BetterTransfer : UI upgrade & Transfer cargo/crew/fighters - v1.12 (07 mar 2017)

Salminar

UI upgrade for transfer of goods.

This mod aim at improving the UI for transfers of goods in ship to ship and ship to station configuration.

Upon reading a bit the files of the game and the forum, i tend to put my version to upgrade the UI and specially the transfer part that was a bit tedious to use. And as i was working on it, i wanted too a way to transfer fighters as well as crew and cargo.

As i wasn't alone to look around this features we decided then to unify the projects as only one so it would be easier to maintain and let Lazerswei focus on his other project OOSP, ending in two slightly different branchs for how to transfer the goods.

Compatibility read first

When you use this mod on multiplayer, the UI part will work just fine, but the new features like the transfer of fighters will only work on servers that have BetterTransfer v1.10 or superior installed.

It don't matter which branch is used, as vanilla and convenient are fully compatible with each other.

transfer vanilla version :

transfer crew and cargo by one or by 10 by a single clic.

data\scripts\entity\transfercrewgoods

transferpreview.jpg?raw=true

transfer convenient version :

crew and cargo will be transfered by the number set in the textfield after clicking the attached button.

data\scripts\entity\transfercrewgoods

transferpreview.jpg?raw=true

The fighter transfer tab :

Clic the icon of the fighter you want to transfer.

/!\ You need to have the script installed on the server too for the fighter transfer to work. What version (vanilla or convenient) don't make difference as long as the server have one.

fighterpreview.jpg?raw=true

What is next :

A rework of the double scrollframe used on all tabs into a single one

Drag & drop for fighters

Fighter squads management

Known issues :

The transfer fighter tab don't manage more than 7 squads, having more than that will lead to a bug preventing you from any transfer.

The UI always display 7 squads even if there are none.

Thank you to HellkerN for his original post that made me look in this file for something i was looking for some time now

Thank you to Laserswei for the merging of our two projects in a single one. His original mod

And thank you for the HTML documentation, even incomplete, it helped a lot!

Changelogs :

V 1.0

cargo display raised from 9 to 20

added buttons to transfert cargo and crew by 10

added the fighters tab, still not fuctionnal.

V 1.01

cargo display raised to 30 to unify it with the convenient branch

Laserzwei transfer project added as the convenient branch (or modified on github)

original project become the vanilla branch (or master on github)

added the lv of crew while overing the quantity bars

V 1.02

added icons for crews and cargos for both versions

optimized some code, a few elements were repainted twice in a row

V 1.10

Fighter transfer is now working for both convenient and vanilla

Transfer range for fighters set to 0.5 instead of 0.2 for other goods

Upgraded maintainability of the code

V 1.11

Added freespace to the global bar for crew cargo and fighters

Code reworked and unified between the two branches

New tooltip for fighters

Added a function to get server version of BetterTransfer

Code improved in efficiency

V 1.12

Bug fix from convenient version 1.11, transfers being impossible sometime

Freespace for fighters have been rounded

Cargo that are illegal, dangerous or with a special status are displayed and highlighted

Fighter tab don't use anymore the scroll bar.

Fighters squads are displayed on a single line and not 2 anymore.

Cargo on vanilla are now transfered by 25 and not by 10 with the fast transfer button

Get all the releases in archive files from Github here

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome <3 Though Laserzwei kinda already nailed it here http://www.avorion.net/forum/index.php/topic,1880.0.html

But if you can add extra features like the fighter transfer and such, it'll still be great.

And thanks for pointing out there is a documentation, I hadn't noticed that, been sorta stabbing blindly until now, and that doesn't always work out well since I have about 0 knowledge in Lua, just experience in C#.

Well i'm currently working on merging the two project as Lazerzwei ask me if i wanted to maintain his version.

So i don't post my newest changes right now cause i want to come with 2 versions at once and try to make them compatible and maintainable as easily as possible. One version Vanilla which would be mine, and a Convenient which would be more inspired by his.

Could you add icons like NexusNull did on his version so it's easier to see what is what?

I'd like to see a combination of the mods where it's possible to transfer one or an amount input by user like on Laser's version but also with the option to move all the goods like on your version.

