Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

Construction Ship Part

osakadows

Suggestion

This is just a quick idea i got during my play as a drone ship, perhaps it sticks.

The idea is for a new ship block that effectively builds drones(or fighters).

It would slowly consume resources and would probably have a large energy upkeep.

But for the costs it would slowly generate fighters.  Heck there could even be a drone designer like we build our ships.  This way you could produce them in the field to refill the ranks during long battles.

And seeing the massive scale you can build ships at a factory on board would not be unusual.

Tho i do imagine construction modules requiring to be build pretty big(and expensive) to even start functioning.

And to get any sort of fast construction going would require you to build massive blocks of these modules.

My only worry for this is balance since it consumes resources while active and makes the fighter buying option less useful, still it might be a neat optional addition.

Thoughts anyone?

17 answers to this suggestion

• Boxelware Team

The devs are thinking about changing the way fighters are at the moment, as they are very weak in general and then die very easily on top of that. The thought of having dead fighters slowly regenerate has crossed our minds. Someone even suggested a high tier module, that would generate fighters of a specific type as long as equipped. What would you think of that?

I think some kind of system is needed.  After all battleships don't run out of ammo, but a carrier will quickly lose most of it's fighters.  Also, replacing the fighters themselves is just part of this.  If there isn't some way to keep your pilots alive you'll just run out of them instead.

The devs are thinking about changing the way fighters are at the moment, as they are very weak in general and then die very easily on top of that. The thought of having dead fighters slowly regenerate has crossed our minds. Someone even suggested a high tier module, that would generate fighters of a specific type as long as equipped. What would you think of that?

Yeah that is effectively what my idea was as well, tho my suggestion included design-able fighters which is of course a cute little extra of possible.

I do think having a part on your ship to allow regeneration should be required. Not having it enabled by default.

The pilots getting escape pods will also help with the fighter issue,  would it be wise to have them slowly drift towards you once podded just to prevent players having to chase them around constantly? Just a thought.

• Boxelware Team
The pilots getting escape pods will also help with the fighter issue,  would it be wise to have them slowly drift towards you once podded just to prevent players having to chase them around constantly? Just a thought.

That might be a good thing!

• Boxelware Team

As I have now talked with Koonschi, it seems he is more in favor of the pilots being inanimate cargo. But for the picking stuff up, and here not just the pilots but everything, he would want a collect option added to fighters. Like, e.g. you build mining fighters, that would always pick floating resources up, and for your normal fighter fighters a separate option.

I would be in favor of improving Fighters to be substantial part on their own, rather than making pretty complex mechanics allowing easier replacement. I've made some suggestions in my own thread, but long-story-short:

- Make fighters significantly bigger. Use real-world metrics for reference. At the moment they barely big enough to even count as Drones.

- Allow custom designs, that can be applied to owned Fighters, changing the parameters and Hangar limitations, but keeping the weapons. Cap the designs to ~800-1000m3

- Add dimensional limitations to buying Fighters based on Hangar dimensions. No broad hangar - no broad fighters on board. Larger fighters would require larger Hangars for Carrier speciality.

- Shields take much less damage (10%?), and Hull adds up to Durability. Each unit of Durability endures one hit from any weapon regardless of its damage. That makes Lasers and Tesla's the dedicated point-defense weapons.

- If a Fighter has substantial Durability loss, it returns to the parent ship for repairs automatically. Maybe let the player set the value per Squad.

- There are many ways to make Fighters harder to hit by improving AI - anything is better than flying directly to and away from the target. Fighters should have broader firing arc, that would allow them to engage at an angle. This way they can fire longer and harder to hit even when physically larger.

- Mining, Salvage and Repair Rigs has 90+ firing arc, that allows them to orbit the target and fire at the same time, improving time efficiency.

- Repair Rigs sent to Attack the target instead orbit it and repair the Durability of nearby damaged Fighters and one-another. If sent to Defend the target, they repair it and ignore everything else.

- Experienced pilots has maneuverability and durability bonuses.

When you make the fighter self replicating or even make them possible to build them self you need a system that the people not start directly to build the best fighter. My idear would be to say that a drone/fighter need 3 to 5 components with that components you can build a custom fighter. Engine weapons (miner/ laser/ salvage/ railgun/...),hull, cockpit, energy systems. To get this module you have to collect from killed drones/fighter blueprints for this parts. Or you can buy from stations and merchant. Parts from this blueprint or for a good sum a complete blueprint. The higher the system should be more blueprint are need or they drop lower.

With that you need only the possibility to give turrets the command to aim with higher priority on fighter bombers  etc. Giving fighters the ability to penetrate shields like in gradious space battle you get a massive boost for fighter use and defense systems. Even stuff like anti fighter and anti bomber builds.

When you make the fighter self replicating or even make them possible to build them self you need a system that the people not start directly to build the best fighter. My idear would be to say that a drone/fighter need 3 to 5 components with that components you can build a custom fighter. Engine weapons (miner/ laser/ salvage/ railgun/...),hull, cockpit, energy systems. To get this module you have to collect from killed drones/fighter blueprints for this parts. Or you can buy from stations and merchant. Parts from this blueprint or for a good sum a complete blueprint. The higher the system should be more blueprint are need or they drop lower.

With that you need only the possibility to give turrets the command to aim with higher priority on fighter bombers  etc. Giving fighters the ability to penetrate shields like in gradious space battle you get a massive boost for fighter use and defense systems. Even stuff like anti fighter and anti bomber builds.

What exactly do you mean by "the best fighter"?

I mean a fighter build out the highest tier minerals, bsp. avorion xanion etc.

With that you need the minerals to repoduce the fighter.

The idear to have diffrent hulls like, small fighter, normal fighter and heavy fighter, with diffrent atribute bonus and malus would be a idear to.

SMall fighter 100 hp space 3,bonus 15% faster movment and bonus to maneuvering.

Normal fighter 150 hp space 6 no bonus

heavy fighter 200hp, space 8 -15 % movent and maneuver malus...

With the hull the size of the used docking space goes up and how many you can storage, same think with engines.

THe fighters should be bigger than a little drone.

I mean a fighter build out the highest tier minerals, bsp. avorion xanion etc.

With that you need the minerals to repoduce the fighter.

The idear to have diffrent hulls like, small fighter, normal fighter and heavy fighter, with diffrent atribute bonus and malus would be a idear to.

SMall fighter 100 hp space 3,bonus 15% faster movment and bonus to maneuvering.

Normal fighter 150 hp space 6 no bonus

heavy fighter 200hp, space 8 -15 % movent and maneuver malus...

With the hull the size of the used docking space goes up and how many you can storage, same think with engines.

THe fighters should be bigger than a little drone.

making construction time exponentially longer and more expensive with material tier would solve that. since such a player could be beaten by attrition.

Especially the higher tier fighters, which can become quite expensive (multiple millions), die way too fast.

How I hoped for them to work was that you can use them indefinately, perhaps with durability or the loss of the crewmen inside them or a respawn timer.

Right now their health is way too low compared to the resources they cost to make, even when doubling their health in the fighter generator script.

Also some fighters seem to have only 1 hp after deploying, making them die even faster!