows, nor do I use Intel, so there's little I can help with.

Interestingly, the logs (mine, that is, which continue on after "Creating settings... loading... setting language...") only show information about GPU and graphics driver *after* (successfully) creating a graphics context, whereas one would assume that the driver needs to be found and initialized before...

From what little I know about Intel, you're using a processor with integrated graphics; integrated GPUs, especially Intel's, aren't exactly renowned for being the most powerful. Maybe something changed in your OS's configuration that it now prefers the integrated GPU over a discrete one you might also have? That seems to be a common issue, primarily with laptops, but also desktop systems as well.

Good luck, in the hopes of pointing you in a helpful direction.

1 hour ago, Valck said:

I'm not on Windows, nor do I use Intel, so there's little I can help with.

Interestingly, the logs (mine, that is, which continue on after "Creating settings... loading... setting language...") only show information about GPU and graphics driver *after* (successfully) creating a graphics context, whereas one would assume that the driver needs to be found and initialized before...

From what little I know about Intel, you're using a processor with integrated graphics; integrated GPUs, especially Intel's, aren't exactly renowned for being the most powerful. Maybe something changed in your OS's configuration that it now prefers the integrated GPU over a discrete one you might also have? That seems to be a common issue, primarily with laptops, but also desktop systems as well.

Good luck, in the hopes of pointing you in a helpful direction.

Thanks for the response.

Thing is until one of the most recent updates, it was running fine on the integrated Intel GPU... Other games and programs I have run based off the dedicated graphics card, but I've never been able to get Avorion to run off of it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Doubt u'll get much help... especially after months of silence things look pretty much dead around here.

IMO and from my experience as I had a similar error on another game it most likely has something to do with the drivers especially of the video card , I fixed mine by moving back to an older driver on which the game used to work just fine.

Sorry that's all I've got...

• 1 month later...

Having the same issue here. Happened after I got a new PC. I have 166 hours, now I can't even open the game.
image.png.3e2baa9ec98995e8e0827b8fd10754c1.png

Tried everything, even a DDU and a fresh install of drivers. Nothing. Considering refunding.

• 3 weeks later...

Open Start -> Run (or press Windows-Key and R simultaneously). Type in

%appdata%

and press Enter or click "OK". This should open an Windows Explorer window for the "AppData\Roaming" folder within your user folder, which is normally hidden. Navigate to Avorion.

Is there a File called ".startupCrashDetection"? If so, try to delete it and then try to start Avorion again.

Does it start now or does it crash again?

Evening TheMgt,

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately still no joy. Delete that file in the roaming data folder, try launching the game, it tries opening a window, closes/crashes a second later, and the .startupCrashDetection is recreated in the roaming data folder.

I've updated my graphics drivers numerous times since I first started getting this error last year, so I can't see how that's the issue. Kind of becoming infuriating that none of the game devs seem to be paying attention to the troubleshooting forum. Given I've been able to play Avorion on this PC for at least 2-3 years on this PC with no issue, I can only attribute it to something in the latest patch for the game has made it unplayable for players like myself and Pandize (and presumably plenty more), and they seem to be willfully ignorant of the issue.

15 hours ago, TheMgt said:

Open Start -> Run (or press Windows-Key and R simultaneously). Type in

%appdata%

and press Enter or click "OK". This should open an Windows Explorer window for the "AppData\Roaming" folder within your user folder, which is normally hidden. Navigate to Avorion.

Is there a File called ".startupCrashDetection"? If so, try to delete it and then try to start Avorion again.

Does it start now or does it crash again?

2 minutes ago, Postie said:

Evening TheMgt,

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately still no joy. Delete that file in the roaming data folder, try launching the game, it tries opening a window, closes/crashes a second later, and the .startupCrashDetection is recreated in the roaming data folder.

I've updated my graphics drivers numerous times since I first started getting this error last year, so I can't see how that's the issue. Kind of becoming infuriating that none of the game devs seem to be paying attention to the troubleshooting forum. Given I've been able to play Avorion on this PC for at least 2-3 years on this PC with no issue, I can only attribute it to something in the latest patch for the game has made it unplayable for players like myself and Pandize (and presumably plenty more), and they seem to be willfully ignorant of the issue.

