[REQ] Freelancer flight style

LordMaddog

Newtonian flight mechanics might be realistic but they are any thing but fun.

90% of all fights result in flying circles why going backwards around a target or just being a meat shield shooting at each other. :(

I like the old incorrect style where you could have full on dogfights.

I believe such a style could be achieved in this game by just attaching a script that makes all energy generators and engines produce a massive amount of DRAG. This would be realistic if they used some sort of gravity distortion to operate witch could very well be the case.

Another harder but better way would be to make a new Iron block that produced drag and could be switched on and off at will. With this way tho the modder would need to add the block to all npc ships witch I am not sure is possible.

After this is added the Ai may also need a few tweaks like keep engines at set power% or mps at a certain speed during fights.

Freelancer still had newtonian flight physics just about - In other words, if you took a ship from Freelancer and put it in Avorion, it'd be one that has thrusters well-incorporated into its design. They are what give you the equivalent of drag. Mainly by exploiting the ability to stack flat thrusters, I've had little trouble ensuring my ships don't have the braking distance of an elephant on ice-skates, and it flies somewhere at a happy medium between Freelancer's flight-style and full-on newtonian. It's my opinion that thrusters are currently awfully underpowered as well as ugly if used in the intended fashion though.

Such a mod would almost entirely eliminate the necessity of thrusters, except for attitude control

Add more thruster !!

With my current setup, i don't realy have newtonian flight mechanis anymore.

I can fly in that direction my ship points.

Try it self.

Create an easy ship 2x2x2 block engine, 2x2x2 block crew.

Mirror at x axis.

Create 2x2x0.01 thrusters at the side the whole lenght of the ship.

Get crew and try it out.

Add more thruster !!

With my current setup, i don't realy have newtonian flight mechanis anymore.

I can fly in that direction my ship points.

Try it self.

Create an easy ship 2x2x2 block engine, 2x2x2 block crew.

Mirror at x axis.

Create 2x2x0.01 thrusters at the side the whole lenght of the ship.

Get crew and try it out.

I have done that my problem is that Npc do use newtonian flight physics and because of that they just float around like meat shields waiting to be shot :(

If the issue you want to address here is the behaviour of AI ships, this isn't a viable way to go about it. I absolutely want enemy ships to present harder targets through maneuvering, instead of just trying to close the distance as they do

The problem is that no matter how good the AI, the combat will always result in lame flying backwards and shooting at each other that's just what newtonian flight mechanics results in without extreme thrusters or drag generation of some form.