Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

Build Mode suggestions

Thundercraft

Suggestion

I'm starting a thread here to collect suggestions on improving Build Mode.

• Being able to Scale a template (or whatever is in the clipboard) by a specific numerical amount, like x1.5, x2, x3, x0.5, 0.25, etc.
  • Being able to apply decals to our ships. Any sort of decal would be wonderful. But to be especially useful, decals need to support alpha transparency. Another useful feature for decals would be support for a glow map so we can have decals that glow. (Imagine being able to apply our own 'windows' as decals to emulate the "lights on" look of crew quarters.)
  • Having a Grid Size of 0.025, as suggested here.
  • Having a Snap to Edge option, as suggested here.
  • A slider to adjust the "Scaling" of the appropriate block texture. Also, I'd like sliders to adjust the X and Y start positions of the texture. This would be very similar to the "Scaling" slider in the Build Ship window on Shipyards, which allows us to scale the texture of the procedurally-generated ship.
  • The ability to easily share individual templates, as suggested here.
  • The ability to name and rearrange templates, as suggested here.
  • Being able to upgrade the materials of our ship for a given block type. For example, it would be super handy to replace any or all Titanium Generators on our ship with Naonite, Trinium, Xanion, or Avorion Generators with the click of a button. (Often, important systems like Generators, Integrity Field Generators, and Shield Generators are deep inside of our ships and difficult or impossible to get to without tearing it apart.)
  • Some function to either learn the name of the color of a selected block, or the ability to copy the color by clicking to make it the selected color.

Note: The main reason why I would like sliders to adjust the X and Y start positions of a block's texture is because it seems impossible to get the windows on crew quarters to line up in an aesthetically-pleasing way. At least with small ships, those windows almost always seem unbalanced or skewed or otherwise won't fit our shape. Worse, I've had the position of these windows change on me after saving it as a template or ship file and then Applying it to something.

18 answers to this suggestion

--checkbox for "exclude rootblock from drag select".

--button for "paint all selected"

--function to scale already set blocks(would make scaling ships up or down sooo much easier.)

--button for armour plating a selection of blocks with a set thickness of armour.

--checkbox for "aggressive merge" that will cause the blocks to be moved a small amount to ensure they combine.

--move blocks by holding M and clicking direction arrow(like holding R for rotation)

--heat-sink block

--the ability to set "hardpoints", or have "hardpoint blocks" that clip into a surface by design,  for both armed and unarmed turrets. that will mean you just need to double click inventory to mount turrets rather than manually position.

-- set turrets on edges of two blocks, provided the two surfaces are level.

--curved blocks(a game called robocraft had blocks only curved on one face. maybe that would work here?)

--sliders for ;

hull hp

shield hp

power generation

power storage

maximum velocity

added to shipyards.

--build queue added to shipyard(if it exists its not very apparent)

--checkbox for "professional crew" in shipyard

--checkbox for "conscript crew" in shipyard

---separate checkboxes for boarding parties & security when they are added including "penal legion" option.

1. Build blocks at an angle and rotate with the rotary tool stageless not only 90 °. Also in the "Display values" menu item and enter the degree value there.

2. Build blocks at bevels (eg corner), towers can be installed at any angle only blocks.

3. Determine the center of the block itself or set a center point (zero point) (as in mirroring)

4. Move the (individual) block at any point on the mouse pointer (very useful for long blocks) (as with copy with the Alt key)

5. When multiple selection of blocks deselect single blocks

6. Adjust lighting itself and equal at any angle (no sun effect)

7. more triangular shapes or the triangles can change into other shapes

8. The bar at the bottom of the build menu, expand the block selection to 4 lines (or adjustable)

4. Move the (individual) block at any point on the mouse pointer (very useful for long blocks) (as with copy with the Alt key)

Good idea. Too often I'm unable to position a block right because it just so happens that there isn't a block directly underneath the center or some such silliness. Though, if we ever get a "Snap to Edge", that should solve a lot of that.

I could imagine it working much like the Alt key for the clipboard. Holding down Alt could show a faint wireframe inside the block to show cubes representing the Snap to Grid distance. And I think it could allow us to move the virtual 'center' from the actual center to any 'unit' that makes up the block's shape. For example, if a block was shaped like this, with each "X" representing a distance of 0.1 (since the Grid was set to 0.1):

XXXXX

XXXXX

Then holding Alt could allow us to move the center from the actual center to any "X" (or Grid block).

Somehow, I forgot about that one, despite how I find it a bit annoying. But I've seen others suggest this, too.

