The Nav-Computer is calculating jump route, standby...

TouhouTorpedo

I get why this feature is here, (stops you just jumping out of battles for instance without pre-planning what you're going to do) but does anyone think it's a bit too linear in how it works?

It seems to really hamper long distance jump drive setups, and I find I'm often playing the game by putting co-ords into the computer, then do something else like watch some videos or play a short game elsewhere while it's calculating.

Think this could do with some tweaking to make this way of playing a bit less of a waiting game.

This is indeed very annoying late-game.  I have enough shields that I can literally ignore 3-4 ships attacking me for about ten minutes without problems, and my hyperjump range is so long it takes multiple minutes for it to calculate the jump.  I literally open the map, set a target, and go watch videos on youtube, flip back, hit space, select target, go back to youtube.  Very boring, to say the least, and quite annoying that my jump cooldown is four seconds but it takes four+ minutes before I can actually jump at times.

We really need a cap on the max length of time that a jump calculation takes so jump-focused megaships don't lead to leaving the game for several minutes constantly.

I can't tell you exactly if this is the case, but I think there are actual calculations performed when you select a sector as a hyperspace target. I have no knowledge if the time required for those is the same as the one you experience ingame.

If the times are not the same, then I also think that the experienced time is not scaling well.

There are actual calculations happening; if you have not visited the sector before it has to initialize the system, and even if you have it needs to load models and whatnot. The thing is that this time is utterly independent of how "far" this sector is from your ship's initial location, and so the increasing jump time is just an artificial time-sink.

I can understand the need to have larger ships take longer to jump and the need for the calculation to take longer the further you jump. But man why does it have to take 3 minutes for my drive to cool down on a large ship? IMHO, remove the jump drive charge and cooldown, replacing it with power usage while calculating the jump. Power usage should be based on ship mass and jump distance, maybe even ship mass (Mt) x jump distance = GW. This would give us a reason to use batteries besides boost.

Four modules devoted to legendary/exotic hyperdrive upgrades, and a 160,000 resource hyperdrive core, I can jump insane distances, and my drive recharges in four seconds.  But it can take up to six minutes to calculate the jump.  And nothing reduces that except jumping closer, which removes the whole benefit of all that work boosting my jump distance.

I can jump to a sector, set a target, kill the pirates that attacked me, kill the aliens that warped in and attacked me, and still have time to loot everything before I can jump again sometimes :(

I can see the need for a charge/cooldown to prevent just popping out at any random point in time, but I also like the idea of using power to calculate the jump as well.  Perhaps even add a penalty to the speed it goes when under attack to maintain the difficulty warping out mid-combat without preparing ahead of time.

I would advocate making it logarithmically dependent on mass so it doesn't get so insane for large ships but retains a reasonable curve for smaller ships. That is if the devs think jump route calculation time is a good mechanic, which I am not sure of myself. What purpose does it fill? If the desire is to prevent quick movement around the galaxy it would be far better IMO to nerf the jump ranges rather than increasing the wait time. There is nothing more boring in a game than waiting for a countdown to finish.

Think about hunting a Player with more less calculating time.

U never will get one shot on any player, what a boring game.

Calculating times are just right!

but you can't "hunt a player".

If someone starts being hostile toward you right now in a sector, pick one the nearby sectors and jump. the calculation time will be low, and the probability they'll jump to where you did is already very low. Then jump further the second time.

It's not a good reason at all for there to be long calculation times over long distances.

Not sure what the fuss is about.. I keep hearing people have to wait for 5-10 min to calculate. I just calculated a 50 sector jump and it took exactly 2 seconds per sector, so 1min40. I know it's possible to get more than 50 reach, but that's already one hell of a jump.

If we remove this, we'll be able to jump from one end of the galaxy to the next in 3 minutes.. Don't you think this would be overpowered?

I'd be fine with a slight reduction from computer cores, but removing this altogether would be totally overpowered.

Not sure what the fuss is about.. I keep hearing people have to wait for 5-10 min to calculate. I just calculated a 50 sector jump and it took exactly 2 seconds per sector, so 1min40. I know it's possible to get more than 50 reach, but that's already one hell of a jump.

If we remove this, we'll be able to jump from one end of the galaxy to the next in 3 minutes.. Don't you think this would be overpowered?

I'd be fine with a slight reduction from computer cores, but removing this altogether would be totally overpowered.

I don't want the mechanic removed.  But, I would like a way to speed up the calculations.  When you think about it there's a hyperspace upgrade card that decreases the cooldown timer and there's a hyperspace upgrade card that increases radar range so can see where you are jumping to.  But, there's no hyperspace upgrade card to speed up the calculations.  It seems like a bit of an oversight that you can improve every aspect of jumping with glaring exception of the calculation times.  So, those always end up being the bottle neck.

It would be too OP to be able to jump instantly.  It's just that if I install like 4 different hyperspace upgrade cards it would be nice if they actually sped up the process.