Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

my ideas

gn_leugim

Suggestion

My suggestions to this awesome game (addicted atm  :o)

Map filter/search option: Given the chance of becoming a trading guru in game, like I did (eheh), it would be awesome to have a ingame tool to tell us in which sector we can find a given good/station. I have to track all manually with an excel file and sometimes gets tiresome. specially when you have visited dozens of sectors.

Building mode more informative: there is already a lot of info in the building mode, but there is one missing, info about a given (selected) block: what type, material, ect. it could help a lot. also, in the bar bellow, is it possible to change from iron to other materials? I find myself countless times placing iron blocks instead of other materials.

Issue more orders to other ships: Specially the "go to X sector" order. it is kinda hard to move a fleet of ships atm.

Collisions with asteroids/other ships could damage our ship. because I think it looks realistic and could create a new kind of combat ship, a "rammer "XD

also, If a ship goes from sector A to B once, why has it to calculate that travel everytime it does that travel?

If I recall something else, I'll say. and Grzt and ty! awesome job!

19 answers to this suggestion

To answer some of your questions:

You can easily look onto your map (press M  ;) ) and hover over a sector to see what is in there.

Then, you can actually see (I think just where you are placing your block) what kind of material it is by looking at the color of "Crew Quarters".

But it would be cool to see that if you could see that after placing the block.

Also I agree with goto. It is really getting on your nerves if you want to move something somewhere else and you may have to defend your base as an example.

But there may be some issues (not programming-issues): It could make PVP battles boring because you just send multiple ships into the combat sector while

you stay at your base making more ships.

And to the collisions: I suggested that too, but you can find that a bit harder at my post  :)

Your question A - B: I think it is for balancing because it would be kinda unfair if your ship is heavily damaged in PVP and you can just fly away into an unknown sector (for ur

enemy) and he can't destroy you, what would be completely fair at this point, even if it doesn't sound like that.

Hope I didn't disappoint you that I wasn't koonshi who first answered your post  ;D

EDIT: Forgot to say that you can open a menu (that + icon in the bar) where you see the other materials and your turrets.

• Boxelware Team

Some of the questions have already been answered, here comes the rest.

Map filter/search option: Given the chance of becoming a trading guru in game, like I did (eheh), it would be awesome to have a ingame tool to tell us in which sector we can find a given good/station. I have to track all manually with an excel file and sometimes gets tiresome. specially when you have visited dozens of sectors.

Might find its way into the game at some point, but right now it's on purpose that you have to keep track of this yourself. Trading (if done right) is extremely powerful, and should require the appropriate skill to max out.

Building mode more informative: there is already a lot of info in the building mode, but there is one missing, info about a given (selected) block: what type, material, ect. it could help a lot.

I'm not sure if I got this one right. Do you want to see the stats like type and material of a selected block (via middle mouse button)? If yes, a workaround might be to copy and paste the block with Ctrl C and Ctrl V, you'll see the stats in the preview then.

also, in the bar bellow, is it possible to change from iron to other materials? I find myself countless times placing iron blocks instead of other materials

Click on the plus on the right side of the lower bar to open the inventory, you can then either select blocks directly from there or drag and drop them into the lower bar.

Issue more orders to other ships: Specially the "go to X sector" order. it is kinda hard to move a fleet of ships atm.

This is planned, along with AI mining, docking and auto piloting.

Collisions with asteroids/other ships could damage our ship.

This is planned as well.

also, If a ship goes from sector A to B once, why has it to calculate that travel everytime it does that travel?

That's because the Nav-Computer is stupid ;)

A lot of things are planned for the future, I just haven't found time yet to implement them.

I'm not sure if I got this one right. Do you want to see the stats like type and material of a selected block (via middle mouse button)? If yes, a workaround might be to copy and paste the block with Ctrl C and Ctrl V, you'll see the stats in the preview then.

sure, but when you want to check like 10 or 20 blocks may be time consuming eheh

Click on the plus on the right side of the lower bar to open the inventory, you can then either select blocks directly from there or drag and drop them into the lower bar.

so there is already a way to assign blocks to the shortcut bar, neat :)

I think it is for balancing because it would be kinda unfair if your ship is heavily damaged in PVP and you can just fly away into an unknown sector (for ur

enemy) and he can't destroy you, what would be completely fair at this point, even if it doesn't sound like that.

you can always ask to calculate a jump point at the beginning of battle and if things turn bad jump. that way is faster actually than, in the middle of the battle, select a sector and jump to it without calculating.

