Regarding building turrets over found stuff

Enzo Matrix

like a lot said, the rng chance on looted turrets should increase.  the turret factories themselves probably need their seed generation focused better to narrow it down so there's less suck and a little less obscene turrets.  this is not as a nerf per say but to narrow it down.  right now most factories are about 70% garbage, then you get the other 30% of random obscene weapons that no drop can compare to.

I'm sure it'll get adjusted, personally I'd hope for the idea others have tossed around for reverse engineering turrets to craft them.  I just mostly want rng loot turrets to be better to bridge the gap.

I think part of the issue is that there's something wrong with the turret generation algorithm in factories. Sometimes lowering the amount of components improves the stats. I wouldn't be surprised if that same bug also bypasses any sane limits that may be placed on weapons.

Finding such a bugged turret factory is how you arrive at utterly broken weapons like:

B2B881AECF16BC0459515197CBE58886F523FE20

Note how the two damage components are cranked down to minimum counts.

Yeah, obviously, you lowered rate of fire of your railgun, that game got confused and thought its chaingun instead - and started using chaingun Rate of fire :DD  I can´t explain it otherwise, as railguns with 12rps is just nonsense, most my chainguns don´t even have this much rate of fire lol

I got good weapons... they say it is only 15k omicron, but the high level of shield penetration makes more than up for it.

I think you missed the fact that it was 27k PER TURRET, not total. Best I got out of drops was a total of about 30-40k omicron with like 30 turrets installed, these turrets almost do that EACH.

I don't use them though they are too OP, it just feels like cheating. I had them for fun when I fought the gate keeper and I took 25% off it's shields in like 5 seconds. All the adds were 1 shots. Proves the point custom turrets are broken.

This is with 36 turrets installed:

http://imgur.com/a/P9SlD

I guess... maybe burstfire is not meant for railguns :P

But the omicron value is really not all that telling.

I have e.g. bolters which give me a theoretical omicron of 200k. Should be wastly superior to my railguns with only 15k, right?

They aren't... they overheat so fast i actually have trouble killing stuff...

(mind you i don't build big ass ships... the largest i ever build has 7 upgrade slots with a computer core)

I guess... maybe burstfire is not meant for railguns :P

But the omicron value is really not all that telling.

I have e.g. bolters which give me a theoretical omicron of 200k. Should be wastly superior to my railguns with only 15k, right?

They aren't... they overheat so fast i actually have trouble killing stuff...

(mind you i don't build big ass ships... the largest i ever build has 7 upgrade slots with a computer core)

Yeah in the end they are not so great, for some reason they do zero damage half the time, I think railguns are bugged for that. They overheat on their 10th shot or so, but that's still close to a million damage in one burst. They cooldown quick if I don't let them overheat, so I can shoot another 10 approx every 3 seconds... That's still an absurd amount of DPS.

I still prefer my 3500 dps lasers as I hate dealing with cooldowns. In the end, my 10 lasers can handle anything the game throws at me on insane difficulty in a very short time.

I dismissed them at first, seemed like a bit like a fetch questy kinda boring thing I didn't care about. Then I checked one right outside the ring and noticed... its "ingredient" cap was much higher... making the items much stronger. You can even make a 9km range lightning turret. Its super inaccurate so it isn't super viable, but still a good example of what you can do if you just max everything out. The railguns also look quite worth while

Yeah in the end they are not so great, for some reason they do zero damage half the time, I think railguns are bugged for that. They overheat on their 10th shot or so, but that's still close to a million damage in one burst. They cooldown quick if I don't let them overheat, so I can shoot another 10 approx every 3 seconds... That's still an absurd amount of DPS.

I still prefer my 3500 dps lasers as I hate dealing with cooldowns. In the end, my 10 lasers can handle anything the game throws at me on insane difficulty in a very short time.

regarding the "hit / miss" issue with railguns: i think it is an issue with the server recognizing hits... i have it happen to me aswell, but only once the game gets somewhat slow very late...

And with ur machinegun rails that might just exagerate the issue

I've noticed the same thing with railguns. I recently made a bunch for myself at a factory; they claim their range is 7.08 km, but they pretty much always miss at 7 km, or even 6 km—even if I'm stationary, my target is stationary, and all of my targeting circles are green and centered on a large portion of the target's hull. It's like they just phase right through it.

However, under 4-5 km or so, they pretty much always hit. Personally, I think it's a range bug. Can't be lag when neither you nor your target are moving much/at all.

