Ship subdivision and Selective Repair ideas

Lacrovich

Suggestion

Ship Sub-division

The construction system is indeed very good, but during our adventures, ships tend to become bigger, usually weirder, but always more complex, and therefore editing them becomes more and more of a pain in the ass…

Now, for the normal gameplay, a feature that I`ve been missing in the construction is a player-made subdivision for our ships. This subdivision would be something like: select a bunch of blocks of your desire, hit “make subdivision”, and TA-DA, you have yourself your very own part of the ship! Why the hell that would be useful, eh? While accessing a particular subdivision, the rest of the ship would be transparent and uneditable, giving you plenty of access to change whatever you feel necessary on that particular subdivision.

A good exemple of how this feature would be useful is this: in the early game, you might not have resources to make use of all types of blocks available, but that doesnt mean you cant prepare yourself for that - by making the ship with iron, the player can set a specific part (which could be in the inside of the body of the ship) to be the future shielding blocks. But, as the game develops, that part would be burried underneath other structures, forcing the player to find a way around to gain access to what he wants it to be the field generator blocks. With this feature, this work wont be necessary, the player just needs to select said subdivision and use the already existing “transform tool” to make the changes!

For more advanced players, with proper planning and enough creativity, this feature could be used to expand your ship with entire new previously built sectors. Now, some would say that this part is already in the game, either by copying to the clipboard or by some other method, but this would be a lil bit different: your design would be already there, just waiting for you, waiting for your “approval”.

That would allow us to build a ship in creative mode, divide it indo several parts, and later on “purchase” them

An exemple of how this could be is:

[*]Head

[*]Body

[*]Integrity Field Generator

[*]Crew Quarters

[*]Left Wing

[*]Cargo Hold

[*]Future Shield Generator

[*]Right Wing

[*]Future Energy Storage

[*]Future Energy Generator

[*]Tail Expansion

All those divisions would be created as the player needs, they would represent a group of blocks (with diferent shapes, positions, materials, etc) and would come with features like: visible (on/off), snapable (on/off), active (purchase), preview (on/off), and maybe more?

Selective repair:

Selective repair would work just as the name states: repair certain parts of the ship.

While running on my adventures, making my way throught battleing ships, rampaging throught the rain fire of laser shots, exploding ship, in more than one ocasion I (accidently) rammed my ship into giant floating rocks (who puts those there?!?!). Needless to say that hitting a gigantic rock does alot of damage to your ship.For my surprise I couldnt just hit “repair”and move on with my ship because I didnt have enough of one type of material. I had plenty of material 1 to make whole new ship but missing 30 units of material 2, and because of that, my ship was closer to a wreck than to an actual ship. Yes, i hit the asteroid pretty hard… And to make things more tragic, i couldnt build something on my ship either, because you need to repair it first!

Now, in my opinion, it would be very useful if you could repair parts according to their material connection. That would mean that if i have enough iron to repair my ship`s iron parts, but not enough titanium to repair the titanium parts, well then repair the iron parts and YOLO the other parts.

This would be even more enhanced with the subdivision system mentioned above, where you would be able to repair specific parts of your ship, according to importance, saving the more exotic material to where they are actually needed.

TL;DR: Make subdivisions to allow easier construction of your ships blocks. Selective repair lets you repair your ship based on necessary materials.

P.S.: I love this game though....Keep the great work

P.S.2: I may or may not add some pictures to make the idea easier to understand (if necessary...too lazy right now to do it)

:P

1 answer to this suggestion