Nice idea. Sometimes it's hard to see the ship I'm building because the lighting is so poor. And even if I have enough light to build, I may not be able to see clearly enough to determine whether or not I've selected the right colors.

Yes, this is needed. Currently, there's only a single wedge block and three different "corner" blocks. This isn't enough variety to build every type of sloped or triangular shape, nor enough to fill every corner or smooth every rough edge that using these sometimes create.

-- the ability to draw a framework of a basic shape automatically from smaller blocks. with a resolution slider to determine the size of the blocks making up that shape.

this would allow people to easily create 'round' ships, or create diagonal planes of given ratios.

if for example they wanted to make babylon 5 or an imperial star destroyer.

This is already possible, just select multiple blocks and while pressing Ctrl select the block you don't want in that selection.

Is there a trick to this method that you forgot to mention? I ask because I seem unable to do this...

You forgot to mention that this only works by clicking the middle mouse button while holding [Ctrl]. By default, the left mouse button is used to select blocks. So it seemed fair to assume that the left button would unselect, too.

Thanks for sharing though. This should be quite useful.

Spotlight blocks would be neat.  Useful, too, for when you're flying around in dark areas and want to see salvaging wrecks.  Almost like headlights for your ship.

OH.  EDIT. There NEEDS to be a drop down list of every block currently on your ship, categorized by type.  A menu of sorts with sub folders inside that you could navigate through to see all the blocks.  You could select a block like that and maybe change it to a different materiel or type easily.  Also just a list of how many blocks of different types you have.  I actually don't know how many generators are in my ship anymore.  x.x

I'm starting a thread here to collect suggestions on improving Build Mode.

• Being able to Scale a template (or whatever is in the clipboard) by a specific numerical amount, like x1.5, x2, x3, x0.5, 0.25, etc.
  • Being able to apply decals to our ships. Any sort of decal would be wonderful. But to be especially useful, decals need to support alpha transparency. Another useful feature for decals would be support for a glow map so we can have decals that glow. (Imagine being able to apply our own 'windows' as decals to emulate the "lights on" look of crew quarters.)
  • Having a Grid Size of 0.025, as suggested here.
  • Having a Snap to Edge option, as suggested here.
  • A slider to adjust the "Scaling" of the appropriate block texture. Also, I'd like sliders to adjust the X and Y start positions of the texture. This would be very similar to the "Scaling" slider in the Build Ship window on Shipyards, which allows us to scale the texture of the procedurally-generated ship.
  • The ability to easily share individual templates, as suggested here.
  • The ability to name and rearrange templates, as suggested here.
  • Being able to upgrade the materials of our ship for a given block type. For example, it would be super handy to replace any or all Titanium Generators on our ship with Naonite, Trinium, Xanion, or Avorion Generators with the click of a button. (Often, important systems like Generators, Integrity Field Generators, and Shield Generators are deep inside of our ships and difficult or impossible to get to without tearing it apart.)
  • Some function to either learn the name of the color of a selected block, or the ability to copy the color by clicking to make it the selected color.

Note: The main reason why I would like sliders to adjust the X and Y start positions of a block's texture is because it seems impossible to get the windows on crew quarters to line up in an aesthetically-pleasing way. At least with small ships, those windows almost always seem unbalanced or skewed or otherwise won't fit our shape. Worse, I've had the position of these windows change on me after saving it as a template or ship file and then Applying it to something.

I agree with all of these.

1. Build blocks at an angle and rotate with the rotary tool stageless not only 90 °. Also in the "Display values" menu item and enter the degree value there.

2. Build blocks at bevels (eg corner), towers can be installed at any angle only blocks.

3. Determine the center of the block itself or set a center point (zero point) (as in mirroring)

8. The bar at the bottom of the build menu, expand the block selection to 4 lines (or adjustable)

Most of these sound interesting.  But I'm thinking some of it might be a little infeasible.  Such as the ones that violate how the building grid works.  On point 7 though I have a question.  With the ability to scale blocks which also lets you stretch them into all kinds of different shapes.  What additional triangle shapes are you wanting?  Because, I'm pretty sure you can make just about anything you can think of using the current system.  Even sphere's are possible.

Added feature that allows you to either paint an entire block, or just the side.

As it is now, sometimes we are limited in how we can paint out ship because when we paint a block, it paints the whole thing. With ramped/slant blocks areas, it's hard to get a paint job with 2 or more colors, and it look good.

--visual progress bar for upgrade slots.

--refit mode> the ability to make blocks invisible so i can work on whats under them, without having to rebuild

--split mode> the ability to visually split the ship apart along its x, y, and/or z axis