Server overload through chat functionality

Linkfish

Hi guys,

We've had one player connecting to our server ( UK - The Holy Checksum ) , literally blackmailing the server. The player connected and demanded a lot of resources. If we did not comply, he would purposely crash the server, and he succeeded doing this by spamming the chat with the following example text:

Eurythmics - Sweet DreamsEurythmics - Sweet DreamsEurythmics - Sweet DreamsEurythmics - Sweet DreamsEurythmics - Sweet DreamsEurythmics - Sweet DreamsEurythmics - Sweet DreamsEurythmics - Sweet DreamsEurythmics - Sweet DreamsEurythmics - Sweet DreamsEurythmics - Sweet DreamsEurythmics - Sweet DreamsEurythmics - Sweet DreamsEurythmics - Sweet DreamsEurythmics - Sweet DreamsEurythmics - Sweet DreamsEurythmics - Sweet DreamsEurythmics - Sweet DreamsEurythmics - Sweet DreamsEurythmics - Sweet DreamsEurythmics - Sweet DreamsEurythmics - Sweet DreamsEurythmics - Sweet DreamsEurythmics - Sweet DreamsEurythmics - Sweet DreamsEurythmics - Sweet DreamsEurythmics - Sweet DreamsEurythmics - Sweet DreamsEurythmics - Sweet Dreams

It wasn't this text - he spammed the Avorion forum URL.

The player is now banned and was using the following steam64ID's :

Direct link to this guy's steam page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198279679854

Please copy / move this to the correct forum where we deal with general player complaints.

Thank you, and I highly recommend banning this player on every Avorion server there is.

Hi Koonschi,

Not sure how to get those logs. I checked my server back-end but the server doesn't output anything like a full log I'm afraid. Apart from some chat logs... it's windows, so console ouput is a bit limited on this one :-(

I can try to reproduce it sometime when the server isn't busy. Please elaborate on how I can fetch logs when I reproduce it?

Thanks

• Boxelware Team

The logs are in the same folder as your galaxy. They're called serverlog [DATE].txt. If the server crashed, there will be evidence on how it happened, even if it doesn't look like anything to you.

There will be a way to get a player IP, but only through /playerinfo, which is currently only available on the beta branch (IP functionality is not yet in).

You can ban by ip with /banip, which will print the ip to the banlist.

Apparently this only works with non-steam networking, which is bad. I'm on this.

This guy keeps trying, this time with a new steam ID:

Make sure to add to the ban list. #

Username: Sylar

Not even remotely the same guy or steam account.

you need to do more looking into shit before accusing others that aren't even part of it.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/172663821535114115/89153BD00023A7C06EBC5799F574CB0879BEC071/

The guy crashing the servers.

--------------

and the 2nd SteamID you listed is mine

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/172663821535118270/A529AB4B353C9114E7AE88E1126FF0F07ECD4639/

and i haven't done anything to any server my home current is smaaaaash! avorion // fresh wipe 02/05 / ny / no rules //pve/pvp been playing there for days.

i connected to the server to see if he was doing the same shit that he was to the one i was playing on because hes doing the same crap to us after i told him to stfu about pretending to ddoss servers and bragging about crashing some EU server.

Someone just came by on our server as well, his steamID is 76561198367024529.

Willing to provide server logs but it just comes down to that there is no limit of maximum characters which stalls the server trying to handle the request of sending a huge text.