More physical ship upgrades

Hale

Suggestion

So the upgrades we have now are great and all, and are very useful, but I keep thinking about what the capacity for more -physical- versions of those upgrades would be.  Or perhaps even the capacity to make the standard ship functions we take for granted not come immediately.  What I mean is this:  You build your first ship, like you normally would, but instead of it having scanner and radar and all this tech, all you can do is fly it around, see the HP and such.  In order to detect allies or enemies or asteroids and what they have in them, you would need to build a radar antenna.  You'd have specific parts you needed, such as the scanner core and then the actual antenna itself, and you could add booster pieces to up the range, as well as being able to add your standard upgrade computer chips, that would then take effect and add upon the stats your physical scanner has.

I've taken a screenshot of a mockup I've made.

443085A0353C627203597A50F9015F26DD60E620

The blue could be the scanner core, the very base block.  The pink-ish block, the next one up, could be a booster core, that increases the range.  The yellow section above the light blocks could be the antenna base or some sort of sector core, though you might just integrate it with the orange piece above it, which is the antenna.  Without a scanner core you wouldn't be able to scan at all, without a booster core you wouldn't be able to scan for things of interest in other sectors, without the sector core you wouldn't be able to scan for anything within your own sector, and without the antenna you wouldn't be able to do anything at all.  The upgrades you put in the ship gui could be made for the programming of the antenna.

Just a neat idea, I think.  It would greatly increase the immersion of the game.

1 answer to this suggestion