Don't suppose you  have any other suggestions or insight on what might be causing this problem?

You could look if the clientlog is different when starting the game with the ".startupCrashDetetion" file initially being deleted.

Another thing you can try is to backup that folder (%appdata%\Avorion) and then try if editing or even deleting client.ini and settings.ini allows you to start the game (always delete ".startupCrashDetection" first). If it starts, maybe compare the new .ini files with the ones from your backup.

Edited by TheMgt
missing words

On 6/30/2023 at 8:05 AM, TheMgt said:

You could look if the clientlog is different when starting the game with the ".startupCrashDetetion" file initially being deleted.

Another thing you can try is to backup that folder (%appdata%\Avorion) and then try if editing or even deleting client.ini and settings.ini allows you to start the game (always delete ".startupCrashDetection" first). If it starts, maybe compare the new .ini files with the ones from your backup.

Unfortunately still no joy, backed up the folder, deleted everything, still the same problem. Tries launching, crashes, and the crash detection file is created again.

clientlog 2023-06-30 20-57-35.txt

Edited by Postie
Attaching clientlog file

It looks like the game somehow only sees a generic Microsoft GPU driver. What dedicated graphics card do you have in your computer?

Are you using the internal GPU from your Intel Processor on purpose for some things? If not, make sure your monitor is (or your montiors are) really connected to your dedicated GPU and not the Motherboard and try again - maybe even disable the internal GPU (iGPU) in BIOS. Or post screenshots of your Windows Display Settings and the Windows Device Manager.

• 1 month later...
On 7/2/2023 at 2:22 AM, TheMgt said:

It looks like the game somehow only sees a generic Microsoft GPU driver. What dedicated graphics card do you have in your computer?

Are you using the internal GPU from your Intel Processor on purpose for some things? If not, make sure your monitor is (or your montiors are) really connected to your dedicated GPU and not the Motherboard and try again - maybe even disable the internal GPU (iGPU) in BIOS. Or post screenshots of your Windows Display Settings and the Windows Device Manager.

My PC has a Radeon RX 580 graphics card. That said I've never been able to get Avorion to recognise it and run off it, it always ran off of the built in Intel GPU. Was never an issue until late last year, worked properly on an old laptop with no dedicated GPU, and on my current PC.

Looking through the crash log, the only thing that seems out of place is OpenGL, but I can't see how that's a problem as all drivers for both GPUs have been updated numerous times, yet the game still crashes on launch.

18 hours ago, leti said:

Hello!
sorry for the late reply!
It seems that the game is not using the correct graphics card. Here are instructions on how to fix this:

Good afternoon Leti,

Thanks for the response, unfortunately this hasn't resolved the issue. Firstly, I think the FAQ needs to be updated for AMD users using the Adrenaline system, as there's no way to switch between the internal and the dedicated graphics card with the current version of AMD Adrenaline. I've managed to assign Avorion to use the dedicated GPU via an alternate method, but still experience the same crash at launch. Attached is the most recent crash log.

clientlog 2023-08-08 13-11-22.txt

Edited by Postie
Updated

Display 0: x: 0, y: 0, w: 1920, h: 1080
Display 1: x: -1920, y: -196, w: 1920, h: 1080

It looks like one of your screens is a little off and this could be the cause of the problems. A simple indication that this is the cause is that you can unplug the second screen and try again. Please let me know if this worked so I can isolate the problem further.

On 8/14/2023 at 11:49 PM, leti said:
Display 0: x: 0, y: 0, w: 1920, h: 1080
Display 1: x: -1920, y: -196, w: 1920, h: 1080

It looks like one of your screens is a little off and this could be the cause of the problems. A simple indication that this is the cause is that you can unplug the second screen and try again. Please let me know if this worked so I can isolate the problem further.

Good evening Leti,

Tried tinkering with the monitors per your suggestions. Still had the same crash error occur with whichever one was plugged in, and both times the crash log said whichever monitor was plugged in at the time was "x: 0, y:0. w: 0"

For lack of any further ideas, I tried running the game off of the built in Intel GPU again, and the game now seems to be loading properly, with the cautionary alert that it's using the Intel GPU, rather than the Radeon GPU. If I try switching back to the Radeon GPU, it crashes again.

Not sure what you can make of that, given all drivers are up-to-date.