addition/change: UAV Drones

GrimJahk

Suggestion

I just read this and it reminded me of my biggest issue around fighters... pilots... (more specifically losing them)

UAVs are the solution... have a block (like above link) than manufactures combat drones that are flown by Pilots that never leave your ship. They consume resources, cost an overhead to payroll, and your pilots gain experience over time...

You can have space (Drone Bay) dedicated to Drones of different varieties, Combat, Mining, and Salvaging, Combat requires Pilots, Mining drones require Miners, Salvage drones require either engineers or mechanics. Your Hanger determines how many drones you can have active at any one time, Your Drone Bay volume determines how many you have available (and how fast they are reproduced when lost)

11 answers to this suggestion

Yeah this sounds pretty amazing to me.

Perhaps the radio module that allows a fighter to be a drone should be some more lategame material?  Having it be fairly expensive resource with it's own block might start forcing drones to take up more space then the fighter versions. 

Just to keep piloted fighters a viable option since it would be easier to deploy manned versions on mass at the cost of risking the pilots.

It seems a little unnecessarily complicated to have remote controlled fighters require so many different types of crew.  I think it would be better just to have them all controlled by pilots.  Also, if the fighters are remotely controlled your pilots could rank up to be able to control multiple fighters.  There are examples of people being able to control whole wings of fighters via remote control in Sci-Fi.  Like for instance Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda.

It seems a little unnecessarily complicated to have remote controlled fighters require so many different types of crew.  I think it would be better just to have them all controlled by pilots.  Also, if the fighters are remotely controlled your pilots could rank up to be able to control multiple fighters.  There are examples of people being able to control whole wings of fighters via remote control in Sci-Fi.  Like for instance Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda.

I'm all for any variant of this that makes sense in game.. but I would give experienced operators bonuses to their job as opposed to controlling more.. if you only have 10 drones and have 10 operators that know them inside out... they would be more efficient in operating the drones... better damage or yield makes sense, not having a pilot sitting on his bunk because his buddy can now run his drone.

for larger ships, could we get fighter minifactories?

these would be sub-blocks we buy like turrets, have their own size, and have to be placed inside a hanger block. and would replace/build fighters and other drones lost in battle at a set rate.

these would produce drones based on the type of minifactory purchased.

fighters, interceptors, gunships, salvagers, miners, transports, boarding/drop pods.

the balance to these being, they would be more expensive than station bought verities(like in space repair vs station repair), but provide the convenience of not having to go find a station with stocks of fighters. possibly having higher tier fighters require components from cargo.

for larger ships, could we get fighter minifactories?

these would be sub-blocks we buy like turrets, have their own size, and have to be placed inside a hanger block. and would replace/build fighters and other drones lost in battle at a set rate.

these would produce drones based on the type of minifactory purchased.

fighters, interceptors, gunships, salvagers, miners, transports, boarding/drop pods.

the balance to these being, they would be more expensive than station bought verities(like in space repair vs station repair), but provide the convenience of not having to go find a station with stocks of fighters. possibly having higher tier fighters require components from cargo.

Okay, for one.  Suggesting six things in a single is day is excessive.  It eats up a lot of room on the front page.  Try pacing yourself in the future.

And two.  This has already been suggested.  It's even still on the front page as of this post.  Please try and do a little research to make sure you aren't wasting topics by repeating things.

<snip>  This has already been suggested.  It's even still on the front page as of this post.  Please try and do a little research to make sure you aren't wasting topics by repeating things.

Please link this other thread and I'll be happy to join it... Apparently I missed it...

<snip>  This has already been suggested.  It's even still on the front page as of this post.  Please try and do a little research to make sure you aren't wasting topics by repeating things.

Please link this other thread and I'll be happy to join it... Apparently I missed it...

Your topic is the one I was talking about already existing.  A mod combined the two topics.  I've edited my post to make it more clear who I was talking too.

Would this maybe a way to replace this passiv Auto repair function. With small drone bay and a operator room. With that you could also switch the repair laiser out. You need to get near enjoy a other ship that you drones can repair them. Could cost some resources but only 1/10 or something like this. Even block replacing should be possible that the repair all button saves you not all the time.