Introducing inertial dampeners.

LordMaddog

Suggestion

A new Block type is coming to a galaxy near you.

Introducing the Inertial dampeners.

This block forge-able out of every resource type distorts gravity in such a way that it creates drag. Enabling its user to stop faster turn faster and maneuver at far greater speeds without the need for endless amounts of thrusters.

No longer will your epic battles consist of being a meat shield or flying in circles while going backwards.

No, those days are gone now you'll be able to engage in meaningful dogfights and design your ship in ways that utilize maneuverability over mass.

Be warned however this new block type does not come free of charge no the energy required to create these gravitational distortions is significant and the use of them will significantly slow down your max ms and may require you to have heavier engines installed.

With such drawbacks why would anyone use this new block you may ask.

Well with newtonian maneuvering one's flight path becomes extremely predictable and any computer-assisted targeting system can hit you with 100% accuracy.

The new Inertial dampener block also causes micro-gravitational jitters that are specifically designed to throw off computer assisted targeting systems this cobbled together with the new maneuverability this block enables its user to utilize, makes your ship very hard to hit and at the same time makes combat enjoyable.

8 answers to this suggestion

You know the sideeffect of too many inertia damper on your ship will be, you will be out of combat range very fast, since the recoil from enemy fire will push you around, not to speak about your own guns if you use weapons they got recoil.

You know the sideeffect of too many inertia damper on your ship will be, you will be out of combat range very fast, since the recoil from enemy fire will push you around, not to speak about your own guns if you use weapons they got recoil.

???

Inertia dampeners  create drag not lessen or negate mass.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_(physics)

Essentially it makes it so you can dog fight like they show in space movies.

I like newtonian non-orbital spaceflight a lot, one reason to play the game, because this type of flight enables so many awesome maneuvers, tactics and strategies, shadowing everything doable in an atmosphere.

In short:

Look, I'm always going into the general direction I'm pointig. Hm-Kay. Predictable. Linear. Boring.

Vs.

Look, I can choose my vector and attitude completely independant from each other, how awesome, so many permutations, endless possibilities in crashing stuff into roids, woohoo :D

I'd like it as an option, but definitely not as the basic vanilla system.

???

Inertia dampeners  create drag not lessen or negate mass.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_(physics)

Essentially it makes it so you can dog fight like they show in space movies.

is a force acting opposite to the relative motion of any object moving with respect to a surrounding fluid

ehhh, what kind of fluid are in space ?

Sorry but the whole drag concept don't work for spaceflight only for submarines/ships and maybe planes.

And yes reduce the mass is one method for inertia dampers in space.

I don't really like the idea of a system that causes the ship it is installed on to act in a way that is completely different from the other ships around them.  Especially if it's being done to turn Avorion into a generic sci-fi with "space air resistance".

Also, why isn't this in the suggestion forum?