I also agree that factory-made turrets are far too powerful. I mean look at these things:

87be5a0bb3.png

That's 1288.8 DPS, each, at Trinium tier. I have eleven mounted currently, so that's 14176.8 DPS with 9% chance for shield pierce. They do overheat in 7 shots, though, so in just shy of 6 seconds of constant firing; they lose their heat after about 10 seconds. Even so, they can obliterate two full fleets of aliens from deep in Xanion territory in a very short period of time (I haven't gotten to the core yet).

Factory-made turrets should be maybe 25% more powerful than the best found weapons, not 3-4x more powerful. Maybe it has to do with difficulty? I wonder if enemies use/drop much stronger turrets on the highest setting? No idea, just a wild hypothesis. I'm not sure whether enemies drop stuff they actually have equipped on their ships, either, or if it's just random.

I've noticed the same thing with railguns. I recently made a bunch for myself at a factory; they claim their range is 7.08 km, but they pretty much always miss at 7 km, or even 6 km—even if I'm stationary, my target is stationary, and all of my targeting circles are green and centered on a large portion of the target's hull. It's like they just phase right through it.

However, under 4-5 km or so, they pretty much always hit. Personally, I think it's a range bug. Can't be lag when neither you nor your target are moving much/at all.

<snip>

Currently there is a bug with manufactured turrets around range there is a patch (somewhere) that fixes it.

My salvagers were supposed to be 1.2 range and in reality .68 is what they perform at.

The patch will only fix stuff as you make it not the stuff you already made.

I have yet to test this patch myself, but I installed it this morning.

I dismissed them at first, seemed like a bit like a fetch questy kinda boring thing I didn't care about. Then I checked one right outside the ring and noticed... its "ingredient" cap was much higher... making the items much stronger. You can even make a 9km range lightning turret. Its super inaccurate so it isn't super viable, but still a good example of what you can do if you just max everything out. The railguns also look quite worth while

Don't expect the advertised range to be the actual range though... I think I have yet to find a crafted turret that has the correct range vs it's tooltip.

Don't expect the advertised range to be the actual range though... I think I have yet to find a crafted turret that has the correct range vs it's tooltip.

Mods fixes that here: http://www.avorion.net/forum/index.php/topic,1984.0.html

Factory-made turrets should be maybe 25% more powerful than the best found weapons, not 3-4x more powerful. Maybe it has to do with difficulty? I wonder if enemies use/drop much stronger turrets on the highest setting? No idea, just a wild hypothesis. I'm not sure whether enemies drop stuff they actually have equipped on their ships, either, or if it's just random.

I really don't think building turrets should ever be the top items in the game. They max at exceptional.. not to mention it doesn't make much sense we have this alien presence who I suppose is vastly out powered by us which makes them boring lol. Aliens should be able to drop awesome stuff.

It is no fun when battling and looting is there just for money pretty much, oh a legendary weapon drop, should be an exciting time.. until you realize its not only 10 tech levels above your crafted stuff.. but 5 times worse than it to.

I think exotic and legendary should be able to surpass any crafted turrets of same tech level. PVP / Trading is not gonna work to well currently like this.

I won't build weapons because it ruins the experience, but gonna be lame when I play on a server and I am outgunned no matter what because I rather find my stuff from battles, not from easy turret factory.

<snip> Aliens should be able to drop awesome stuff.

It is no fun when battling and looting is there just for money pretty much, oh a legendary weapon drop, should be an exciting time.. until you realize its not only 10 tech levels above your crafted stuff.. but 5 times worse than it to.

<snip>

Enzo, you sparked a thought I will take to a new thread.

Hot dang Check this out. Found em to.. Not sure how it compares to turret factory stuff but these were well above my normal finds and was pretty sweet!

Them bonuses!

2zxvwcn.jpg

Highest rate fire bonuses and my top one yet I believe

2j0o1gp.jpg

Used my found plasmas and made my first legendary. I like it.. Good shield damage.

33f6hjb.jpg

Not sure if turret factories can easily outdo these weapons at these tech levels but I do enjoy finding them lol

The general issue seems to be that the stat ranges on turrets are too large, which as a sideeffect also contributes to the problem that a higher tier (dropped) turret often times will not be better than a lower tier one.

In this regard i think Koonschi should have a look at how most ARPGs manage item generation and stat ranges, because at the moment rarities have little meaning.

DWJx

Even on the border of getting trinium stuff this little beggar I picked up within the first 20 minutes of playing this particular galaxy is fourth in damage, only behind three cannon turrets. Until I hit stuff with shields it absolutely shredded enemies, and it's still pumping out crazy damage now. :)

• 2 weeks later...