Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

The name of the game

Doctor Jaeger

Hi there,

quite a big topic but I have to bringt it:

THE NAME OF THE GAME!

Avorion.

It sounds good at first glance, but I can assure you, as a 35-years old gamer since the first small bits of gaming, the name is important. Avorion sounds quite good at first glance, like I said, but you really need something more .... hmmmm.... something that will stay in mind, have a glitter, something you will remind at first if someone asks you what you want to play....

I doubt many players will spout out "AVORION". If you'd ask me, I'd say, WHAT?

Okay, you will kill me now, but I will bring the example: SPACE ENGINEERS. Why not? It's quite simple. Everyone will have some connection to it. Something very easy but quite connecting. The "Space". The "Engineers" who will build the future community.

Another example, now you will kill me completely: Elite.... THE Elite... DANGEROUS! It's the ELITE, this game is PURE DANGER, hence the name DANGEROUS!....

Another example: The citizen that lives in the stars.... Star Citizen... DAMN! That will be kept in mind.

What is Avorion? Can you connect something to it? I couldn't. And neither could any of my friends. It's a good name for work-in-progress for pre-alphas but after that?

You really need a name that fits the ambition of your project. Something powerful, something easy as well, something that will be kept in mind, even if you don't think about it.... you know what I mean?

Your project is fantastic, you deserve the attention. You need a better name, in my opinion.

Keep up the good work, kick the throne-holders out of their places.

Yours,

The Doc

P.S.: Sorry for the bad english, for I am not a native english speaker...

The elder scrolls doesn't sound great or even remotely interesting to me. Yet it's one of the most popular RPGs out there. Minecraft sounds like trash but people love  it. X doesn't even even sound like it means anything to anyone, yet it's one of the most popular space sim series RPG/Strategy/Combat/Traders out there.

Avorion is a material within the game. It's something exotic, it's not mentioned anywhere. People will ask immediately what is that?

People don't look at games for their title, otherwise why would people play games like Empyrion, SOMA, or Terraria. Generally speaking, games with the most outlandish or indistinguishable names catch the most attention. In my opinion Avorion is an excellent name for this game. I'm 30 and I've never judged a game by its title. I'll always at the very least look through screenshots first.

The elder scrolls doesn't sound great or even remotely interesting to me. Yet it's one of the most popular RPGs out there. Minecraft sounds like trash but people love  it. X doesn't even even sound like it means anything to anyone, yet it's one of the most popular space sim series RPG/Strategy/Combat/Traders out there.

Avorion is a material within the game. It's something exotic, it's not mentioned anywhere. People will ask immediately what is that?

People don't look at games for their title, otherwise why would people play games like Empyrion, SOMA, or Terraria. Generally speaking, games with the most outlandish or indistinguishable names catch the most attention. In my opinion Avorion is an excellent name for this game. I'm 30 and I've never judged a game by its title. I'll always at the very least look through screenshots first.

Oh believe me, people LOOK at the titles. Imagine a discussion at your workplace: "hey mate, I heared about a new sandbox survival space game like space engineers but better." - "yeah? what's the name?" - "Avorion".... okay.... you get home a couple of hours later and already forgot the name... something with a.... aventur... avon... or was it different? I can't remember... never mind, I'll play cs:go instead.

The argument about people asking for avorion, and what it is, is legit. But if they can't remember the game's name for a couple of hours?

Well, I don't say everyone is dumb, you could write down the name or even search it immediately on your smartphone... but it's all mouth-to-mouth propaganda, especially for new "indie" games.

Well, just let that sink in, you don't even have to change anything, it's not my game and who am I to give an advice.

This game could be great! I will buy it, that's for sure and I really hope, the developers get everything they want. money, fame, girls! :)=

P.S.: What do you think if you hear the name "Empyrion" - An empire . Easy to remember, imho

What about Soma - Short name, easy to remember and gives some imagination about Insomnia or Coma

And Terraria - Terra, the earth. Craft and sculpt the earth.

Yours, Doc

I think the OP has a point, and not. I think an original game name is good, but I'm often confusing myself when i'm trying to pronounce it and I've been playing it a while now. Also i'm tired of searching for "Avorion -abortion where... etc.. etc"

I have to agree, it took far too long to remember how to spell the name when I first came across the game.

Freelancer

Space Engineers

Edge of Space

Elite: Dangerous

Avorion

Star Citizen

Eve Online

Astroneer

Stellaris

Star Conflict

Kerbal Space Program

I know all these games aren't really in the same genre, but one of them sticks out among all the others as harder to spell and remember.. I can see being tied to the name at this point, though.

Maybe it needs a subtitle? Something that forms an acronym and helps to explain what it is.

Avorion: Space Frontier

heh, my only problem with the name is ......

ovarian cancer

abortions

and 90 million topics surrounding the two. gets annoying looking through all that crap to find links on avorion. even separating av orion still brings up same crap lol

are the main topics that come up searching this game regardless whether you type it correctly or not,,, thanks google.

First, the problem with changing the name of the game is that it is too late for that. It's been released on Steam. Already, there are a whole bunch of YouTube videos - not just Let's Plays, but also guides, build timelapses, and people showing off their creations. Also, the game has been getting reviewed and being spread by word of mouth.

Even if it were possible, if the name is changed now, name recognition is lost. YouTube videos and reviews would be referring to a name that isn't even used anymore.

Anyway, I kind of like the name and I think it has a lot going for it. The game is named after the top tier material. This makes a certain amount of sense. And, to me at least, material names like Avorion and Xanion remind me of the faction names in the X-series, like the Argon and Xenon.

Further, it is unique. The value of having a unique name should not be underestimated. As an example, try Googling "Starport" and you'll get a lot of results for all sorts of stuff. Anyone who uses a not-unique name like that for a game is going to lose advertisement potential and frustrate potential gamers looking for relevant results.

Search for "Avorion" and you won't find as many results, but almost all of them are relevant.

Also, consider that Avorion is only 7 characters long. That helps make it easier to remember than a really long name. It's also easy to type into, say, a YouTube search or a search engine.

What google and youtube gave me on 'Avorion':

Lots of let's plays and quite a lot of Ovarion anti-abortion campaign stuff...

:-\ I call shenanigans. I just searched through all 15 pages of Google's search results and I could not find a single mention of the word "abortion". Also, I very carefully examined the first 10 pages of YouTube search results and all of them were about the game - nothing about abortion or anything unrelated.

Ovarion - Avorion... I can understand a person making that mistake, but not a computer. They're spelled different and that makes all the difference.

I agree with OP, the name isn't bad, but could be better.

The elder scrolls doesn't sound great or even remotely interesting to me

It's rarely, if ever, marketed as Elder Scrolls. Elder Scrolls Online is the only one that comes to mind and that hasn't been a great success. The great successes of that series were marketed with stronger names like Morrowwind, Oblivion, and Skyrim

First, the problem with changing the name of the game is that it is too late for that. It's been released on Steam. Already, there are a whole bunch of YouTube videos - not just Let's Plays, but also guides, build timelapses, and people showing off their creations. Also, the game has been getting reviewed and being spread by word of mouth.

Even if it were possible, if the name is changed now, name recognition is lost. YouTube videos and reviews would be referring to a name that isn't even used anymore.

It's not too late. Retro Pixel Castles changed its name to Rise to Ruins during early access, but after being released on Steam. Will it suffer from a loss of name recognition? That remains to be seen. Either way, it's definitely not impossible.