[Mod] Detailed Turret Tooltips

lyravega

Tooltip crashes are game bugs. If this mod is bugged, it'll cause a blank tooltip, it won't cause a crash. Nevertheless, I put another update which includes that unused line. But as I've said, crashes are game bugs, a faulty mod will be set to invalid and simply stop functioning. Seeing that the patch notes for 0.12.3 (for example) states that a crash related to tooltips has been fixed, there still may be a few more.

Ah didn't think of comparing the vanilla files, thanks for your work tho! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Has anyone used this mod since the Alliance Update? Mine hasn't worked since the game update pushed last week...

I haven't played much since then, but I'm pretty sure it was still working for me.  Did you reinstall the mod after updating?  At this point, Avorion mods work by overwriting the vanilla files, so it's common for the files to revert to vanilla during updates.

Has anyone used this mod since the Alliance Update? Mine hasn't worked since the game update pushed last week...

Same here after fresh install on the new update, seems alot of mods got affected lately... The Gate Icons still working great btw!  8)

Same here after fresh install on the new update, seems alot of mods got affected lately... The Gate Icons still working great btw!  8)

I'm not really sure what's causing that as it is working fine on my end. If you are seeing blank tooltips, then something is breaking the mod which I'll need to fix.

If you can check the log files and see anything related to tooltipmaker.lua is giving an error, that'd help me. Logs are located here:

%appdata%\avorion

Put this on your search bar in the start menu (or folder path on windows explorer) and hit enter.

not blank, but rather the basic vanilla tooltips... and sorry i cant find anything related in my latest logs, actually there isnt a single line containing ".lua", neither in the latest client-log nor in server-log, even tho me uses multiple mods!?

I backed up the original file as "tooltipmaker bckp.lua" and left it in the same folder, but i dont think that can be an issue, no? I mean like, it wasnt before...

not blank, but rather the basic vanilla tooltips... and sorry i cant find anything related in my latest logs, actually there isnt a single line containing ".lua", neither in the latest client-log nor in server-log, even tho me uses multiple mods!?

I backed up the original file as "tooltipmaker bckp.lua" and left it in the same folder, but i dont think that can be an issue, no? I mean like, it wasnt before...

If you are seeing the vanilla tooltip then the mod isn't installed :P Maybe there is a different folder to install mods now that I'm not aware of yet, but on single player all is working fine for me as I've mentioned. Put the backup file to somewhere else just in case, maybe that'll fix it somehow?!? I have no clue on this issue, as this would've affected all mods not just this one...

- i freshly installed all used mods after the alliance update went live, including:

Avorion Command Package (working)

Clear Shields (working)

Compass-like Gate Icons (working)

Detailed Turret Tooltips (not working, as stated)

findstation (not working)

Fleetcontrol (not working)

showdist (working)

- the file in question is twice the size of the vanilla one and full of "lyr" comments (like you stated in the other topic), so im pretty sure i installed it correctly (it worked in the past, so pretty pretty sure), folder in question is within "steamapps\common\Avorion\data\scripts\lib\", as per instructions...

- when installing the mod "collection" i followed the same procedures as before the alliances update, so i would exclude a different folder for mods in general (cant say from a coding point of view tho, just what i would expect)

-removing the backup file from the folder had nno effect as expected

Any way to provide more info for you to track down the issue? is there a way ingame to see which scripts are used at a given point (since the client-/serverlogs were inconclusive)?

Any way to provide more info for you to track down the issue? is there a way ingame to see which scripts are used at a given point (since the client-/serverlogs were inconclusive)?

I still have no clue... Are you playing on a server, or playing solo? I'm not sure how this game handles mods on servers; what happens when there is a file mismatch and so on so to speak. I play local/solo, maybe this happens when playing on a server. Other than that, I really have no clue, I mean it's practically impossible for you to see the vanilla tooltip when you have a modified tooltip mod. Curious... I'll try to look around, mind you share your save file meanwhile?

edit: I noticed how big the save files can get, so how about you start a new different game, check if the mod is working, and if it is not working, share that? Don't know what I can do with that, but as I've said, I am literally clueless as to why this is happening :(

My issue was fixed per the recommendation of re-replacing the appropriate tooltip.lua after the update. The update obviously reverted that file to the vanilla so dropping in the modded one again got it working.

