damaging thrusters mode

cy414

Suggestion

or maybe, engineer mode?

in this more, the standard thruster blocks would be replaced by a single directional thruster block. and the exhaust from both these and engines would cause damage to everything they touch except armour.

furthermore, to produce thrust they would need to be exposed to space instead of being enclosed.

with this mode selection, it would allow players the choice between just design how a ship looks outside, and being able to design more practical layouts.

9 answers to this suggestion

or maybe, engineer mode?

in this more, the standard thruster blocks would be replaced by a single directional thruster block. and the exhaust from both these and engines would cause damage to everything they touch except armour.

furthermore, to produce thrust they would need to be exposed to space instead of being enclosed.

with this mode selection, it would allow players the choice between just design how a ship looks outside, and being able to design more practical layouts.

Nope.  I like being able to cover thrusters with glow blocks so they look different.  Also replica ships require you to keep the thrusters covered to look accurate.  This change would complicate things and anger a large part of the community.

Nope.  I like being able to cover thrusters with glow blocks so they look different.  Also replica ships require you to keep the thrusters covered to look accurate.  This change would complicate things and anger a large part of the community.

congratulations for not bothering to read.

i suggested it AS A MODE. to give players THE OPTION of it.

At this point in time, any work that is done on the game will be a universal application. Functionality, Balance, Replay-ability, and Story.

HOWEVER, since this game is so open to Mods... you MAY find a Modder that would be willing to invest time into a project like this... You just need to get them excited about the number of users this would interest.

That makes even less sense.  It's not too hard to tell if a thruster has a clear line of sight to the outside of the ships.  As such this mode would be extra work for a pointless feature.

in other words, you dont want it, so nobody will.

At this point in time, any work that is done on the game will be a universal application. Functionality, Balance, Replay-ability, and Story.

HOWEVER, since this game is so open to Mods... you MAY find a Modder that would be willing to invest time into a project like this... You just need to get them excited about the number of users this would interest.

this would very much come under replay-ability though. an extra element to challenge players ship designing skills.

but i get your point about mods though.

this would very much come under replay-ability though. an extra element to challenge players ship designing skills.

but i get your point about mods though.

Only for a very few... I, for one, SUCK at ship design. I'd put myself in the bottom 30%. Replaying the game around Design will simply not be in ANY future for me... New technology, new story lines, Improved IA, Harder skill settings...

While I can completely appreciate your enthusiasm, this particular concept is... challenged.

I read somewhere that focused directional thrusters is already in the works.  Adding the intentional damaging aspect to it, effectively weaponizing it, is impractical. If the only reason for the damage was to force people to put them on the outside... well, you will get incredible push-back from people that do enjoy design, because they like making stuff that is functional and beautiful... (MMMmmm Alligator)...

There are so many little things that can be focused on that will continually improve the game, keep thinking, keep offering feedback and suggestions... but once you toss something out there... pay attention to the conversations that happen (or not)... if you suggest something that people like, the momentum will carry it to the ears of the Devs... if you get resistance... Stop and think about how many people would actually see this as a benefit/use it, if that number is less than 75%, it's probably not gonna happen... let it go and move on...

I've been involved in betas all the way back to WoW... I see the passion in the ideas, but people get burned out fighting a lost cause that they chase with religious fever... don't be that guy. ;)

I've been involved in betas all the way back to WoW... I see the passion in the ideas, but people get burned out fighting a lost cause that they chase with religious fever... don't be that guy. ;)

waayy to casual and impulsive for that.

il keep the idea under my hat & see about getting a mod that can do this once these directional thrusters you speak of are added.

Damaging, no. Bad fix I think, even for challenge. Null thrust if it is covered, now I think that could work, though I will agree this could be mod territory.

One thing I'd like to see in the stock game though is hiding thruster/engine trails/effects in directions where the block is covered, if only for aesthetics. Having armor glow or particle effects go through armor just looks weird.