That's because the Nav-Computer is stupid

Lolz, but I (we) loose so much time to that stupidity :p

Might find its way into the game at some point, but right now it's on purpose that you have to keep track of this yourself. Trading (if done right) is extremely powerful, and should require the appropriate skill to max out.

If nothing else, just a filter to search for a given station, or notes we had written. I  know I can hover a sector to get info, but when you have +50 sectors to search, it's not play/game friendly. I guess I have to update my excel technique or write a small utility program to aid me lol

• Boxelware Team
sure, but when you want to check like 10 or 20 blocks may be time consuming eheh

Understandable. Noted this.

You'll be able to speed it up in the future.

If nothing else, just a filter to search for a given station, or notes we had written.

I'll see what I can do about this, but it's at a rather low priority.

you can always ask to calculate a jump point at the beginning of battle and if things turn bad jump. that way is faster actually than, in the middle of the battle, select a sector and jump to it without calculating.

Yes, I know that too. I'm doing that always when I go into an enemy sector. But it would be unfair if you forgot that and you could still instant-flee.

Understandable. Noted this.

You'll be able to speed it up in the future.

If nothing else, just a filter to search for a given station, or notes we had written.

I'll see what I can do about this, but it's at a rather low priority.

thanks for taking the time to look at this. I understand that you have so much in hands and not everything may get into game, nevertheless, thanks :)

Yes, I know that too. I'm doing that always when I go into an enemy sector. But it would be unfair if you forgot that and you could still instant-flee.

It is never instant-flee. you have to go the map mode, select a sector, and face it and only then you would jump. it takes some time ;)

Hello again!

I am back with two ideas.

First, this was something that my ship's crew said like this: "why can't we use thrusters to move the ship forward too?"

It is logical and realistic. Of course they wouldn't be as efficient  as engine blocks but could give a help anyway.

Secondly: cockpit blocks, that would allow us to set the point of view from our ship or, even  better, to pilot in a fist person way :P A way to change it, just like in the building mode, where we cans elect a clock and focus on it, would be nice, sometimes ships have some shapes that would be nice to look behind them from other angle for example.  8)

Also, is there any possibility to the way ships are built being changed, in a way we can link blocks together, not in a "tree system"? like if we have a square made of 8 blocks, they can all be linked and the square wont fall apart if one block is destroyed.

• Boxelware Team

Hey there!

First, this was something that my ship's crew said like this: "why can't we use thrusters to move the ship forward too?"

It is logical and realistic. Of course they wouldn't be as efficient  as engine blocks but could give a help anyway.

I've implemented a boosting system where this shouldn't be necessary. I'd prefer not to do it, as thrusters are already rather complex. They steer your ship in the direction it's facing to reduce drift, they turn your ship, etc.

And with the boosting system you won't need this, trust me :)

Secondly: cockpit blocks, that would allow us to set the point of view from our ship or, even  better, to pilot in a fist person way :P A way to change it, just like in the building mode, where we cans elect a clock and focus on it, would be nice, sometimes ships have some shapes that would be nice to look behind them from other angle for example.  8)

Cockpit or bridge blocks are planned, including a way to swap between them.

Also, is there any possibility to the way ships are built being changed, in a way we can link blocks together, not in a "tree system"? like if we have a square made of 8 blocks, they can all be linked and the square wont fall apart if one block is destroyed.

I've implemented this in the current dev-version because it was bothering me as well.

nice to know!  :D

there is other thing I came up with, also related to ship building, would it be possible to, once selected, change a block type/material without removing it? otherwise it can be frustating if one wants to upgrade a ship's part and has to demolish something else on the ship. I think it would be a nice addition if possible :)

btw, looking forward to see the new update :)

ready for a new drop of suggestions?:

- On ship building the possibility to change on block on the ship without deleting it (or other blocks attached to it), wither the type or material of it.

- When ordering a ship from a shipyard, being able to set the volume or mass by typing it, and not just by the sliders.

- Standardization of weapons characteristics. Right now the weapons (as far as I can tell) are totally random, and they can have any number as to define any of their characteristics, such as attack speed or damage. This means that the amount of possible weapons is just gargantuos. it would be better if these were random but limited to multiples, like 0.1, 0.2, 0.3 and so on. That way it would be possible to have lots of weapons but more standardized, reducing the number of weapon slots :)

- super weapons(?). weapons very big, with lot of energy consumption, crew and space, that could be fired very little often over large distances and/or with large damage.

- more control over our (other) ships, such as setting them to auto-harvest, search trade, attack specific enemy(s), etc.