My issue was fixed per the recommendation of re-replacing the appropriate tooltip.lua after the update. The update obviously reverted that file to the vanilla so dropping in the modded one again got it working.

- i freshly installed all used mods after the alliance update went live, including:

gl340pw.png

I still have no clue... Are you playing on a server, or playing solo? I'm not sure how this game handles mods on servers; what happens when there is a file mismatch and so on so to speak. I play local/solo, maybe this happens when playing on a server. Other than that, I really have no clue, I mean it's practically impossible for you to see the vanilla tooltip when you have a modified tooltip mod. Curious... I'll try to look around, mind you share your save file meanwhile?

edit: I noticed how big the save files can get, so how about you start a new different game, check if the mod is working, and if it is not working, share that? Don't know what I can do with that, but as I've said, I am literally clueless as to why this is happening :(

All feedback were provided from solo singleplayer gameplay... also tried to remove the backup file from the folder, restarted game and still same result... (it shows on the screenshot above because i put it back there AFTER testing)

When i read the disclaimer window about compatibily problems with old saves and about changes to the shipfiles i thought "F*k it, my ships are saved and progress isnt much, lets start all new", and made a new creative galaxy in which i tested so far, so i guess there isnt much to help in my save-file... nevertheless, here you go:

Click me hard!

(it refused to let me upload the empty files blacklist.txt, group-whitelist.txt, ipblacklist.txt and whitelist.txt, hopefully that doesnt disturb functionality of the savegame)

EDIT: OMG, now i feel so stupid... using version 0.12.+ instead of my old one helped alot... who had guessed... ... ty nevertheless for the effort and sorry for wasting your time :/

EDIT: OMG, now i feel so stupid... using version 0.12.+ instead of my old one helped alot... who had guessed... ... ty nevertheless for the effort and sorry for wasting your time :/

That's... still interesting, because I cannot explain why you would see the vanilla tooltips. And the difference between that version and the previous one is one added line, which does nothing so far from what I can tell. I just added that line and a failsafe for a very rare problem, meanwhile working on some other little things and re-evaluating my calculations.

Nevertheless, I'm glad its working again :)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Apparently I pushed an update at the same day? Kinda glad that I added something to prevent the mod from trying to calculate the DPS of an nonexistent weapon. I have a fix for cargo and crew shuttles, after I'm sure it is working properly I'll post it.

edit: Put the update up, download 0.024 if you are on beta. Fixed the crew/cargo shuttles.

• 3 weeks later...

the version 0.024 brakes the fighter creation UI for me. i can add craft, i click a turret and the UI locks up. cannot create fighter, change turret, increase or decrease stats, when i exit the station i cannot re-entre and have to reload game. i tested it isnt another mod, its the only one i have loaded, ran game vanilla and was able to make the fighter.

edit

the other version fixes the issue

the version 0.024 brakes the fighter creation UI for me. i can add craft, i click a turret and the UI locks up. cannot create fighter, change turret, increase or decrease stats, when i exit the station i cannot re-entre and have to reload game. i tested it isnt another mod, its the only one i have loaded, ran game vanilla and was able to make the fighter.

edit

the other version fixes the issue

Can you take a screenshot of the weapon you are trying to create a fighter from? Or is it any turret? More importantly, after that happens, it should say something in the logs; after it happens, can you close the game, and go to %appdata%\avorion\ and grab the latest log file, and then upload it over here so I can take a look at it?

I've tried to replicate the issue, but on my end it seems all fine so I have no clue.

