[Steam Guide] Space Ship Classification

ThunderLuck9889

• 3 weeks later...

the definition you posted saying "more buff and heavier battleship" is the badly written action movie definition.

dreadnaughts are a sub(ie less than) battleship class, with a single calliber of main armament.

they are obsolete because armoured cruisers and pocket battleships where both superior concepts, and did the same job better than a dreadnought could.

tl;dr, the best thing about dreadnoughts is their name. all they really are is a proof of concept/testbed/prototype for battleships

actually, you could classify dreadnaughts, if you like, as a ship that has a primary, or spinal-mount, weapon.

I wouldn't really call it a size class, though... more like a design philosophy. You could certainly take advantage of the design idea, though, with setting up centerline non-tracking turrets... especially with something that has a low tracking speed and high burst, like a cannon.

a dreadnaught would likely have more burst firepower than a battleship, but would actually be a bit smaller and a lot more maneuverable, in order to take advantage of the lack of tracking and burst capabilities of it's centerline weapons. So in a way, it's size is more likely to be smaller than a battleship.

I personally find the dreadnaught playstyle... a set of centerline cannons for potshotting and stripping shields, and a bunch of 'external' automated chainguns for picking off fighters and stragglers, to be an extremely coherent and enjoyable playstyle.

the definition you posted saying "more buff and heavier battleship" is the badly written action movie definition.

dreadnaughts are a sub(ie less than) battleship class, with a single calliber of main armament.

they are obsolete because armoured cruisers and pocket battleships where both superior concepts, and did the same job better than a dreadnought could.

I wrote that in order to make the concept more easily understandable. I didn't write the guide to make people sit down and think "what the hell does that mean?" The game itself doesn't follow the concept of heavy primary armament. It's just a big ship in-game, so I chose to follow the concept the devs written in. If they choose to change it, I will change it as well. As far as it being a subclass of battleship, that is clearly stated.

Not totally futile, but the ship classes are already pretty fairly clear based on the number of Upgrade slots they contain.

Thus, a size 15 ship is obviously just a wee bit bigger than a size 7 (the biggest that can go through a gate)

attempting to artificially institute a naming convention like this is pretty... hrm... futile in my opinion.

This isnt an attempt to pull the game to your own whim. It's a guide to help others get a basis on how ships are already classified and how to translate that into the game, thus giving the player an easier time naming their own ships based on their own choices. It's stated multiple times, the guide is merely to help those without an idea as to how to name their own ships.