[Mod] Detailed Turret Tooltips

lyravega

I hope you don't mind, i am skinning your mod to look the way i like it, whilst getting used to the way that avorion modding works. All copyright goes to you I just wanted to make it look a little better for me :)

Excellent mod btw, really really helpful :)

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hope you don't mind, i am skinning your mod to look the way i like it, whilst getting used to the way that avorion modding works. All copyright goes to you I just wanted to make it look a little better for me :)

Excellent mod btw, really really helpful :)

So, I am new here and I have absolutely no idea how to add/install this thing...

You have to navigate to, steamapps/common/Avorion/data/scripts/lib folder

Find the file called tooltipmaker.lua, make a copy of it call it something like tooltipmakercopy.lua

and replace the file ^ with the one you download for this mod author. :)

So, I am new here and I have absolutely no idea how to add/install this thing...

You have to navigate to, steamapps/common/Avorion/data/scripts/lib folder

Find the file called tooltipmaker.lua, make a copy of it call it something like tooltipmakercopy.lua

and replace the file ^ with the one you download for this mod author. :)

Yeah, backups are always useful. Verifying works too, when you need to get rid of some stuff :)

Huh. Well I don't seem to have a data folder in the first place, or that file. (playing on steam if that helps)

I did try and just put the data folder and lua file in my Avorion folder but nothing happened.

Edit: Through steam it seperates the game files so the data folder is in a totally different location for me.

Huh. Well I don't seem to have a data folder in the first place, or that file. (playing on steam if that helps)

I did try and just put the data folder and lua file in my Avorion folder but nothing happened.

Edit: Through steam it seperates the game files so the data folder is in a totally different location for me.

Hmm not sure. My data folder is where my game is installed, under ...\steamapps\common\Avorion\ folder in my case.

• 3 weeks later...

Can you add recoil please? I figured out we can change size with turretfactory.lua, and I would eventually like to scale recoil (and basically everything else related to size as well, i.e. dps, firerate, psize, etc) with size but I'm not that good with lua code for that. Anyways, if recoil is shown, we can see the effect of changing size, and the modder who's gonna try scaling recoil with size will see immediately if his mod works at least visually if not in game mechanics.

Hey... I am not entirely sure how to install and use this mod could you break it down barney style for a poor dumb noob... I really need this mod in my life. However, my ability to translate computer speak is a work in progress. I just built my first rig and am trying to adapt to this new world of awesome.

Can you add recoil please? I figured out we can change size with turretfactory.lua, and I would eventually like to scale recoil (and basically everything else related to size as well, i.e. dps, firerate, psize, etc) with size but I'm not that good with lua code for that. Anyways, if recoil is shown, we can see the effect of changing size, and the modder who's gonna try scaling recoil with size will see immediately if his mod works at least visually if not in game mechanics.

I couldn't make any sense from recoil values so I skipped it. If you manually want to add it, duplicate a line (for example, Range; duplicate lines 339-344) then change ltext to something you want to see. Something like this;

local line = TooltipLine(lineHeight, fontSize)
line.ltext = "Recoil"
line.rtext = round(wpn.recoil, 2) --can't remember if recoil is recoil or anything else
line.icon = "data/textures/icons/target-shot.png";
line.iconColor = iconColor
tooltip:addLine(line)

Hey... I am not entirely sure how to install and use this mod could you break it down barney style for a poor dumb noob... I really need this mod in my life. However, my ability to translate computer speak is a work in progress. I just built my first rig and am trying to adapt to this new world of awesome.

More the Avorion folder in the .zip file or extract the zip to your "..\steam\steamapps\common" folder, where Avorion is located at.

CKSr2cF.jpg

Thank you so much for this!  So tired of having calc up trying to do the math on all of my turrets trying to figure out which one is actually best to use.  Turns out my burst turrets I thought were amazing have such low effective DPS they aren't worth using at all. 

Thank you so much for this!  So tired of having calc up trying to do the math on all of my turrets trying to figure out which one is actually best to use.  Turns out my burst turrets I thought were amazing have such low effective DPS they aren't worth using at all.

Oh yeah, burst turrets usually have insane DPS on paper but when you factor in the cooldown it really brings down the effective DPS. The only burst turrets I use are crafted ones if I can find a good one, if you lower their rate of fire sometimes they become good "normal" turrets.

• 2 months later...

I have a problem with some Laser eDPS numbers (don't understand them).

The one below has 323.1 damage/tick and 1 tick every 20 seconds. How can it have 64xx eDPS ?

Isn't it (damage/tick) / (seconds peer tick)  => 323 / 20 in this case?

Or is it damage/tick * seconds >= 323 * 20 ?

HAHA, now I got it :). This laser ticks 20 times each second. God damit, me stupid, me mea culpa.

Laser.jpg.957d26aa29c4398c7302ebe7a3711ff1.jpg

Great mod, devs should merge it (or a variation inspired by it) into the actual game.