Great mod, but i have the same problem, I cant build any fighters, I cant buy them too, and when i exit the equipament dock, the "press F to interact" disapears

Yep, it's a sign that the mod is broken due to something, but I cannot reproduce it on my own, I've visited several docks, boughts tens of weapons, etc... but wasn't able to reproduce it.

When that happens, it should say something in the logs; after it happens, can you close the game, and go to %appdata%\avorion\ and grab the latest log file, and then upload it over here so I can take a look at it?

Ok, I've PM'd the folks experiencing the fighter creation UI lock-up, and it turns out one of them was using the wrong version :) If you are on stable (default) branch, use the older version of the mod, if you are on beta branch, use the latest version.

But as always, if you are experiencing any issues and suspect my mods are the issue, after closing the game, navigate to %Appdata%\Avorion folder, and upload the latest log here and I can check it out and locate the issue. Any help & suggestions are welcome!

Does this mod calculate correctly in Turret Factories?  I'm looking at a turret factory right now and the numbers don't look right to me.

-------------------------------

According to the mod:

Double Launcher Turret

DPS: 83.8

Damage: 2x138.4

Fire Rate: 0.3/s

(No heat build up)

+64% Fire Rate

Synchronized Weapons

Guided Missiles

---------------------------------

So 2 x 138.4 * 0.3 = 83.04  (close)

But the +64% Fire Rate would bring it up to 136.2 DPS, not the stated 83.8. 

What am I missing?

Does this mod calculate correctly in Turret Factories?  I'm looking at a turret factory right now and the numbers don't look right to me.

According to the mod:

Double Launcher Turret

(No heat build up)

+64% Fire Rate

Synchronized Weapons

Guided Missiles

What am I missing?

The weapon damage and fire rates shown on tooltips is after any damage and fire rate bonuses. The +64% fire rate just means that this particular turrets shoots that much faster than the "base" version of the same turret normally would.

So I dug into the modding docs and took a look at this mod.  There were a few things that bothered me in that the calculations didn't seem correct.  For example, there were times that adding more components to a turret in the Turret Builder would actually decrease the DPS.  In the process of investigating these issues I ended up building an entirely new mod. 

This isn't meant to imply that the OP's work isn't excellent!  I thank him very much for his mod.  However, the mod that I've attached is more tuned to my personal tastes and resolves the issues that I noticed.  Please feel free to include in the original mod or not.

WeaponTooltips.zip

According to the mod:

Double Launcher Turret

(No heat build up)

+64% Fire Rate

Synchronized Weapons

Guided Missiles

What am I missing?

The bonus to fire rate is already included in that fire rate you see, as it is in the vanilla. The little deviation is caused by numbers getting rolled up or down; either the fire rate, or the damage. Fire rate could be something between 0.296 and 0.304 and ends up being displayed as 0.3.

And adding more components to a turret should never decrease the DPS unless turret factories are still bugged; there was a time increasing/decreasing components had the opposite effect but I don't think that's the case. For eDPS, it should stay as it is as eDPS always takes cooldown and heat-up times into calculation. eDPS always assumes you keep firing without stopping, and firing faster in a cycle (from 0 to 100 and then back to firing again) actually doesn't make any difference due to a few factors.

It looks weird I admit, you see fire rate going up but eDPS staying as it is, however when you consider some other stuff it is like that. To be honest, when I first saw that value not changing, I thought I had a miscalculation somewhere, but when I looked at it with some examples, seeing that not changing at all was actually surprising for a bit.

Also, a few things for your mod, if you'd like to develop it more:

• The heat is generated per weapon, and some turrets fire all weapons at once. Unless you factor that in, you'll have wrong stats for such turrets

• You should pay attention to heatPerShot more, as a weapon can go beyond 100% heat, instead of capping at 100% unless a patch has changed it. Otherwise you'll have incorrect stats for anything that can heat

• I think you are incorrectly showing the DPS of a weapon if it is one of those that can cooldown faster than it can heat-up. If obj.coolingRate is 1 and stats.heatPerSecond is 0.5, then the overall DPS you have shows 2x the amount

Keep it up!