turret factory adjustment

WARGAMES

Suggestion

right now turret factories require materials and credits to build.  but gathering materials gets tedious.  would it be possible to allow turret factories to charge double or triple the material costs?  if not that could it be implemented for the credit cost it's self being double or triple?

I understand stations and their stock goods will be adjusted to work better when the sector is uninhabited by players but currently with how the galaxy map slowly gets more and more fps intensive.  I'd like a possible choice for buying crafted turrets.  but by then turret factories may as well have stocks materials listed and if you could buy them as such for a higher price when stocks are low.

and yes, I understand credits and trading is far too easy currently and will be eventually re-balanced.

8 answers to this suggestion

I'm sorry, read it a few times but I still might not be understanding. So you're asking for turrets factories to have a scalar function, say just a slider, to have the player opt between using more goods and less credits, or more credits and less goods for a result? It would be nice given that most factories would probably have a certain amount of goods on hand. But if you opt to spend more credits you should have to wait to receive your product so they can ship the goods in. If you have the materials you're only paying for the labor.

I'm certain trades will be tightened up pretty soon so they aren't so massively profitable. The scale for profitability per commodity is high. It's certainly not completed yet since there are a few trade/manufacturing lines that aren't even set up. I've been running through the wiki for the last few days trying to get it ironed out so everyone can see it all laid out.

I've seen a few threads talking about how powerful crafted turrets are.  If it's hard to gather the items you need for them it seems more balanced to me.  It shouldn't be easy to just buy that kind of firepower.

I tend to agree with you here. I'm fine with factory produced turrets being more expensive, because they are certainly significantly more powerful.

That said, It's possible that the relative difference in power between looted turrets is currently large enough that at some stage it could be.....narrowed slightly?

I can't think of a single instance whereby I looted a turret that was better than whatever I had crafted. Even when the looted turret was of substantially higher tech level. I think the only time I ever used looted turrets was until i was able to craft my first factory set, at which point that set was categorically superior to everything i came across until my next crafted set. And the next, and the next, etc.

Not suggesting that its impossible to loot better turrets than you have crafted, only that with a sizeable number of hours into the game for me now, I can't recall it ever happening.

The point I'm trying to make I guess is that in my experience, looted turrets don't seem competitive at all, except when they're your only option very early in the game.

Be nice if turrets we picked up off wrecks were worth considering for some reason other than "sell, get creditzz" with a little more frequency!

Most annoying thing about looted turrets (apart that they are underpowered-or crafted are overpowered more likely), is that its hard to get a cohesive set of weaponry...

What I mean, is that my ship currently have5 chainguns all with different rof, 2 canons, with different rof and range, 5 lasers which only have short range AND you must aim them completely differently, because they have no travel time... and a few lightning guns for a good measure. And if I or enemy moves even little bit, its almost impossible to hit him with all my weapons :/

I tried to get all guns of the same type, but considering I have 20 weapons, its simply impossible, so crafting is only option - but crafting is long, and most importantly TEDIOUS as fuck, because just hauling and obtaining the mats is worse than full time job  - AND it kind of kills the fun of difficulty, because my few crafted turrets are so overpowered that its  not even funny.

So yeah, nerfing crafted turrets and making them easier to obtain would be great

I agree the crafted turrets are OP.. Though their cost and time needed to build them helps a lot with balance, but might still fall short.

Would it be possible to one or some of the following to help with this.

1) Make brand new crafted turrets more expensive.

- This would be the turrets that are currently able to be built at factories

2) Make it so that looted turrets can be upgraded.

- These turrets could never be as powerful as new turrets but would allow for better customization without all the time spent getting crafting materials. (resource types would not be able to be changed, you couldn't change an iron based turret into a naonite turret)

3) Make looted turrets recyclable

- You could go to a factory and recycle looted turrets for a random amount of parts needed to build that type of turret for a price.

- This would help in gathering the supplies needed to build brand new turrets.

I agree with a lot of what's been said.  I still dislike the idea of buying turrets with no parts required.  I don't think it's the base system that's broken but the calculations need to be changed.  Turret RNG in general needs tweaking.  Turret factories, loot drops, and research stations all need to be rebalanced.

I like the recycling idea.

DivineEvil had an interesting idea for reworking the system.  Basically, you can reverse engineer a turret you own.  The turret is destroyed and you get a blueprint that you can use with a factory to mass produce that turret.  I would presume that if that system were to be used the turrets produced by turret factories without a blueprint would be of much lower quality.  So that there's actually a reason to go looking for good turrets to reverse engineer.

the objective is not that the turrets are op, most of them are downright shitty except for the good ones you find in select factories.  the objective is so there's alternatives to crafting them by spending more to get the item.  look at it from a stand point from going to iron to xanion.  the whole way you likely wont craft turrets because you're too busy exploring and getting closer to the center using looted turrets.  what's the point of them then?  and most are actually shitty, while some are obscenely powerful.  I'm sure that'll probably be balanced out eventually, but the point again was to have other ways, if more expensive to craft turrets, if borderline buying them for a much higher cost from the factory.

the additional idea was that maybe stations and their stocks will get adjusted so most aren't empty of materials(inactive sectors not getting trades) or almost nothing, due to inactive sectors.  the other is perhaps factories for turrets may get stocks of the parts enabling the purchasing at higher prices, as well as more trading possabilities.

as another said, it's about cohesive weapons a bit as well.  who wasn't a little irritated that you had this hodge podge redneck ship of random weapons while every enemy had cohesive weapons to aim better at you(it looks so much nicer too).  but it's mostly to make it easier at the expense of cost.

I've had to hunt down through probably 50 systems to gather everything to make a set of 20-30 turrets to play around with.  so I feel like it'd be a nice addition as an alternative for every time you find a turret factory and get good standing, you'd think about making a few as you progress further.  instead of skipping them until you got the trinium or xanion just to hunt down the most overpowered rngesus turret/s you could find of the variety you prefer.

how ever I do like the idea of recycling and reverse engineering turrets so you could make them.  that would be fun and enable trading with others as well.