I have a question and a request/suggestion. First of all, does anyone know how Ohm value of the turret is calculated? It seemed to me that it was pretty close to DPS, but this mod throws that theory out of the window. I am asking since Ohm in the context of the game should represent the power of the turret (even if it's arbitrary, maybe it takes range into account, or whatever), so I would like to know, if possible, the formula to calculate Ohm value and it's relation to DPS.

And: is it possible to fetch the Ohm value (the Ohm value you see added in build mode) of the turret and add it to the tooltip? For research purposes to asnwer my previous questions and for general comparison, DPS is fine, but I'd enjoy having Ohm value there aswell.

Thanks a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Great mod, devs should merge it (or a variation inspired by it) into the actual game.

Try this file. I'm not the author, but merged this file into the modpack for our server for current beta 0.12.1.

Incompatible with 0.12.2! Don't use it on server side, client side only still work. I will try to fix it sooner or later.

Try this file. I'm not the author, but merged this file into the modpack for our server for current beta 0.12.1.

Incompatible with 0.12.2! Don't use it on server side, client side only still work. I will try to fix it sooner or later.

Thanks for the info.

EDIT: actually if added as is, your file makes trading posts not sell anything (including licenses). The original mod however is still compatible with 0.12.2 it seems?

Yes thats the point, the trading posts stop selling when you use this file for a long time. I edited the orignal mod file cause the vanilla file was modified in 0.12 or later.

require ("cargotransportlicenseutility")

This line was added in current patches, but when i add this line to the mod something gets broken. If the original mod still works its fine. But the modified mod file works too for some time until the error appears, please tell us if it still works in some days  :P

What you can do at least: use vanilla file on server side, and mod file on client side, this works cause the issues with trading posts are on server side.

At all I dont understand why cargotransportlicenseutility was added in this file... shouldnt it be anywhere else?

Yes thats the point, the trading posts stop selling when you use this file for a long time. I edited the orignal mod file cause the vanilla file was modified in 0.12 or later.

require ("cargotransportlicenseutility")

This line was added in current patches, but when i add this line to the mod something gets broken. If the original mod still works its fine. But the modified mod file works too for some time until the error appears, please tell us if it still works in some days  :P

What you can do at least: use vanilla file on server side, and mod file on client side, this works cause the issues with trading posts are on server side.

At all I dont understand why cargotransportlicenseutility was added in this file... shouldnt it be anywhere else?

After every patch, I skim through the changes and see if I need to push an update. As you also asked, I have no idea why "cargotransportlicenseutility" is required in this file as none of the functions on that Lua is not used over here as far as I can tell (but consider that I only skimmed through the changes). Actually, the only function from that file that is used in any of the Lua files is the "createLicense" function, and it is only used in the "cargotransportlicensemerchant".

Anyway, long story short, after seeing that, I didn't push any updates. However if any errors are being throw and you suspect it is related to this mod, please provide me with a log so I can track the issue and fix it if possible.

Regarding to the file you've provided, you have one extra function in your file, that may be the problem.

After every patch, I skim through the changes and see if I need to push an update.

does that imply the mod is and will be compatible with 0.12.4 and beyond, unless you post an update?

Bonus question: can someone tell me how to get the turret's OHM value or how it is calculated (best case: in what file I could find that)? This related to my previous question where I wanted to add an additional line showing OHM value (exactly as with adding recoil, example few post back).

The recent patches affected tooltipmaker.lua, we also started experiencing client crashes when players opened their inventory and hovered over a tooltip sometimes.

This happened without an error as far as I know.

Comparing the code is also pretty difficult, in my text editor it looks like half of the code is at the wrong place.

After every patch, I skim through the changes and see if I need to push an update.

does that imply the mod is and will be compatible with 0.12.4 and beyond, unless you post an update?

Bonus question: can someone tell me how to get the turret's OHM value or how it is calculated (best case: in what file I could find that)? This related to my previous question where I wanted to add an additional line showing OHM value (exactly as with adding recoil, example few post back).

It is currently compatible. But may not be with a new patch. I'll update if/when necessary.

And I don't understand what you mean by OHM value. You need to explain your terminology, because the weapons do not have any kind of OHM value.

The recent patches affected tooltipmaker.lua, we also started experiencing client crashes when players opened their inventory and hovered over a tooltip sometimes.

This happened without an error as far as I know.

Comparing the code is also pretty difficult, in my text editor it looks like half of the code is at the wrong place.

As I've stated previously, the only change is just one line. Also, when you are comparing the code for the changes, compare the previous game version's file with the current game version's file. The only change is one additional line, however it doesn't affect anything.

Tooltip crashes are game bugs. If this mod is bugged, it'll cause a blank tooltip, it won't cause a crash. Nevertheless, I put another update which includes that unused line. But as I've said, crashes are game bugs, a faulty mod will be set to invalid and simply stop functioning. Seeing that the patch notes for 0.12.3 (for example) states that a crash related to tooltips has been fixed, there still may be a few more.