These are the things I can remember so far :P

and a small question, how big is a sector?

• Boxelware Team

Big amounts of weapons is intentional. What you actually want is a better way to organize them and categorize them, which is what's going to come.

Super-weapons are planned, once I figure out how to do them right.

Better control over your ship(s) is also going to come.

Sectors are basically infinite, limited only by floating point accuracy.

we would still have a large amount of weapons, if we take the chain guns for instance, we have several variables, such as damage, reload time, life time of bullet and speed of bullet (which combined make range), and, if we just consider these 4 items, and if each item would have a range of 20 possible values, we would be talking of 160k combinations possible, a huge number, and the numbers wouldn't look so random. make it 10 values possible and its 10k weapons possible, just for a single material. still huge!!

Other thing, I am planing to take on all the sectors of a given faction and eradicate it. As for ver 7.1, what will happen? the sector turns into no man's land or remains as "given faction" area? This rises two ideas, one is to be able to create territory for ourselves, our sectors that could be recognised as such in the map and also, the idea of being hired by factions for jobs, such as attack enemy sectors to help them claim new sectors, and, ofc, this would mean that factions wars were a reality, which is also nice! In this topic, I good addition would be to be possible to check the diplomatic relations of a faction towards the other factions/players.

Keeping on the AI side, making the AI respond to the player, such as sending armed ships to a sector where he is attacking stations or un-armed ships and even attack sectors controlled by the player. these could be controlled by a hidden measurement as "anger towards player" or something like it, where the bigger it is, the more actions it takes to take down on the player.

Also, an option to assign a sector as a new home sector would be very nice.

I hope I am not overdoing in suggestions, but I just keep on having new ideas as I play :p

• Boxelware Team

The home sector is where the player is placed when he 'dies'. This placing back at the start is intended as a form of punishment for dying. If the player can change his home sector to an arbitrary sector, this punishment is removed, which would make survival in the galaxy less important.

There is also another related problem: I don't want players to basically be able to fly everywhere, for example deep in enemy territory. Just avoid sectors with a green blip? This seems kinda weird. I want travelling to the center to be hard. So if you get caught, you should be put in your place if you're not strong enough.

You might say "but we lose our ships, isn't that punishment enough?". While this is true now, it won't necessarily be true with upcoming versions. You will be able to buy insurance for your ships, drastically lowering the costs for losing a ship. If you've got insurance it basically gives you back all the money you invested into the ship. There is some more to it, you have to buy the insurance first, of course, but that's basically it. Plus you can save your ships, so rebuilding your ship takes just one click.

So if you have little to no punishment for losing a battle, the battle is not going to be very interesting, don't you think?

Edit: It could be done though by making changing the home sector expensive. I'll give it some more thought.

BUMPing this, to add some more suggestions ideas:

1. Being able to change one's ship name, after it has been created.

1.1 and as we are on the topic, being able to change template's names

2 Speaking of templates, a better control of how and when templates ares saved would be nice. the possibility to order them, name them, and only to save them when we want (disable the "autosave" when exiting building more) would be some nice additions

3. these days I was cheating and I noticed that when the the typing line was too big, I stopped seeing what I was writing (it was out of the text box), though I was still writing, so maybe an arrangement to the chat box would be a good idea too.

aaaannnnd I still feel that the weapons properties are too random XD (which brings the last posts we exchanged).

but... 4. once we have a weapon template, we could, at a metal/credit cost, produce more of it. now, gray/white weapons would be reasonably cheap, but, golden weapons. for example, should be very expensive (as much as a moderate ship e.g).

4.1. yet on the subject, an alternative would be the possibility to research weapon systems. if the weapons were more systematic on their properties, we could make like research tiers on different branches (such as range, dmg, rate of fire etc) to learn new components to build new weapons. e.g: at the biggining only low tech would be leart, so we could build low tier guns, such as those with low rate of fire, low dmg, and short firing distance. then we could research on range and expand that item and be able to build new turrets with longer range, but the rest the same as before. and so on.

5. I said this on other thread, but I repeat: a key for the "select closest wreck" would be great.

6. a way to ease wreck salvage, specily when dealing with (very)small items. a kind of "tractor beam" that could gather wrecks together or something. or the miner laser itself, could be easier t target and hit.

7. "lock on" weapon, that is, a way to click once on the mouse and the weapon/mining laser stays on without been forced to push the button. save or mouses and fingers :p

8. faster way to transfer crew and cargo between ships. one item per click on the transfer screen is a bad way to go.

best regards,

GnL