Could you add icons like NexusNull did on his version so it's easier to see what is what?

I'd like to see a combination of the mods where it's possible to transfer one or an amount input by user like on Laser's version but also with the option to move all the goods like on your version.

Icons have been added in 1.02, but for the more options to move goods and crew i don't think i will do it right now, cause it would be confusing and overcharging the UI. If i find a way to make it intuitive and nice maybe i'll merge both in one.

Nice think. Had current Not time to Test it.

Is it possible with this Mod to Transfer a specific Level of crew. That i can Take my Tier 3 Crew in a Transport frighter and Go and Level only the low Tier Crew.

Yes you can, when you point at the crewbar the level is displayed, so you can just choose to move your lv 3 mechanics or your lv 1 gunners with no troubles.

Updated to 1.02. Working on the fighter transfer but have many testing to do as it's undocumented.

Improvement:

- Add a the level number to the crew icon to easily identify the right crew to transfer.

- Didn't checked out the other tabs yet, but same should be on cargo and fighter to easily identify them. (Add screnshots of the other tabs  ;) )

+1 For a git repo and +1 to improve this, its really needed.

Posting a preview of what will look like the tab for transfering fighters.

fighterpreview.jpg?raw=true

It was much harder than expected as you can't use the drag & drop feature used to manage quads or inventory, the items can't pass from one side of the window to the other. (With many other issues linked to the drag & drop)

So i workaround with a combo of buttons and pictures to get this result. It won't be possible to manage the squad from this window until another patch from the game, but should make the whole thing work tomorrow.

I like what I see but not sure what the differences are, they are not explained...

Vanilla looks like two icons, one to move one and one to move all

the other one looks like a move one option?

Vanilla, the > is to move one, the >> is to move 10.

Convenient, you set the number you want to move in the text box. Maybe i'll have to edit that somewhere in the main post.

• 2 weeks later...

Again what version are you using?

And it really looks to me like it's not installed on the server. If not you can't transfer fighters.

Anyway there is a new version almost finished and i had a bug on the convenient (that had been hotfixed on the repository) and it should be solved in next version.

So that's why i ask a little more info about what you are using, to be sure remeaining bugs are removed before the next version that should be out tomorrow or this evening, depending how much time i have.

Again what version are you using?

And it really looks to me like it's not installed on the server. If not you can't transfer fighters.

Anyway there is a new version almost finished and i had a bug on the convenient (that had been hotfixed on the repository) and it should be solved in next version.

So that's why i ask a little more info about what you are using, to be sure remeaining bugs are removed before the next version that should be out tomorrow or this evening, depending how much time i have.

since you're putting out a bug fix, just to verify if this one was addressed... I'm using convenient and sometimes I am unable to transfer FROM ships, only TO. I have the gamefiles installed on both the server and my client.

The game overwrote the server logs but luckily a player on our server was able to provide it after I switched to the other UI in the modpack.

The screen would work for a few moments, then crash with this error:

Wed Mar 01 23:32:47 2017| could not execute function 'onShowWindow' in '"data/scripts/entity/transfercrewgoods.lua"':
Wed Mar 01 23:32:47 2017| data/scripts/entity/transfercrewgoods.lua:546: attempt to index field '?' (a nil value)
Wed Mar 01 23:32:47 2017| stack traceback:
Wed Mar 01 23:32:47 2017|     data/scripts/entity/transfercrewgoods.lua:546: in function 'updateData'
Wed Mar 01 23:32:47 2017|     data/scripts/entity/transfercrewgoods.lua:910: in function <data/scripts/entity/transfercrewgoods.lua:909>
Wed Mar 01 23:32:47 2017| 
Wed Mar 01 23:32:47 2017| Setting script "data/scripts/entity/transfercrewgoods.lua" to invalid.

Thank you, yeah it seem like the error before the hotfix, but apparently Github haven't handle it correctly or it's me that still have some troubles using this platform.

I didn't renamed correctly on of the table that hold the UI objects. Should it will be solved in next version anyway, i put a warning on the convenient release. I'll post the new one this evening with the few new features and reworks. Was aiming to make a bigger update at once but need to solve this correctly.